5 Questions With Falcons Qb Matt Ryan

falcon057

FLOWERY BRANCH – Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan has not spoken to the media at-large yet in training camp.

He will speak after today’s practice, the fifth of training camp. We’ll have a story on MYAJC.COM later what he did this offseason and some video later.

Ryan, who’s rooming with quarterback T.J. Yates, linebacker Sean Weatherspoon and running back Steven Jackson, did speak to radio station 680TheFan Tuesday morning.

Here’s some of what Ryan had to say:

ON THE OKLAHOMA DRILL: “That’s what the attitude of playing football is all about. I think that’s what coach (Mike) Smith was going for yesterday. I think guys brought into it. As the drill went on, there was more and more talking. There was more and more excitement. It was fun. It was a good change up for being on the practice field.”

ON BEING A BETTER QB AND LEADER: “So, much experience. Good and bad. I think that both of those help you become a better leader. Both of those help you become a better teacher. I think one of the things that has been different this offseason from some other offseasons is that I’ve had to take more of a role with teaching than I’ve had in other years past. Tony (Gonzalez) is gone. Julio (Jones) was out the majority of the offseason. Roddy (White) was out the majority of the offseason. We had new guys in at wide receiver like Devin Hester. All new tight ends. So, I had to really go back to the basics. . . .We are going to learn the offense and just know the base stuff. . . .(later) we can work on all of the nuances from there. It’s been different. It really has. I think the experiences of last year and how fine of a line it is between wins and losses and what it takes to get it done in this league has really helped.”

ON REPLACING TONY GONZALEZ: “You’re not going to replace him with one guy. Tony is a guy (who) came into this league and really changed the position into what it is now. . . . We are not going to replace that with one guy. That’s unfair to ask the guys that are here to do that. We have to do it two ways. We have to do it with a group of guys at different positions and we have to do it by changing our scheme a little bit. We are going to have to be a little different than we’ve been in the past because the things that Tony could do that we hung our hat on for five years, other guys aren’t capable of doing that all the time. We’ll have to be a little bit different and we’re going to have to ask guys to step into some different roles.” (He said we may see more of their “10” personnel package. That’s 1 running back and 0 tight ends = 10 personnel. That’s their 4-WR set of Jones, White, Harry Douglas and Hester.)

ON IF THE OFFENSIVE LINE IS IMPROVED: “That remains to be seen, but I think these guys have done a helluva job this offseason and through training camp. I really like Jake Matthews coming in. He has a great attitude for a rookie. He’s really, really smart . . . . He’s really strong. He’s really athletic and he’s really smart. I think that’s a great combination for when you are talking about a cornerstone of your organization for a long time. I think that was a great draft pick for us. Jon Asamoah has done a great job of coming in and picking up our scheme. He’s a veteran guy. So, I really like what he brings to the table. He’s quiet, but he goes to work. I think you’ve got a guy in Joe Hawley, who’s in that slot competing with Peter Konz at center right now. Joe at the end of last year got to get a lot of experience and at that center position. I think that’s under-valued a lot because those guys are asked to do so much at the line of scrimmage in terms of getting the other four guys on the same page. Then we get Sam Baker back healthy, which is huge for us. He’s a great player. On paper I think we should be a lot better. On the field from what I’ve seen right now, those guys have done a great job.

ON HIS TACKLE OF ROBERT ALFORD: “Robert, he made a great play. He did. He made a good play on the ball. It was a deep ball. He had been telling me that he was going to get me for a couple of days, so we were covering the interception like you always have too, right. He cut back inside and I just happened to be in that spot. I kind of wrapped him up at first and was kind of laughing. Then I figured I might as well take him the ground. … it was fitting for the first day in pads.”

The amount of typos in D-Led articles depresses me.

That being said, it's good to hear Ryan continues to embrace his teaching and leadership roles. It much be hard with Tg gone and his other two main guys having fairly reduced practice time, but it's very nice that he gets to develop a bit of a rapport with his younger receivers. It'll pay off for us if we need to press any of them into action in the future.

The tackle doesn't seem too bad. Just sounds like he feigned the tackle at first and then decided to lightly finish it, i doubt he was in any danger of getting injured or anything.

ON THE OKLAHOMA DRILL: “That’s what the attitude of playing football is all about. I think that’s what coach (Mike) Smith was going for yesterday. I think guys brought into it. As the drill went on, there was more and more talking. There was more and more excitement. It was fun. It was a good change up for being on the practice field.”

