Five Last Minute Trades The Atlanta Falcons Should Pursue

"Food for thought"

Your thoughts???

When looking at the Falcons’ 2014 roster, there are a few glaring holes that the team wasn’t able to fill during the offseason. Atlanta never acquired a true edge rusher or a pass-catching tight end, among other things.

The Falcons are no strangers to completing offseason trades to bolster their roster; Tony Gonzalez, Asante Samuel, and Dominique Foxworth were all acquired via trade during the current regime’s tenure, and they all made impacts both big and small in their time with the Falcons.

Currently, Atlanta has a little under $14 million available in cap space, so, they won’t be limited there. Pair that with a full slate of draft picks and the Falcons have more than enough ammunition to fill their remaining holes and possibly land an impact player before the season gets underway.

Here are my top-five players the Atlanta Falcons need to trade for before the new season gets underway.

5) Jarrett Boykin, Wide Receiver, Green Bay Packers

The Falcons wide receiver corps is extremely top heavy. That said, Julio Jones is coming off a serious foot surgery and Roddy White’s age might be catching up to him. Behind Jones and White, the team has a group of slot-type receivers in Harry Douglas, Devin Hester, Drew Davis, and UDFA Bernard Reedy. Their average height being around 5’11’’, and their average production being nothing to get too excited about. The Falcons need a bigger receiver they can groom behind White as he begins his fight with Father Time, and someone that can readily step in if Jones or White go down again this year. Jarrett Boykin is big (6’2’’, 220-pounds) and young at only 24 years old. The Packers might be willing to part ways with Boykin with the returns of Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson, as well as the arrivals of second-round pick Davante Adams and fifth-round pick Jared Abbrederis. A former undrafted free-agent from Virginia Tech, Boykin could net the Packers a fifth-round pick and clear up Green Bay’s picture at wide receiver — giving the Falcons someone they can use both now and in the future.

Additional option: Jon Baldwin, San Francisco 49ers

4) Coby Fleener, Tight End, Indianapolis Colts

Atlanta is dangerously thin at tight end. Tony Gonzalez left a massive hole at the position when he hung up the cleats, and the Falcons didn’t bother to add anyone of significance to bolster the position, choosing to alter their offensive scheme instead. The Falcons are putting all of their eggs in the enormous basket that is Levine Toilolo, but if he doesn’t take the expected leap or goes down with an injury, the team could be in real trouble at the position — that’s where Coby Fleener comes in. Like Toilolo, Fleener is a big (6’6’’), balanced tight end from Stanford University. Fleener is a capable receiver (52 catches in 2013) and holds his own in the run game. The Colts could afford to deal Fleener with the emergence of Dwayne Allen as a legitimate play-making tight end. Additionally, Indianapolis gets star wide receiver Reggie Wayne back from injured reserve and signed free-agent WR Hakeem Nicks to further open up their passing game. Throw in big-play threat T.Y. Hilton and the Colts feature an offense built to air it out with young-stud Andrew Luck at the controls of it all. A third or fourth round pick could be enough to entice Indianapolis to send Fleener to Atlanta, and the Falcons would begin the season much more talented and stable at tight end.

Additional option: Brent Celek, Philadelphia Eagles

3) Paul Posluzny, Inside Linebacker, Jacksonville Jaguars

The Falcons love bringing in everybody from the Jacksonville Jaguars franchise, why not go to the well one more time? The Jaguars are simply not contending this season, showing that they’re clearly in full-on rebuilding mode by selecting project-quarterback Blake Bortles with the third-overall pick; why not grab an extra draft pick and free up a spot for a younger guy to develop in? The Falcons are extremely young at middle linebacker, and with Sean Weatherspoon’s future in limbo, the Falcons could sorely use an infusion of talent like the dynamic Posluzny would bring. According to Spotrac, the Falcons currently have nearly $14 million in cap space, leaving more than enough room for Posluzny’s $9.5 million cap hit. That’s a high number, but in Posluzny, the Falcons would be adding a bonafide playmaker to their linebacking corps. He made the Pro Bowl last season, deservedly so with 162 combined tackles, nine pass deflections, three sacks, two interceptions (one for a touchdown) and a forced fumble. Posluzny would bring the Falcons not only a tackling machine, but someone who would provide an asset in coverage. If the Jaguars want to get the 29-year-old Posluzny’s contract off the books and streamline their rebuilding process, the Falcons may be able to acquire the talented linebacker for a third-round draft pick.

