Cover 32 Preseason Rankings: "**** The Saints"

Born A-Ginn

8. Carolina Panthers – The Greg Hardy trial was ugly, providing a bad way to head into training camp. While the pass rusher has said that he regrets being a distraction, that’s exactly what he’s become for the Panthers. (LW: 8)

12. New Orleans Saints – The Jimmy Graham saga has been finally been put to bed, which is good for all involved. But there’s something odd about the Saints hosting training camp in West Virginia; it seems like a distracting money grab.(LW: 11)

15. Atlanta Falcons – The Falcons are a trendy pick as the league’s “bounce-back” team in 2014, but trying to fill the void left by the injury to Sean Weatherspoon remains one of the goals of training camp. (LW: 16)

21. New York Giants – New quarterbacks coach Danny Langsdorf has stated that he wants Eli Manning to complete 70 percent of his passes in 2014. Presumably, his referring to players wearing a Giants jersey. (LW: 22)

25. Dallas Cowboys – How desperate are the Cowboys for help on the defensive side of the ball? They added oft-retired and plenty troubled linebacker Rolando McClain, who still has to serve a jail term in Alabama at some point.(LW: 24)

27. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – It certainly was a downer when the Bucs announced that Carl Nicks, the offensive lineman they signed to a five-year, $47.5-million deal in 2012, and the team were parting ways. He was a colossal bust in Tampa Bay. (LW: 26)

31. Washington Redskins – Jay Gruden has been blaming it on the rain, but the weather isn’t the only reason that Robert Griffin III and DeSean Jackson aren’t always on the same page. The Redskins new battery has some work to do. (LW: 31)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

Not sure how the Saints can not even be in the Top 10 when they had a top 5 offense and defense last year, and, on paper, only improved with depth and personnel changes. Panthers Stayed pretty even keel to me, so I'd give the nod to the Saints. We both got pretty easy schedules this year, so both of us making the playoffs isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Cause we have generally stayed the same and the Saints have gotten better. Byrd and Cooks are very good additions.

I do think we make the playoffs tho.

Who is to say their additions pay off? Who is to say our additions pay off? What we do know is that we ended the season as the kings of the South. Have the Saints played any games yet to prove they leapfrogged the Panthers in division ranking?

Who is to say their additions pay off? Who is to say our additions pay off? What we do know is that we ended the season as the kings of the South. Have the Saints played any games yet to prove they leapfrogged the Panthers in division ranking?

Nah but thats just what I believe at this point. I hope your right honestly. I'm just really worried about our Tackles. The only thing I care about in camp honestly is Bell and Chandler. I'm ready to see how they do against the Bills and Chiefs pass rush in the preseason.

If we go by the logic of "last year" (which I never agree with), Superbowl champs should always be number one. Saints weren't the best team going into 2010. Ravens weren't the best team going into 2013. Eh. Call me a homer, just think overall the Saints got better as a whole, Panthers didn't.

If we go by the logic of "last year" (which I never agree with), Superbowl champs should always be number one. Saints weren't the best team going into 2010. Ravens weren't the best team going into 2013. Eh. Call me a homer, just think overall the Saints got better as a whole, Panthers didn't.

If we go by just off-season additions, then the Bucs should have been b2b2b division champions lately.

If we go by just off-season additions, then the Bucs should have been b2b2b division champions lately.

Think you gotta take everything as a whole to. 2011 the Sean Payton led Saints were the most effective (by yards anyway) offense in NFL history. 2012 obviously never happened, and 2013 we saw once again the team return to Sean Payton form. Can't say that bucs, besides this year, have made that grand of off-season moves, and they weren't "elite" to begin with. Both the Panthers and Saints were already contenders. Byrd is an obvious upgrade over Jenkins, the Saints WR corp is (on paper) the best group Brees has ever had and the defense is set to be more dominant under the coordinator for the second year.

If the Panthers can't get their O-Line sorted out (think thats more important that WRs TBH, Newton is talented enough to make scrubs look good) thats gonna really hurt your chances of winning the division. A rain soaked day in carolina kept you guys from getting swept last year, and it was still a very good and close game.

You cant pick 11 teams better than the Saints.

I can see Carolina being higher than the Saints because they won the division, but 10 other teams....**** NO

Not sure how the Eagles are above both of our teams in that ranking. If they were in our division last year, I honestly believe they would've finished third.......and I don't see Chip's offense lasting much longer. It wears out both his offense and his defense.

Think you gotta take everything as a whole to. 2011 the Sean Payton led Saints were the most effective (by yards anyway) offense in NFL history. 2012 obviously never happened, and 2013 we saw once again the team return to Sean Payton form. Can't say that bucs, besides this year, have made that grand of off-season moves, and they weren't "elite" to begin with. Both the Panthers and Saints were already contenders. Byrd is an obvious upgrade over Jenkins, the Saints WR corp is (on paper) the best group Brees has ever had and the defense is set to be more dominant under the coordinator for the second year.

If the Panthers can't get their O-Line sorted out (think thats more important that WRs TBH, Newton is talented enough to make scrubs look good) thats gonna really hurt your chances of winning the division. A rain soaked day in carolina kept you guys from getting swept last year, and it was still a very good and close game.

Preseason rankings are often full of hot air.........there is no science involved or anything of that nature. Often enough the Division champion comes out of nowhere on any given year. Affording the top division ranking to the reigning division champion is just giving a team the benefit of the doubt. Whether it's right or wrong, it doesn't matter. Most of us gave the Falcons the benefit of the doubt last off-season in the rankings........most of us gave the Saints the benefit of the doubt in off-season rankings, the following year after they won the division.

The rain game.......the Panthers had to play in the rain also, without our former 5'9 aging, #1 WR and once it stopped raining, the Saints had as many chances to win the game as the Panthers had. It was a hard fought game where both teams were allowed to be as physical as possible.

Preseason rankings are often full of hot air.........there is no science involved or anything of that nature. Often enough the Division champion comes out of nowhere on any given year. Affording the top division ranking to the reigning division champion is just giving a team the benefit of the doubt. Whether it's right or wrong, it doesn't matter. Most of us gave the Falcons the benefit of the doubt last off-season in the rankings........most of us gave the Saints the benefit of the doubt in off-season rankings, the following year after they won the division.

The rain game.......the Panthers had to play in the rain also, without our former 5'9 aging, #1 WR and once it stopped raining, the Saints had as many chances to win the game as the Panthers had. It was a hard fought game where both teams were allowed to be as physical as possible.

Oh I agree, and that game was a great game, no matter who wins, but its pretty obvious it gave the Panthers a big advantage considering you have a better overall run game and run stopping defense. Our defense was ranked 2nd against the pass, but was average against the run (18th I think?). That was a big boost for you. I'm giving credit where it's due, Panthers had a great team this year and I was pulling for them when we weren't playing them obviously, but that game went your way, in everyway.

Also, yea, offseason rankings are a crap shoot, I'm just giving my crapshoot opinion. lol

Lol it'd be kind of boring to just see last year's standings as the projected rankings from every different writer. Last year's over man. Let it go

rainy day in Carolina

that game was inches away from a Cam stop on third and long

who played well in a sunny day in Carolina in January?

or a cold evening in Philly?

Would have loved to have seen the seahawks absolutely destroy cam in the playoffs but they couldn't generate any offense at home.