Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

caveman

Ryan Vs. Brees - Their Battle Will Define Both Careers

76 posts in this topic

Brees is on his way to the HoF for sure. Even if you totally disregard their tainted championship, his numerous 5k+ Yards and 40+ TD seasons will get him there.

Ryan is the one who still has to define his career. He could go to the Hall as well, but needs a championship on his resume. As crazy as it may seem, 0y the time Ryan retires 50,000 yards may not be enough without silverware to back it up.

I'm not sure one SB would even be enough for Ryan at this point. I think he'll need 2+ SB victories to solidify his spot as HOFer.

Top 5 for about 3 years with the way the league is going...

That and a couple of super bowl victories would still get him serious consideration.

I'm not sure one SB would even be enough for Ryan at this point. I think he'll need 2+ SB victories to solidify his spot as HOFer.

Not really.

Another 6 or 7+ years at his current level of production will put him right up there in term of career numbers. We don't know what the next few years will bring, but right now his winning % and comeback numbers stack up well against the best of all time. If they stay that way, with 55,000+ passing yards and a title, I say he gets in.

Not really.

Another 6 or 7+ years at his current level of production will put him right up there in term of career numbers. We don't know what the next few years will bring, but right now his winning % and comeback numbers stack up well against the best of all time. If they stay that way, with 55,000+ passing yards and a title, I say he gets in.

There are just so many other young QBs in the league that he will have to either make the next step as a top tier QB in the NFL or win a couple of SBs to differentiate himself.

I guess this dude is serious. A Super Bowl MVP doesn't seem to count as much as a career defining moment if you happen to be in the same division with Matt Ryan where it comes down to the season match up.

Tuggle'2 likes this

They declined sure but i'm not sure i'd call it anything close to a weakness.

Charles Brown was the worst center in the NFL by far. Our starting center was signed as a backup, and both our guards made the pro bowl off the name they carry.

No way in **** those dudes were pro bowl caliber players in 2013. Only great one last year was Zach Strief

Brees struggles under strong pressure

even then he is stepping up in the pocket and finding ways to get the ball off

His receivers have lost a step and weren't able to get separation (teams learned to mug them at the line)

Funny the only team that seemed to move the ball on the Seahawks in the playoffs were the Saints in the second half of their game

I really don't see Brees as padding his stats

more he and his boss want to score every time they have the ball

killer instinct

not play not to lose

their running game couldn't run out the clock in 2 key games last year

if Brees gets balance (looks like the run worked in the playoffs) and Cooks ignites things

he could torch things this year

Charles Brown was the worst center in the NFL by far. Our starting center was signed as a backup, and both our guards made the pro bowl off the name they carry.

No way in **** those dudes were pro bowl caliber players in 2013. Only great one last year was Zach Strief

Charles Brown was a left tackle, not a center. And yes, he was the worst left tackle the Saints ever had.

I think Drew Brees is a mortal lock for the HOF even if he decided to hang it up today. Let me see if I can make a case.

Super Bowl win and MVP

Six total playoff wins

Two time AP Offensive Player of the Year

Comeback Player of the Year

Top two pass completion % years in NFL history

4 of the top 6 passing yardage seasons in NFL history. (only QB with more than one 5,000 yard season, he has 4)

2 of top 8 TD pass seasons in NFL history

4th all time in pass completions

5th all time in yards

4th all time in pass TDs

7th all time in pass rating

2nd all time in passing yards per game

2nd all time in pass completion percentage

5th all time in lowest sack percentage

5th all time in total offense

7th all time in comebacks

8 Pro Bowls

There are 29 QBs in the HOF. If Drew Brees isn't an absolute lock, they need to kick a bunch of those out.

Drew Brees is a first year lock HOF even if things ended today

Drew is a key spokesman for the league

Matt Ryan is a qb in the nfl

I fail to see how Smitty is going to elevate Matt to those lofty heights

even with some key wr jewelry around him

Brees is generally regarded as an elite QB and has proven himself over a number of years - including a Superbowl victory. He just said he could play for another ten years. Well, if he holds-up for four or five yrs. AND makes it to another SB, then he could be talking about HOF.

On the other hand, Ryan can reach elite status if he continues to progress and has superior talent around him.

So - Let the battle begin!

Seriously? So many things wrong with this man.

First off, Brees has destroyed Atlanta and Ryan since he's been in New Orleans. If it is going to define their careers, Ryan is in a heap of trouble.

Second off, Brees is a first ballot HoFer right now. If he retires, he's a lock for the HoF. Getting back and winning a second Super Bowl (doubt it will happen) will only help his legacy, not his chances to do something he is already a guarantee for. The guy is already in the top 5 in passing yards and touchdowns. I hate the Saints as much as the next guy here, but that doesn't mean i'm blind to how good of a QB Brees is. Guy is legit.

Audiotom likes this

If you can stomach watching Ain't games you should rewatch a few from last year. Brees was noticeably worse outside and let quite a few deep balls get away from him. Those are usually the early warning signs of an aging QB. He's still a great QB obviously but... the signs are there.

