Just Some Observations From Today (No Pics Included)

CTann

I got there 30 minutes after practice started so I don't know what happened at the start.

-Tyler Starr IS a pretty big dude.

-Tyler Starr jumped the gun a little too early on one play and Smitty corrected him.

-Bartu had a good pass deflection against Toilolo along the sideline.

-Soliai is going to be a lot for the opposing OL to handle.

-Lowery had a nice pass breakup against HD (pretty sure it was HD).

-Matt's and Julio's timing were a little off at first.

-Later in practice Matt connected with Julio on a nicely thrown long ball over Tru.

-I know the word the other day was that Yates didn't look so good but today he was really impressive.

-Biermann had a nice run stop that allowed Freeman only a yard or so.

-Shembo with a decent deflection against Mickey Shuler (Renfree).

-Baker didn't look bad from what I saw. One play he really stood out by containing an outside speed rush (was either Osi or Mass, couldn't really tell from my angle).

-Our boy Willy 'Monday' stripped the ball from Roddy on one play.

-Bernard Reedy impressed me on a play where he caught a long ball from Yates (Arenas defending).

-I now understand the hype about Hester providing use as a receiver. He looked good out there running routes and catching balls. Had a touchdown over Arenas in a goal-line situation that involved a perfectly thrown ball from Matt.

-Overall the coverage looked a lot more in sync. The 1st team defense looks like they all understand their assignments and are able to stay with their man for a little longer. I think we'll see more coverage sacks, if anything, this year.

-One play Worrilow would blitz the A or B gap with Bartu dropping back. The next play Worrilow is the one showing blitz but drops back and out of nowhere Bartu is fiercely attacking the A gap. These two are keepers. They're only going to get better. Watching them and it's hard to believe that they were both undrafted rookies last year.

-McClain had an INT on Renfree where he timed the receiver's route and jumped in front and off to the races McClain went.

-Boldewijn had stone hands on a long ball that was right to him from Yates.

-The goal-line run defense looks solid from both the 1st and 2nd team defenses.

-Massaquoi pulled in an interception in the goal-line situation mini-game that ended practice.

Both the offense and defense had a lot of fun and entertainment from the goal-line mini-game. Would definitely say that the defense won it overall.

Most likely going to go Monday when the Titans are in town!

Edited by CTann

If the line can actually block I like the idea of being able to go 4 WR 1 RB, Douglas and Hester (atleast with speed if not route running) will eat up nickel and dime backs and Ryan will find the open man if someone from the D isn't in the backfield as soon as it's snapped.

If Jackson can get out of the wheelchair he'll feast on those fronts.

Tyler Starr didnt look all that big to me..

Really?! Obviously not as big as TJax or Soliai but to me he seemed a lot bigger than I was expecting.

Have you noticed Jeff Matthews arm? Unreal

Haven't seen anything from Jeff Matthews.

Willy 'Monday'?? that's a new one

Thanks for the notes. If Hester is able to regularly get on the field as a WR, that would be an unexpected bonus

No prob! I'm no expert by any means but I still like to give some input. Lol I didn't dub the man "Willy Monday," somebody else did the other day.

I kind of thought that Hester as a WR was a gimmick whenever I heard the reports, but I'm actually surprised.

Edited by CTann

I'd like to see Hester on some crossing routes underneath Julio going vertical to give Ryan easy chunks when the D plays man and doubles/runs with Julio when he goes deep.

Also our WR screens to Hester and then the fake screen and send him vertical

I can't wait to see Matthews get out there and clobber someone on one of those

Really?! Obviously not as big as TJax or Soliai but to me he seemed a lot bigger than I was expecting.

Haven't seen anything from Jeff Matthews.

No prob! I'm no expert by any means but I still like to give some input. Lol I didn't dub the man "Willy Monday," somebody else did the other day.

I kind of thought that Hester as a WR was a gimmick whenever I heard the reports, but I'm actually surprised.

That would be me lol. I hate autocorrect sometimes

I'd like to see Hester on some crossing routes underneath Julio going vertical to give Ryan easy chunks when the D plays man and doubles/runs with Julio when he goes deep.

Also our WR screens to Hester and then the fake screen and send him vertical

I can't wait to see Matthews get out there and clobber someone on one of those

They were running quite a decent number of end-arounds to Hester whenever I first got there.

I actually thought it was Great. If he didn't already have War I'm sure Willie Monday would be his nickname.

Man and here's the thing, not even kidding. After a play was done and while waiting for everyone to setup for the next play, I looked over and laughed because I saw Willy Mo walking a few steps in a stance that looked like he was about to jack somebody up.

I said to my brother,

"I laughed cause I saw Willy Mo prowling around the field as if he was going to hit somebody but there wasn't even anything going on. Wait a second...W.A.R. Willy Mo Always Ready. Woah he's living up to his name!"

Was really funny and kind of ironic, I talked myself into reasoning that Willy Mo REALLY is always ready! laugh.png

They were running quite a decent number of end-arounds to Hester whenever I first got there.