Ryan probably loved watching it. :lol:

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons coach Mike Smith said running back Steven Jacksonsuffered a hamstring injury, but that it should not keep Jackson out of the season opener against the New Orleans Saints.

Jackson, who was hurt during Monday's practice, had been a full participant to start training camp but missed Tuesday's session. Rookie Devonta Freeman and Jacquizz Rodgers received more reps with Jackson out, with Rodgers working with the first team.

"Obviously, that's a part of the deal," quarterback Matt Ryan said of Jackson's injury. "Every year, you have different things that come up during training camp. And hopefully, we'll be able to get him out there when it counts. He's got a lot of experience, a lot of years. ... He knows our offense pretty well. Whenever he's healthy and ready to go, he's going to slide right in and do a great job for us."

Jackson also suffered a hamstring injury near the beginning of last season and missed time. Smith said it's not the same hamstring.

Also during Tuesday's practice, linebacker Pat Angerer left the field and didn't return. Smith did not provide an update on Angerer's status.

ON HIS TACKLE OF ROBERT ALFORD: “Robert, he made a great play. He did. He made a good play on the ball. It was a deep ball. He had been telling me that he was going to get me for a couple of days, so we were covering the interception like you always have too, right. He cut back inside and I just happened to be in that spot. I kind of wrapped him up at first and was kind of laughing. Then I figured I might as well take him the ground. … it was fitting for the first day in pads.”

I always wondered in this situation, is the QB happy if he get's intercepted during practice? After all, it is his own team mate...

It's kind of a reversed satisfaction

QB Ryan takes teaching role for Falcons offense

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) -- Matt Ryan is expanding his leadership role to include teaching young players and other newcomers in his seventh training camp with the Falcons.

Jones and White are back for training camp, but still Ryan is throwing to some new receivers, including Devin Hester, who was signed from the Bears. Ryan also is helping second-year tight end Levine Toilolo adjust to his new starting role.Tight end Tony Gonzalez has retired, receivers Julio Jones and Roddy White missed most of the offseason work and Ryan is adjusting to two new starters on his offensive line.

Ryan has helped the newcomers learn the offense as the Falcons try to rebound from their first losing season with the quarterback.

''I think back to basics in teaching was huge this offseason,'' Ryan said after Tuesday's practice. ''It was a lot of new guys in there and young guys in there and so it was back to basics. I think that's been good for us. Work on our craft and make sure those guys understand what we are at our core.''

Coach Mike Smith said it is an ongoing evolution of Ryan's leadership role that began in his 2008 rookie season.

Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones (11) gestures during an NFL football training camp Tuesday …

''Matt has been a leader of our team really since day one,'' Smith said. ''He identifies things he feels will make us a better football team, and he believes and I believe he needs to have a voice in what we're doing offensively. That voice is to make sure everybody is on the same page with what we're trying to do.

''He's done a very good job throughout the entire offseason working with the team.''

Ryan's offense took a hit, at least for one day, when running back Steven Jackson was held out of Tuesday's practice after suffering a right hamstring injury on Monday.

''We don't think it's going to be real significant,'' Smith said. ''He will be ready for the first game.''

Jackson missed four games with a left hamstring injury last season.

Jacquizz Rodgers worked at running back with the first-team offense.

Ryan said Toilolo has gained strength since his 2013 rookie season, but will need help following the retirement of Tony Gonzalez.

''I don't think it's one guy replacing what Tony did,'' Ryan said. ''Certainly he had a unique skill set really in the history of the NFL.

''I think we'll have a combination of guys fill in for the skill set he had and certainly schematically you've got to change some of the things that you do because some of the things Tony was good at don't necessarily fit in with some of the guys that we have.''

Smith said rookie first-round pick Jake Matthews ''is still on a fast track'' to be the starting right tackle.

''He's got great balance and when he does get out of position he's able to recover,'' Smith said. ''We've had two padded practices that were very good in terms of his pass protection and run blocking.''

Ryan said Matthews ''has done it the way a rookie should do it'' and has ''kept his mouth shut.''

That changed when the rookie was asked to sing in front of the team on Monday night.

''He was pretty good,'' Ryan said. ''I was impressed. Probably the thing that impressed me the most in the first week is his ability to sing. He's not scared to get up there and a little bit of his personality shone through.''

NOTES: Smith said he had no update on LB Pat Angerer, who left the field with an undisclosed injury and did not return. Angerer signed with Atlanta on July 22 as a free agent from the Colts. He finished last season on injured reserve with a knee injury. He made only three starts in 2012 because of a foot injury. ... The team will be off on Wednesday following its second straight practice in full pads.