Dan Reeves Was The Best Atlanta Falcons Head Coach Ever.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan Reeves was an outstanding coach, he could take mediocre overall talent level and whip it into a formidable team. However, Dan Reeves was an AWFUL GM as it related to the draft, and unfortunately that came with the package.

Dan Reeves was an outstanding coach, he could take mediocre overall talent level and whip it into a formidable team. However, Dan Reeves was an AWFUL GM as it related to the draft, and unfortunately that came with the package.

Good post bro. Reeves was an average GM. I wouldn't say awful. He brought in the likes of Chandler, Vick, Brooking, Kerney, Dunn, Crump, Weiner, McClure, Big Play Ray, Ambrose, Duckett, Garza, Eugene, Tony Martin, Rossum, Tim Dwight, Salaam, Fin, Keion, Jefferson, Forney, Shaffer and Santiago. Not a bad crop. His two biggest gaffes were not having decent back ups for Jam and Dunn. That got him fired. I still believe Blank should have given him one more year. I really believe he could have finally beaten PHI and taken that 2004 team to our second Bowl.

.454 winning %? Two out of seven winning seasons?

Reeves was great at philosophy and being a great guy, but his record in Atlanta was not great. He had one really good season.

^^ this ^^

It amazes me that posters who cannot find a single positive word to say about the current regime, can criticise Arthur Blank for replacing a coach with 4 losing seasons in his last 5 years.

Best Falcon Regular Season Coach = Mike Smith

Best Falcon Postseason Coach = Dan Reeves

Smitty can become the best all time Falcon coach this year with a 3-0 or 4-0 postseason record and our first Lombardi. I really hope that happens.

What does that even mean though? Like, Smith all of a sudden changes what he does in the playoffs? Or Reeves did? What?!?! They are the same people. They dont change once its playoff time. If you like Reeves more, that is fine, but dont say "Regular season Mike Smith and Playoffs Dan Reeves" lolol they didnt change

What does that even mean though? Like, Smith all of a sudden changes what he does in the playoffs? Or Reeves did? What?!?! They are the same people. They dont change once its playoff time. If you like Reeves more, that is fine, but dont say "Regular season Mike Smith and Playoffs Dan Reeves" lolol they didnt change

It means exactly what I said it means. Smitty>>>>>>regular season. Reeves>>>>>>playoffs.

Just my opinion but getting to the SuperBowl once and losing while being crappy every other year doesn't do it for me.

I'm not even a big fans of Smiths but he is the best coach we've had.

If people disagree that's fine but yeah, getting to a Superbowl and losing means nothing to me when the rest was junk.

It means exactly what I said it means. Smitty>>>>>>regular season. Reeves>>>>>>playoffs.

and you actually believe that? dude, they are the same coaches whether it is the regular season or the playoffs. the calendar doesnt change how they prepare, call plays, watch film, etc.

if you like smith better, thats fine. if you like reeves better, thats fine. but saying you like one better in the regular season, and the other one better in the playoffs is ridiculous and is not the product of a logical thought process. smith coaches his team the exact same way in the regular season as he does in the playoffs. same is true for reeves.

Reeves took us to a SB. No one can debate THIS.

Just my opinion but getting to the SuperBowl once and losing while being crappy every other year doesn't do it for me.

I'm not even a big fans of Smiths but he is the best coach we've had.

If people disagree that's fine but yeah, getting to a Superbowl and losing means nothing to me when the rest was junk.

DEBATED!! Wut Wut!!

:lol:

While I agree Dan is one of the great NFL minds in the history of the league his playoff record with the falcons is a modest 3-2.

He would be a lock for the hall of fame if he would have won 1 of the 4 super bowls he lost. (3 den and 1 atl)

Coach 23 years 12 den, 4 nyg, and 7 atl. 11-9 post season in all. He did win two super bowl as a player though.

I personally like both but, Smith is the here and Now.

Edited by me4falcons

and you actually believe that? dude, they are the same coaches whether it is the regular season or the playoffs. the calendar doesnt change how they prepare, call plays, watch film, etc.

if you like smith better, thats fine. if you like reeves better, thats fine. but saying you like one better in the regular season, and the other one better in the playoffs is ridiculous and is not the product of a logical thought process. smith coaches his team the exact same way in the regular season as he does in the playoffs. same is true for reeves.

I like both of em you clown. I'm saying one is better in the regular season and one is better in the playoffs. That is an indisputable fact. Any questions?

Reeves took us to a SB. No one can debate THIS.

We lost that Super Bowl in miserable fashion. That NFC Championship game is still a classic though. I still love watching it. That year, we had a defense.

Dan Reeves

Former Head Coach, Atlanta Falcons

Years: 1997-2003 (6 years and 13 games)

Overall Record: 49-59-1 (.454)

Playoff Record: 3-2

Worst Season: (2003) 3-10

Fired after 13 games after failing to field an offense after Michael Vick broke his tibia in a preseason game, standing in the pocket. Not only did he fail to do that, he also failed at keeping the locker room together in a bad season when expectations were their higest.

Jim Mora, Jr.

Former Head Coach, Atlanta Falcons

Years:2004-2006 (3 Years)

Overall Record: 26-22 (.542)

Playoff Record: 1-1

Worst Season: 2006 (7-9)

Who can ever forget when Mora fell to his knees when Roddy dropped that ball. WIDE OPEN. I give a ton of props to Roddy for becoming the player that he is. But that's the play that got Mora fired.

Mike Smith

Current Head Coach, Atlanta Falcons

Years: 2008-2013 (6 years & counting)

Overall Record: 60-36 (.625)

Playoff Record: 1-4

Worst season: 2013 (4-12)

Hate him all you want, but the man is no doubt the best coach in Atlanta Falcons history. Not only was he able to keep the team together after a miserable season, but he brought in two tough nosed coaches to get the message clear. It's time to put up, or shut up. Out of all four playoff losses, the opponents the Atlanta Falcons lost to went on to play in the Super Bowl. Two of those four opponents went on to win the game. The other two narrowly lost the greatest of all prizes in the National Football League.

Unlike the Saints who got run over by a 7-9 Beast Mode team up in Seattle.

Plus we have Julio. He is gonna be better than Calvin.

Edited by dirtybird2k5

If you were to tell me that there is an NFL franchise whose best ever head coach has a .450 winning percentage and just two postseason appearances in seven seasons, I would tell you, "Wow. That's f*ckin' sad." I'm sure that would be the response of any NFL fan that wasn't a blind homer of said team.

Amazing how much some people value fluke Super Bowl appearances in which the end result was an embarrassing beatdown at the hands of a team that actually had business being there.