Has Rob Ryan Created The Future Defense Of The N F L?

They've got Vaccaro which allows them to do thing with the safety position which other can't. More teams will continue to switch to a 3-4 and look for super athletic OLB's with good coverage skills to play opposite a pass rushing OLB. More and more 4&5 db sets will be in order too just because of the changes in the game. I doubt many will be able to replicate what the Saints do though. There just aren't many guys like Vaccaro out there yet. The Saints may be week against the run but most teams will struggle to beat the Saints by trying to grind it out against them anyways.

edit: I also think elite CBs will become an afterthought. Only in a division loaded with elite WRs will they be necessary. 3-4 average to above average DBs will be more important then one elite CB.

Edited by GrumpyGrumbler

This division is loaded with elite wide receivers it seems...

Not really, There's Jones (who is a top 3 WR) and everybody else. At this point I don't see any receivers in the NFC South that you could call Elite, except for Jones, but I realize how Falcon fans are so enamored with the term ELITE.laugh.png

I loved(hated) the rob Ryan hire by the saints last year. I knew he could turn their defense into top 15 despite its awfulness but he far exceeded everyone's expectations. I think he did put out a good blue print, as far as 3 safties go, but that's what Nolan has done for awhile (sort of). Nolan likes his slot corner to be physical so he can send in on blitzes etc. Calls it the big nickel. In 2012 Dunta Robinson was the perfect fit for that role but an early injury to grimes moved him outside. I like the creativity(weird) of Rob Ryan playing his best players. I think that will catch on.

I think Nolan is a good enough coordinator to field a top 10 defense. I expect the defense to be top 15 this year with the offseason additions that were made. I think too much focus has been put on pass rush from media/fans, although very important, the nfl always comes back to stopping the run first. There are still questions about this defense but this is the best d line and secondary we've had since Nolan has been hired. I think he can do a lot with it and am excited to see his creativeness this year.

You want an at least average pass rush. It isn't overplayed other than the fact that everyone wants us to have an ELITE pass rush, which is not necessary. Even the best DBs will get burnt if a QB has all day to make a play, so average is at least a necessity. Run stopping is important because running games will milk time if you can't stop it. Other than that, being able to limit those passing plays is much more important if your team is able to score - we are able to score. Look at the saints' defense last year, they didn't need to stop the run often due to their offense's scoring threat. Only time they lost were against aggressive run 1st teams that had a defense to stop their offense. (Seattle, St. Louis, Carolina, and NYJ all had good defenses that were run oriented)

Edited by bonesthugsandharmony

Whysojerious those are good points. I disagree on Dunta though. He was dirty as ****. He couldn't knock a guy out with knocking himself out. Definitely not the same definition of physical as Vacarro.

I think Mike Nolan is a great coach. What's the deal with his scheme? Why is he just now switching to his 3-4? Did lack of 3-4 personnel have him running a 4-3 last year?

I think if Atlanta fields a top 20 defense they can win 8-10 games.

Atlanta and Dallas are almost the exact same team to me this season.

Whysojerious those are good points. I disagree on Dunta though. He was dirty as ****. He couldn't knock a guy out with knocking himself out. Definitely not the same definition of physical as Vacarro.

I think Mike Nolan is a great coach. What's the deal with his scheme? Why is he just now switching to his 3-4? Did lack of 3-4 personnel have him running a 4-3 last year?

I think if Atlanta fields a top 20 defense they can win 8-10 games.

Atlanta and Dallas are almost the exact same team to me this season.

Nolan's specialty is secondary, so he's been getting his guys there first. The rest of the defense he's just been trying to make it work with the guys that were already here since this team was ready to win. Almost worked out in 2012 with the veterans. Last year with all the injuries we were playing a bunch of rookies, and you seen a bunch of rookie mistakes out there so Nolan was pretty handicapped with the young players. Also since we couldn't stop the run we couldn't use the amoeba defense. .