Cam Newton: I Can’T Stress Enough That I’M Not 100 Percent Yet

Dirtybirdn@tion

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton is healthy enough to practice at training camp. But he’s not healthy enough to do all of the things we’re accustomed to seeing from him on the football field.

“I can’t stress enough that I’m not 100 percentyet,” said Newton, who had ankle surgery in March. “It’s just going to take treatment and time.”

Panthers coach Ron Rivera echoed those comments, saying he’s glad Newton is practicing but realizes Newton’s ankle isn’t allowing him to do everything.

”It was good to see Cam out there,” Rivera said. ”He’s a little rusty in terms of his quarterback to running back exchange. But he’s working himself back in and he has to work those techniques. But it was nice to see him make some nice throws. . . . A big thing is developing that footwork and getting that flexibility back in that ankle. As he practices and goes through day by day we have to be smart with it. I think he will work back into shape pretty soon.”

Newton’s ankle had been bothering him for years, and the goal of the surgery is to make the ankle better in the long run. He’s not there yet, but he should be in good shape when the season starts in six weeks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/26/cam-newton-i-cant-stress-enough-that-im-not-100-percent-yet/

Lets the excuses begin! wink.pngtongue.png

Why does he have to stress it to the media?

because every now and then, he looked like he was in pain. The media runs with stuff like that.

Even if the ligaments are fully healed..........no one can accurately predict when he can play with zero pain. Some lingering pain may last a month or two down the road from here.

Not sure if it will affect him on game day though, when the regular season starts. I remember some games against the Saints, he would get up limping bad.. his ankle obviously killing him, and he marched on. Hopefully once his ankle is fully pain free, he can play at a level we have not seen yet since he has been in the nfl... since he has had an ankle problem since college.

because every now and then, he looked like he was in pain. The media runs with stuff like that.

Even if the ligaments are fully healed..........no one can accurately predict when he can play with zero pain. Some lingering pain may last a month or two down the road from here.

Not sure if it will affect him on game day though, when the regular season starts. I remember some games against the Saints, he would get up limping bad.. his ankle obviously killing him, and he marched on. Hopefully once his ankle is fully pain free, he can play at a level we have not seen yet since he has been in the nfl... since he has had an ankle problem since college.

Boy, they better have him @ 100% come Gametime opening day! The Panthers are really gonna need him this season, he may end up being their entire offense, and without him....I can't even imagine. Lucky you all the the front seven on defense!

Boy, they better have him @ 100% come Gametime opening day! The Panthers are really gonna need him this season, he may end up being their entire offense, and without him....I can't even imagine. Lucky you all the the front seven on defense!

Rivera and company have said that Cam hasn't been 100% since he entered the NFL.. Hobbled, he still makes things happen, as he has done in the past many times.

You are right though...if he can get to 100% for the first time in his nfl career...........He can carry the offense. He can carry a bad Oline and he can look amazing doing it.

Rivera and company have said that Cam hasn't been 100% since he entered the NFL.. Hobbled, he still makes things happen, as he has done in the past many times.

You are right though...if he can get to 100% for the first time in his nfl career...........He can carry the offense. He can carry a bad Oline and he can look amazing doing it.

Yes he can, but they need him now more than ever. I have a feeling this season will show us which of the two, Cam or Ryan, is really the better franchise QB.

Yeah and thats what I love about the Panthers now the most. I'll take a dominating defense over an elite offense anyday.

Same here, I've always been a fan of stacked defenses. Even in the Bucs early years, when they sucked so bad, all a team had to do was get a 3 or 7 point lead on us, then just sit on the ball. But as the offense slowly caught up, we started winning games, and within 4 seasons were in the NFC Title game, only to lose by 3 points. Then, years later, after 16 forgettable seasons, our cornerstones arrived in Sapp, Brooks & Lynch. Yeah.....DEFENSE! I'll take it every time!

Same here, I've always been a fan of stacked defenses. Even in the Bucs early years, when they sucked so bad, all a team had to do was get a 3 or 7 point lead on us, then just sit on the ball. But as the offense slowly caught up, we started winning games, and within 4 seasons were in the NFC Title game, only to lose by 3 points. Then, years later, after 16 forgettable seasons, our cornerstones arrived in Sapp, Brooks & Lynch. Yeah.....DEFENSE! I'll take it every time!

