Mike Smith Was Not Happy

falcon057

Follow
c705222874c6ddad097eb2f3e790261e_bigger.jpeg

Mike Smith was not happy with the technical side of today's practice. Said pad level was too high.

Smith said the first and second round picks, Matthews and Hageman, are outstanding players and on the fast-track to a lot of playing time.

Follow

c705222874c6ddad097eb2f3e790261e_bigger.jpeg

Expected with Matthews of course, but will be interesting to see when Hageman gets increased reps. Hageman admitted he's too hard on himself

This is very good to hear after a day with pads on. I knew Mathews would be a starter day one but Hageman was a question mark to me how long it would take him to get a good amount of playing time. For Smitty to group these two players together with that statement suggests Hageman is flashing some beast already.

By Chris Vivlamore

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

FLOWERY BRANCH —

It was about as animated as Mike Smith gets during an interview session.

Sure, the Falcons head coach was more animated Monday during the Falcons’ first padded practice of training camp. There were several fights to break up which he loudly labeled a “waste of energy” in no uncertain terms.

Smith took exception when asked post practice whether the fights were a sign that the Falcons were trying to be a tougher team.

“Everybody wants to talk about toughness,” he said. “If you play in the National Football League, you are a tough person. It’s about being resilient. It’s about being strong. It’s about being physical. Everybody who plays in the NFL is tough. I can’t tell you that I’ve ever been around a football player that plays in the National Football League that is not tough - to throw his body around and put his body through all of it.

“But in terms of being physical, we’ve got to be a more physical football team. That has been what we’ve been talking about since the very beginning of this offseason and the end of last season is being a more resilient football team. And you just don’t turn it on when you go out on the field when you play a game. You’ve got to work on it on the practice field and make sure everybody understands what we are trying to get done.”

I already know that Hageman will be one of those rookies that'll struggle early, but will start to come along at the last few weeks of the season. He's too focused on trying to bully blockers, kind of like Suh. He's not that strong yet, so he should focus on his hands being violent and quick. He won't be able to bull over linemen this early in his career. I would make him watch a TON of Watt tape. Watt at the point of attack is just got **** unstoppable... You can really tell he studies the tendencies of his opponents and knows how to apply what he's learned on the field. I want Hageman to be a mix of Watt and Suh, but the Suh-part of his game is pretty much there, I want him look at Watt and see how he plays the game.

Glad to see Smitty more serious about being aggressive and TOUGH.

I think he learned a valuable lesson last year with the "Country Club" atmosphere that prevailed back then..............starting with treating Gonzo like some sort of God, arriving at camp at the "eleventh hour". THIS sent a horrible message that "We're the anointed NFL team because we have Gonzalez.

HUGE MISTAKE.

Totally different attitude this year.....................I hope.

Frankly, I would have been shocked if Sheed didn't make an impact for an average DL

many exceptionally talented rookie DL can struggle with huge inconsistencies their rookie season. I'm still hoping he can give us some pass rush which I think he can, but not sure about how long it will take him to become proficient in the running game.

"Tough" and "stupid" aren't synonyms. Players are trying to bully each other, probably to keep position coaches off their ***** but they are missing the point.

I'll gladly take it. Either bully or be bullied. At least you know when it comes to the opponent, whom they have no respect for, there will be no holding back. Too long have we been the receiver of the bullying. No nice team has won the SB.

I'll gladly take it. Either bully or be bullied. At least you know when it comes to the opponent, whom they have no respect for, there will be no holding back. Too long have we been the receiver of the bullying. No nice team has won the SB.

Good points. Clabo and Dahl were popping guys in the mouth in 2008 and I think that had as much to do with our turn around as anything else people mention (Ryan being drafted, signing Turner, etc.) But the refs will be quick to flag a team coming off of a 4-12 season, so we can't give them an excuse to bone us.

Good points. Clabo and Dahl were popping guys in the mouth in 2008 and I think that had as much to do with our turn around as anything else people mention (Ryan being drafted, signing Turner, etc.) But the refs will be quick to flag a team coming off of a 4-12 season, so we can't give them an excuse to bone us.

A few 15 yard penalties is worth it. No more standing around doing nothing about Ryan taking cheap shots, at least I hope that's the case. Still can't get that sick feeling out of my stomach.

A few 15 yard penalties is worth it. No more standing around doing nothing about Ryan taking cheap shots, at least I hope that's the case. Still can't get that sick feeling out of my stomach.

Our owner called the team out pretty hard this off season. I don't think we'll see any cheap shots going unanswered. They basically get a get out of jail free card from Blank. Smith knows it's coming if some other team wants to try it.

Guest facelessman07

^THIS. I'll be more than happy to accept a couple intentional penalties if we can get inside the other team's head

Our owner called the team out pretty hard this off season. I don't think we'll see any cheap shots going unanswered. They basically get a get out of jail free card from Blank. Smith knows it's coming if some other team wants to try it.

I know he did. But we all know how Smitty is about penalties and his note pad. Billick even said one time that when a guy commits a penalty that Smith makes them stand up in team meetings the next day and explain why they committed said penalty.

I know he did. But we all know how Smitty is about penalties and his note pad. Billick even said one time that when a guy commits a penalty that Smith makes them stand up in team meetings the next day and explain why they committed said penalty.

Like I said though, Blank basically gave them a pass. Go up in front of them all and say I got an executive order from up top! :lol: