Slippery: Falcons Rb Devonta Freeman

atljbo

this is from knox bardeen who has been at TC

Knox Bardeen @KnoxonFox · 13m

Devonta Freeman has been nothing but impressive since he stepped foot on campus at Flowery Branch. #Falcons

Knox Bardeen @KnoxonFox · 9m

My personal (non-scout) opinion on Devonta Freeman: He's got a gear from fast to really fast that no RB on this #Falcons roster has.

What people don't realize is that Freeman does not need a lead blocker. He is a very good singleback runner. Jackson and Quizz aren't. The reason being is that they aren't explosive hitting the hole. Look at Freeman's videos and he hits the hole hard every time. No tipping or juking.

What people don't realize is that Freeman does not need a lead blocker. He is a very good singleback runner. Jackson and Quizz aren't. The reason being is that they aren't explosive hitting the hole. Look at Freeman's videos and he hits the hole hard every time. No tipping or juking.

From another thread. Ive been saying it too.

Devonta Freeman demonstrated his explosiveness all afternoon. Every time he touched the ball, he seemed to burst through the line or demonstrate his quickness. If he continues this way, he could earn some meaningful snaps during the season.

One last thought: of all the offensive formations I saw today, very few featured a full-back. Almost all of them featured 1RB with the rest of the skill positions occupied by WRs and/or TEs. This could signal a change for the offense, though I'm hesitant to make any conclusions this early.

Stole this from TheFalcoholic and one of their training camp observations. I thought it was interesting. Freeman did most of his work in sets like that at FSU. Something I will be watching closely in camp and preseason.

Quizz didn't either when he was in college (fast and shifty)...the NFL is a whole 'nother ball game. Just run play suited to his strengths and not "out of the playbook" and he'll be fine

From another thread. Ive been saying it too.

It makes the most sense. We have crap for TEs and FBs. Why waste the personnel space when you can just rock out with 4WR all game. We're very deep there.

Quizz didn't either when he was in college (fast and shifty)...the NFL is a whole 'nother ball game. Just run play suited to his strengths and not "out of the playbook" and he'll be fine

I was never the biggest fan of Quizz as a "change of pace" back. He has no burst. The difference between Freeman and Quizz is stark and the film is the biggest advocate.

It makes the most sense. We have crap for TEs and FBs. Why waste the personnel space when you can just rock out with 4WR all game. We're very deep there.

I was never the biggest fan of Quizz as a "change of pace" back. He has no burst. The difference between Freeman and Quizz is stark and the film is the biggest advocate.

Exactly, we're not only really deep there but it is so much less predictable. I love Freeman being a FSU guy. If he can still produce in the NFL like he did in college like I think he can we can really keep teams on their toes. They won't know what's coming.

That second quote about being fast is quite surprising given how fast A. Smith and Josh Vaughn(sp?) seem.

his answer to that

Knox Bardeen@KnoxonFox 18m

Not even Antone Smith

Me myself i wouldnt say he is faster then Antone but i think some is sleeping on his speed and his 2nd gear because he ran a 4.53

i think he has a good 2nd burst and he hits gis top speed fast and keep that speed when making a cut .

again i dnt think he is the fastest (because of smith) but i do think he has good speed

I don't think he is the fastest, but it's more he gets the ball and bam he is at full speed. Same thing when he makes a cut.

I mentioned after seeing him Friday at training camp that it looked like he is shot out of a cannon. A day or two later a poster was saying what he saw at camp and he said the same exact phrase.

I remember when Percy Harvin came out of college Mike Mayock, I think, said the same thing about him. I'm not saying he is Percy Harvin, but it's the same kind of fast. If you see him live you will see it.

Waldman is absolutely fantastic. I bought his Rookie Scouting Portfolio and the amount of work he puts into his analysis is impressive.

Plus he's pretty good on the Audible and The Couch.

I read this piece the other day and it echoed I lot of what I see in Freeman....the ability to always get SOMETHING even if nothing's there. Also, his ability to get small in the hole is really impressive.

He doesnt have burner top end speed but a lot of runners have made very nice careers out of skills like his.

jackson didnt have a fb in st. Louis

I have never been big on Quizz either, and I actually think Smith is a better RB. Probably Vaughn as well.