Additional option: Danny Trevathan, Denver Broncos

2) Bruce Irvin, Defensive End/Outside Linebacker, Seattle Seahawks

A freak athlete, Bruce Irvin could explode in the Falcons’ multiple defense. With 10 sacks in his first two years, Irvin is just scratching the surface of his immense potential. Experienced as both a defensive end and an outside linebacker, Irvin wouldn’t have to make much of an adjustment upon his arrival. An Atlanta native, Irvin hasn’t had the type of success expected of him since being selected with the Seattle Seahawks’ top pick in 2012; a change of scenery, particularly one in which he’s brought back home, could be beneficial for both Irvin and the Falcons. The Seahawks are stocked with pass rushers, and they could use an extra pick to fill one of their holes on the offensive line or at tight end. If Atlanta is willing to give up a second-round pick, Seattle just may be willing to part ways with the versatile defender. In Irvin, the Falcons would get the talented, young pass-rusher they’ve been needing for far too long.

Additional option: Dion Jordan, Miami Dolphins

1) Justin Houston, Edge Rusher, Kansas City Chiefs

The Falcons brought in a bus load of former Kansas City Chiefs this offseason, and Justin Houston would be the crown jewel amongst them all. A former Georgia Bulldogs’ star, Houston has been keeping busy by destroying NFL quarterbacks in his short time in the league, collecting 26.5 sacks in three seasons. Houston would be a massive addition to the Falcons’ pass rush, and there’s a decent chance Atlanta may be able to acquire him from the Chiefs. Houston is in his last year of his rookie deal and isn’t thrilled that Kansas City hasn’t signed him to a new contract yet. The Chiefs already have a very good (and expensive) pass-rusher in Tamba Hali, and just drafted edge-rusher Dee Ford in the first round of the 2014 Draft. Ford has been very impressive early, and that could make it easier for the Chiefs to deal Houston. Atlanta would likely have to give up their 2015 first-round pick — which they would presumably use on a pass-rusher anyway — but it’d be well worth it for the sheer production and longevity they would receive from Houston. With Atlanta’s $14 million in available cap space, they could easily sign Houston to a new deal, helping to transform their defense into a formidable unit that can finally get after the quarterback.

Additional option: Jabaal Sheard, Cleveland Browns

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe that cap space number is correct

And you can't fill every hole on a team. I know everyone wants a superstar at every position, but we've won a lot with glaring holes before

I don't think anyone is suggesting we trade for all 5 players , but with $9 - 13 mill in space we should look to make a move in my opinion at as many as possible upgrades , I certainly wouldn't want to start this season with that much un- spent cap!

I would personlly like a center/guard on this list!

And I know Houston is a really good player. But we just signed Jackson, Soliai, resigned Babineaux, drafted Hageman...that'd be a lot of wasted moves

I don't think any of those guys play the same position as Houston (OLB/DE speed rusher) which remains a need IMO

I don't believe that cap space number is correct

And you can't fill every hole on a team. I know everyone wants a superstar at every position, but we've won a lot with glaring holes before

Cap number isn't right. He looked at Sportrac after White's deal was announced and before the details were released. Sportrac took White's 6 mil salary from his old deal off the books, but hadn't added his new salary in yet.

Don't think any of the proposed trades could happen for so little compensation.

No...build through the draft like most Championship teams

Really! Do you really think this regime has the time to wait for draft picks to develop. They are gonna be on a very warm seat is this season does not go well and you want them to build. Get a clue Truth, Time to BO-LIEVE

Cap number isn't right. He looked at Sportrac after White's deal was announced and before the details were released. Sportrac took White's 6 mil salary from his old deal off the books, but hadn't added his new salary in yet.

Don't think any of the proposed trades could happen for so little compensation.

Who knows _to catch a fish you need to at least put some bait in the water.

Who knows _to catch a fish you need to at least put some bait in the water.

Trouble is, all the trades are hugely in favor of the Falcons- Why would KC give up a young stud OLB for a just a 1st round pick? GB doesn't have so much WR talent they can give one away, esp. such a young , cheap one. Indy giving up Fleener for nothing- none of them are realistic at all.

is this bleacher report?

Trouble is, all the trades are hugely in favor of the Falcons- Why would KC give up a young stud OLB for a just a 1st round pick? GB doesn't have so much WR talent they can give one away, esp. such a young , cheap one. Indy giving up Fleener for nothing- none of them are realistic at all.

is this bleacher report?

No, I think it was Fox, But I've read so many this morning I truly don't remember LOL

this was just food for thought as to filling out needs and using this cap space, Like I said my choice would be a center/guard

** as funny as this sounds I DON'T post everything I read!! facepalm-smiley-emoticon.gif