Tuggle'2

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/56062/falcons-camp-report-day-6

Falcons Camp Report: Day 6

July, 31, 2014

Jul 31

9:55

PM ET

By Vaughn McClure | ESPN.com

FLOWERY BRANCH, GA. -- A daily review of the hot topics from Atlanta Falcons' training camp:

• The Matt Ryan-to-Julio Jones connection wasn't working at first, but the two eventually connected on a long ball down the left sideline where Jones caught the ball in stride over the shoulder. It drew the biggest reaction from the fans, who have anxiously awaited for Jones -- the star receiver -- to do his thing coming off foot surgery. He gained 10 pounds of muscle coming into training camp but still appears to have the same blazing speed. "I still feel like I can beat one-on-one matchups," Jones said. Cornerbacks Desmond Trufant and Robert Alford did a good job keeping up with Jones throughout practice.

• The Falcons again practiced in pads, which meant for some hard hits. Safety William Moore delivered a few punishing blows, as expected, while rookie linebackers Prince Shembo and Marquis Spruill put some nice pops on a couple running backs. "Guys had the day off yesterday, so we wanted to have some physical play out there," coach Mike Smith said. "There was goal line and short yardage in our install, so that kind of worked out really good for us to go out and bang. I thought it was competitive. One session was won by the offense. One session was won by the defense. And that's what you really want at this point in time."

• Smith said linebacker Pat Angerer, who complained of headaches after Tuesday's practice, is going through the concussion protocol. It remains unclear when Angerer will be back in action. The Falcons continue to look at veteran linebackers. Also, rookie safety Dez Southward suffered a knee injury and will be sidelined for a week. Sean Baker ran with the second team defense at safety alongside Kemal Ishmael with Southward out.

• Smith said he had a conversation with defensive tackle Peria Jerry after lunch, and Jerry said he was going to retire. Smith did not share details of the conversation but wished Jerry well. ... Smith said that "Friday Night Lights" will include a halftime show, then the Falcons will "go out there and play real football." So expect some hard hitting under the lights. ... Defensive end Tyson Jackson showed some veteran leadership by pulling rookie Ra'Shede Hageman aside to help tutor him on some pass rush technique. ... Outside linbacker Jonathan Massaquoi picked off a tipped pass to end practice. ... 6-foot linebacker Paul Worrilow played some nice defense in the end zone on 6-foot-8 tight end Levine Toilolo to knock the ball away.

• Next up: KIA Motors "Friday Night Lights" at Archer High School in Lawrenceville, Georiga, today from 6:45 p.m. ET to 9:10.

Julio gaining the 10 more lbs of muscle is intriguing. That man is an absolute monster. He's ready to get physical. Over all I loved what I read. McClure is such a top notch guy to have, mucho props.

true but I also wonder at this point how much of what a player "gains" is just them regaining the mass they had before the season started last year (that was subsequently lost). I'd like to know how much weight they have gained since the start of last season if the world was perfect

"Also, rookie safety Dez Southward suffered a knee injury and will be sidelined for a week. Sean Baker ran with the second team defense at safety"

Really thought that said Sam Baker...I figured he lets people by him so it's just as if DeCoud was still there...

Sam would probably be an upgrade to Decoud honestly. I bet he could at least tackle!

true but I also wonder at this point how much of what a player "gains" is just them regaining the mass they had before the season started last year (that was subsequently lost). I'd like to know how much weight they have gained since the start of last season if the world was perfect

I think it means he is 10lbs up from his playing weight last year. 10 more lbs of muscle. Interesting point though for sure. Now I am curious!

Need someone with official weights!

I'm fairly confident the 10lbs julio gained is him getting back to his training camp weight from last year

He played at 220 during the 2012 season, and bulked to 229 by TC before last season. I imagine this is the weight of him going from 220(post surgery weight loss) back to his 229 from last season

Julio gaining the 10 more lbs of muscle is intriguing. That man is an absolute monster. He's ready to get physical. Over all I loved what I read. McClure is such a top notch guy to have, mucho props.

He really does a great job. Feels like he's a hometown guy instead of an ESPN employee.

He really does a great job. Feels like he's a hometown guy instead of an ESPN employee.

Yeah he really impressed me with the way he jumped right in coming from Chicago. One would never know it by the stuff he writes that he had nothing to do with Atlanta a short while ago.

I was looking at a photo Von McClure posted of Julio.

All gay-jokes aside Julio looks thicker in his butt and thighs. I think I heard he had been doing a ton of squats to strengthen his hamstrings

I was looking at a photo Von McClure posted of Julio.

All gay-jokes aside Julio looks thicker in his butt and thighs. I think I heard he had been doing a ton of squats to strengthen his hamstrings

Squats won't do much for hammies but yeah he's said he's been focusing on being more balanced and working harder on his lower body. Good news

Squats won't do much for hammies but yeah he's said he's been focusing on being more balanced and working harder on his lower body. Good news

Are you like big into weight lifting and all that? I don't see how squats wouldn't strengthen your hamstrings but I am no expert

post-542210-0-59231000-1406872285_thumb.