Name me a few quarterbacks whose game improved on the road? And please don't even think about naming Matt Ryan. The league as a whole pretty much declined on the road

Brees is generally regarded as an elite QB and has proven himself over a number of years - including a Superbowl victory. He just said he could play for another ten years. Well, if he holds-up for four or five yrs. AND makes it to another SB, then he could be talking about HOF.

On the other hand, Ryan can reach elite status if he continues to progress and has superior talent around him.

So - Let the battle begin!

Brees could retire today and he'll still be a first ballot HOFer. He's broken records that stood for decades--you really think they'll ignore all that?

Name me a few quarterbacks whose game improved on the road? And please don't even think about naming Matt Ryan. The league as a whole pretty much declined on the road

Has nothing to do with being on the road or not. Not sure how you gleamed that from my post.

I come over here on slow days for humor. Ya'll didn't disappoint.

Matt Ryan is a Tier 2 or Tier 3 QB, and he cannot carry Drew's jock. ZERO playoff wins. ZERO signature wins.

Drew owns this matchup. This upcoming season is going to be EPIC for the Saints. I cannot wait for week 1.

I come over here on slow days for humor. Ya'll didn't disappoint.

Matt Ryan is a Tier 2 or Tier 3 QB, and he cannot carry Drew's jock. ZERO playoff wins. ZERO signature wins.

Drew owns this matchup. This upcoming season is going to be EPIC for the Saints. I cannot wait for week 1.

Try knowing something before you spew crap like this about it.

If you can stomach watching Ain't games you should rewatch a few from last year. Brees was noticeably worse outside and let quite a few deep balls get away from him. Those are usually the early warning signs of an aging QB. He's still a great QB obviously but... the signs are there.

I knew Brees didn't have his best year last year and for the most part attributed it to the lack of any real deep threat offensively. Out of curiosity I picked through some of his stats and honestly all it did was reaffirm what I have thought all around. Second in yards, second in completion %, yds/attempt were steady, 2nd in the league in passer rating (which was also one of his better years passer rating wise, as well as his lowest # of ints over the last 4 years. I just don't see the decline. He's always been a dink and dunk passer that was fully capable of hurting you deep and I don't totally disagree that his deep game looked off at times. I still think it goes back to not having a true deep threat and limited time to throw because of line issues.

Also you didn't say on the road but you did say outside and since 6 of their 8 road games were outside that's pretty much true.

I knew Brees didn't have his best year last year and for the most part attributed it to the lack of any real deep threat offensively. Out of curiosity I picked through some of his stats and honestly all it did was reaffirm what I have thought all around. Second in yards, second in completion %, yds/attempt were steady, 2nd in the league in passer rating (which was also one of his better years passer rating wise, as well as his lowest # of ints over the last 4 years. I just don't see the decline. He's always been a dink and dunk passer that was fully capable of hurting you deep and I don't totally disagree that his deep game looked off at times. I still think it goes back to not having a true deep threat and limited time to throw because of line issues.

Also you didn't say on the road but you did say outside and since 6 of their 8 road games were outside that's pretty much true.

It is true the deep ball was never his strong suit, but i really don't buy the lack of deep threats and any perceived line issue excuse. I saw too many of his balls just floating up there to attribute it completely to that. He just didn't have as much zip on the ball and seemed to really have to struggle with the Wind more than past years.

As for the away games i didn't remember so many of them were outdoors for the Ain'ts. I guess it's possible that was a big factor but honestly if just being on the road makes you throw the ball noticeably worse i think there's a bigger problem, and that hasn't been a problem Brees has shown in the past.

I love it!!!! I finally struck the nerve with the sack-heads to set off a heart attack or two ... ha,ha - when I said Brees wasn't 'quite' ready for the HOF.

The rookie Stills was their deep guy last year. A role he isn't exactly suited to. Brees was sacked 37 times last year. 10 more times then any other year in his career which was 27 in his last year with SD. Brees has always struggled in the elements while excelling in a dome.

They were 11-5 last year, even with 6 outdoor games. It's not a problem most years because even when he is not at his best he is still good enough to beat the bottom half of the teams outdoors and on the road.

really caveman?

rather childish

no heart attacks - common knowledge - just ask any NFL announcer that Brees is first eligible HOF

at least try to back up your claim with something vaguely representing reality

oh and Ryan has one come from behind playoff win, sorry someone in the thread got that wrong

Charles Brown was a left tackle, not a center. And yes, he was the worst left tackle the Saints ever had.

Our ****** center was signed by the bears as a backup

Lol my fault, just realized what I did

The rookie Stills was their deep guy last year. A role he isn't exactly suited to. Brees was sacked 37 times last year. 10 more times then any other year in his career which was 27 in his last year with SD. Brees has always struggled in the elements while excelling in a dome.

They were 11-5 last year, even with 6 outdoor games. It's not a problem most years because even when he is not at his best he is still good enough to beat the bottom half of the teams outdoors and on the road.

94.0,101.6,95.7,99.1 outdoor rating the 4 years before last. Show that cluelessness some more

Redefine "always" again please