Yeah that defense was godly lol I wonder where most people would rank it all-time

Yes he can, but they need him now more than ever. I have a feeling this season will show us which of the two, Cam or Ryan, is really the better franchise QB.

Not so much, imo, brother. To see what Ryan can really do, almost everything needs to be stripped away.

Idc what Ryan puts up behind his newly reformed Oline and his two #1 WRs.

If Cam has a solid year, not even a good or great year, I would still view him higher. We've a rookie Wr we are expecting to be an impact #1 WR.....our LT will probably be a converted undrafted Dlineman...and the RB we are depending on to carry the run game is 31 years old. If Cam is able to have a solid year under those conditions... my love for the guy will increase ten fold.

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton is healthy enough to practice at training camp. But he’s not healthy enough to do all of the things we’re accustomed to seeing from him on the football field.

“I can’t stress enough that I’m not 100 percentyet,” said Newton, who had ankle surgery in March. “It’s just going to take treatment and time.”

Panthers coach Ron Rivera echoed those comments, saying he’s glad Newton is practicing but realizes Newton’s ankle isn’t allowing him to do everything.

”It was good to see Cam out there,” Rivera said. ”He’s a little rusty in terms of his quarterback to running back exchange. But he’s working himself back in and he has to work those techniques. But it was nice to see him make some nice throws. . . . A big thing is developing that footwork and getting that flexibility back in that ankle. As he practices and goes through day by day we have to be smart with it. I think he will work back into shape pretty soon.”

Newton’s ankle had been bothering him for years, and the goal of the surgery is to make the ankle better in the long run. He’s not there yet, but he should be in good shape when the season starts in six weeks.

http://profootballta...00-percent-yet/

Lets the excuses begin! wink.pngtongue.png

You would think after last season. Falcons fans would be the most understanding about using the injury excuse.

Yeah he's gonna be tight in that ankle regardless for a while. He needs to take it slow. Even though he's a rival south teams QB I hate seeing guys get harassed by the media. All the questions he's getting about not looking like his normal self are pretty asinine. Sometimes reporters need to use some common sense and stop trying to create a story. At the very least give the man a few days to become acclimated again. Sheesh...

Yeah he's gonna be tight in that ankle regardless for a while. He needs to take it slow. Even though he's a rival south teams QB I hate seeing guys get harassed by the media. All the questions he's getting about not looking like his normal self are pretty asinine. Sometimes reporters need to use some common sense and stop trying to create a story. At the very least give the man a few days to become acclimated again. Sheesh...

Yeah, these stories always conveniently leave out the part where it was the reporter that asked the question and the athlete is just giving them an answer.

In the actual video a reporter asks something along the lines of "You looked like you were limping and in a bit of pain after a few of those throws, can you tell us about that?" cue Cam's response, "... I can't stress I'm not 100% yet, it's gonna take time... [etc. etc.]"

Lol but yeah, he just totally and randomly brought it up of his own accord out of no where to make excuses. rolleyes.gif

You would think after last season. Falcons fans would be the most understanding about using the injury excuse.

Remember who you're talking about here. It's never an excuse when they fall back on that line of reasoning, but if a Rival brings up an injury, You're whining.

All we heard all last season, was crying by Falcon fans here.....That's IT, Nothing else.rolleyes.gif

Yeah, these stories always conveniently leave out the part where it was the reporter that asked the question and the athlete is just giving them an answer.

In the actual video a reporter asks something along the lines of "You looked like you were limping and in a bit of pain after a few of those throws, can you tell us about that?" cue Cam's response, "... I can't stress I'm not 100% yet, it's gonna take time... [etc. etc.]"

Lol but yeah, he just totally and randomly brought it up of his own accord out of no where to make excuses. rolleyes.gif

I like Cam's answer though honestly. He basically told the reporter he's an idiot. lol

He is just going to have to deal with those. Cam is a great talent, but I question is mental fortitude at times. Gotta shrug that type of stuff off, they won't stop asking.

You should try looking at your own quarterback with that attitude, instead of flipping out.wink.png

Heh. Once again, Jb's main way to deal with any falcon fan opinion about players on other teams is to attack their QB.

Yawn....

You simply can't seem to comprehend this can you? Where did I attack your quarterback with that last statement?

"You should try looking at your own quarterback with that attitude, instead of flipping out.wink.png"