Edited by RYNE

http://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/2013/04/30/hamstrings-squats/

The squat is not a suitable exercise for developing the hamstrings. Therefore, where hamstring development is required for sports performance or for injury prevention, other exercises should be introduced into a program, such as the Nordic curl or Romanian deadlift.

Mindd you this is the first thing I came up with on google, but from my personal experience, doing reverse leg curls works hammies wayyyy harder than squats, now romanian deadlifts on the other hand...

Are you like big into weight lifting and all that? I don't see how squats wouldn't strengthen your hamstrings but I am no expert

They work your quads primarily, with the hamstrings as a secondary

If you were to only squat you would have extremely overdeveloped quads in comparison to your hamstrings. But obviously julio is doing a variety of exercises that will target solely his hamstrings

If I remember correctly something julio said a few weeks ago it was that he has become more balanced- and seemed specifically in reference to development of his lower body and also hamstrings comparatively with his quads.

I'm interested to know if he really put on 10 MORE lbs from his weight of 229 during TC last year. 240 is huge

From Jeanna Thomas @ The Falcoholic.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/7/30/5951333/falcons-training-camp-review-july-29-2014

When asked about quarterback Matt Ryan's leadership, Smith praised Ryan for stepping up as a leader from day one. Smith also said, "[Ryan] believes and I believe that he needs to have a voice in what we are doing offensively."

This is great news to me. Ryan most certainly needs to be let loose out there and be a big part of what's being called.

If I remember correctly something julio said a few weeks ago it was that he has become more balanced- and seemed specifically in reference to development of his lower body and also hamstrings comparatively with his quads.

I'm interested to know if he really put on 10 MORE lbs from his weight of 229 during TC last year. 240 is huge

Julio is always talking about balance, I remember him saying he started working the opposite side of his abdomen after he broke his foot bone the first time.

Julio is always talking about balance, I remember him saying he started working the opposite side of his abdomen after he broke his foot bone the first time.

Yeah I remember going into the 2012 season him talking about working his core more etc

Before last season he talked about being more balanced

Tbh I think he's been balanced just fine. Unfortunately he's had some bad luck with that foot. Hopefully we never hear about his foot again

I really want to know if he's seriously at 240 now, while I know he would still beast at that weight, I believe 227ish was ideal. Perfect combo of size/weight to let him be big and strong while maintaining his speed and agility

I thought Ryan looked great in all but the first 11-on-11 about midway through practice. After that I can’t remember him making an incorrect read, but your right, the drops did hurt. Roddy had a bad case of the drops yesterday.

I agree that TJ clearly stands out as the best of the rest at QB. Has a nice zip on his short throws.

Willy Mo put a sick hit on Quizz yesterday. Quizz was running with the first team, and didn’t do much to impress besides an early reception. Think Antone and Freeman might be battling for a time share with Quizz if SJax doesn’t get healthy.

Check the resume, it's risky business in the A.

by KMarch on Jul 30, 2014 | 7:50 AM

Jeanna - I heard Sam Baker is getting beat like a drum and Hawley is being abused. Have you observed that?

Mrs. Leverlilly: But that's a priceless Steinway!

Clouseau: Not anymore!

by DarricktheRed on Jul 30, 2014 | 7:48 AM

I have not observed that, but I heard about it. I think the radio guys like to stir things up to get people to call in.

The whole line looked sluggish early yesterday but improved as the day wore in. Hawley has gotten beat in some one on one drills, but that’s not a real-world application for the center position. It’s too early to be concerned. I think the line across the board looks better than they did last season in the limited context of practice. We’ll know more in that first preseason game.

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

by Jeanna Thomas on Jul 30, 2014 | 8:31 AM

I'm going to chime in here, though I haven't seen Baker since last weekend

You guys all appear to be hearing this from the same source, because she’s fielding this question left and right. Baker hasn’t looked fantastic, but from everything I’ve seen and heard, he’s been fine.

by Dave Choate on Jul 30, 2014 | 8:07 AM

Sounds like 1. Dukes really doesn't know what he's talking about and 2. Ryan is doing fine.

. ... Defensive end Tyson Jackson showed some veteran leadership by pulling rookie Ra'Shede Hageman aside to help tutor him on some pass rush technique. ...

So does this not concern anyone? Jackson, with his 9 career sacks in 5 years of playing time is tutoring our rookie on pass rushing technique?

- mostly kidding here, but still that was my 1st thought when I read the comment.

So does this not concern anyone? Jackson, with his 9 career sacks in 5 years of playing time is tutoring our rookie on pass rushing technique?

- mostly kidding here, but still that was my 1st thought when I read the comment.

I get you, it's just that the small amount of negative news about Hageman is his lack of technique. He seems to be over thinking some things too. I liked hearing that the vets are stepping up and helping him. Apparently Osi is doing it too if that helps any. Osi has more clout in the pass rushing department. I don't think any mentoring or tutoring is a bad thing though.

He's probably just giving tips as it pertains to coming from the 5 technique