Cool, were they like the "Jet Sweep" where the WR runs right behind the OL across the formation or the kind where the WR runs a bubble and comes behind the RB and everyone?

Like everything it all comes down to finally getting some decent blocking. If we can get an edge or crease on those WR runs then we can come back with the fake and hand it off the other direction and then the double fake homerun over the top

So sick of that horrible display of being unable to run block pass block or do anything at all

Cool, were they like the "Jet Sweep" where the WR runs right behind the OL across the formation or the kind where the WR runs a bubble and comes behind the RB and everyone?

Like everything it all comes down to finally getting some decent blocking. If we can get an edge or crease on those WR runs then we can come back with the fake and hand it off the other direction and then the double fake homerun over the top

So sick of that horrible display of being unable to run block pass block or do anything at all

Pretty sure they were all jet sweeps but I could be wrong. Whenever I was walking onto the field and up the hill to find a spot to sit is literally whenever they were already doing those end around plays so I had to walk and look at the same time. They still did some more after I sat down but to tell you the truth I was too busy scanning the defensive personnel and boom the ball was snapped and around came Hester. Hester wasn't the only WR that was involved in carrying the rock, almost wanna say that HD had a couple.

Pretty sure they were all jet sweeps but I could be wrong. Whenever I was walking onto the field and up the hill to find a spot to sit is literally whenever they were already doing those end around plays so I had to walk and look at the same time. They still did some more after I sat down but to tell you the truth I was too busy scanning the defensive personnel and boom the ball was snapped and around came Hester. Hester wasn't the only WR that was involved in carrying the rock, almost wanna say that HD had a couple.

Awesome I feel like those "end arounds" where the WR comes all the way behind the whole formation it's too easy for an edge defender to get into the backfield especially once it's on film and you're looking at 2nd and 16 and your drive stalled, whereas when they hug the line of scrimmage like a TE motioning across it's hard for the defenders to tell who has the ball until the guy is by them and if they do it's not that big of a loss.

I like the idea of getting the ball in some speedy hands underneath, would like to see Smith get it some and can't wait to see Freeman he looks very quick on his highlights , for way too long on 3rd down defenses worry about the wideouts and have no concern of any speed underneath from the backfield or anywhere, time to get some chunks on short passes to guys other than our stars

Awesome I feel like those "end arounds" where the WR comes all the way behind the whole formation it's too easy for an edge defender to get into the backfield especially once it's on film and you're looking at 2nd and 16 and your drive stalled, whereas when they hug the line of scrimmage like a TE motioning across it's hard for the defenders to tell who has the ball until the guy is by them and if they do it's not that big of a loss.

I like the idea of getting the ball in some speedy hands underneath, would like to see Smith get it some and can't wait to see Freeman he looks very quick on his highlights , for way too long on 3rd down defenses worry about the wideouts and have no concern of any speed underneath from the backfield or anywhere, time to get some chunks on short passes to guys other than our stars

Yep. Kinda like how whenever Koetter brought the bubble screens they were a huge success but eventually defenses figured it out because they knew our offense's tendencies of when we were going to go with a bubble screen to Julio.

Don't take what I'm about to say too seriously because I'm most likely wrong.

BUT I almost want to say that I saw the offense run 'triple option looking plays' for 2-3 plays in a row. There were two backs (couldn't even tell you which two they were) in the backfield and Matt (moving towards the right side of the OL) acted as if he was about to toss it to the guy who was running out towards the left but instead he gave it to the back who was moving out on the right side of the OL with him. The next play was the opposite; same directions of Matt and the two backs but this time Matt acted as if he would hand the ball to the back that he handed it off to last time but instead pitched it to the back who was running out towards the left.

Please nobody take what I said out of context by thinking "this idiot thinks the Falcons are going to run a triple option offense" because that's dumb and they were only trick plays. I couldn't quite tell what happened, and I don't think many other people could, because those plays took place down the field that is farther away from the entrance and the side that Matt and most of the defense rolled out to was on the opposite side of the hill that everyone sits on. I still don't know exactly what type of plays those were but it involved two backs that either one could've received the ball and they drew some 'oooohs and aaahs' from the crowd.

Just giving another detail as to what went on today.

Edited by CTann

Another note that I meant to include.

Towards the end of practice during the goal line mini-game; Toilolo and Worrilow were 1 on 1, running, with each other near the back of the end zone. Worrilow won the battle. At first it looked like Toilolo simply just didn't catch the ball but on 2nd thought maybe Worrilow got a finger on the ball. It was a moment that I wish I had instant replay. If Worrilow didn't get a finger on the ball then it was a ball that Toilolo should've caught.

Edited by CTann

Matt running triple option?

Pardon me, I think I just saw a flying bovine.

Lol that's what I'm saying. Pretty sure it had to be a variation or at least the only two real options were the two running backs and not actually a 3rd option with Matt.