The All–Bad Contracts Team - Espn Grantland

fuego

The All–Bad Contracts Starting Offense

Quarterback: Joe Flacco, Ravens

Contract Flaw: Ever Fallen in Love With a Player You Shouldn’t Have?

I thought nothing would be able to top the Sam Bradford rookie contract as long as it stayed on St. Louis’s books, but the massive deal given to Flacco after his Super Bowl win narrowly takes the cake. As bad as the Bradford deal is, at least the Rams can get out of it after this season and save significant money ($13 million) in the process. Flacco is surely the better quarterback of the two, but Baltimore is stuck in this deal for years to come. It can’t really do much about this deal until after the 2016 season, during which Flacco will have a cap hit of — shield your children’s eyes — $28.6 million. In 2017, the Ravens get to choose between paying Flacco $31.2 million or eating $15.3 million in dead money on their cap. Flacco will be better than he was last year, and the cap is going to rise, but Flacco has to be a great quarterback to justify this deal, and the only time he really was great was during the 2012 playoffs.

Brad is gonna love this. Did he get banned?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought nothing would be able to top the Sam Bradford rookie contract as long as it stayed on St. Louis’s books, but the massive deal given to Flacco after his Super Bowl win narrowly takes the cake. As bad as the Bradford deal is, at least the Rams can get out of it after this season and save significant money ($13 million) in the process. Flacco is surely the better quarterback of the two, but Baltimore is stuck in this deal for years to come. It can’t really do much about this deal until after the 2016 season, during which Flacco will have a cap hit of — shield your children’s eyes — $28.6 million. In 2017, the Ravens get to choose between paying Flacco $31.2 million or eating $15.3 million in dead money on their cap. Flacco will be better than he was last year, and the cap is going to rise, but Flacco has to be a great quarterback to justify this deal, and the only time he really was great was during the 2012 playoffs.

Yes he did.

I don't understand the need for non-Falcons fans to project Matthews to LT and Baker to RT like Baker's ever been a RT. If Matthews is at LT, Baker is on the bench.

But, I don't think it's that bad a contract. It's the worst on the team, but we can get out next offseason with minimal pain if he blows up again. $1.9MM in additional cap hit is not enough to keep him if he doesn't show well.

The funniest part is Alex Mack is on the list...

I doubt that Baker survives past 2015, even if he plays well this year, now that we have Matthews, but, even if we had to cut him after this season, we'd probably just make him a post-June 1 cut. That way he wouldn't increase the cap after cutting him, and we'd be able to move some space over to 2016 on June 1, since it's pretty open at this point.

Was my reaction too. I just kind of facepalmed and left it alone. Have to play nice now. happy.png

Just ignoring the skillset problems, Baker at RT, just makes his contract look even worse. RT is arguably the most replaceable position in the NFL at this point.

The way it looks as of now Holmes might not even make the team. I don't think Tice likes him very much.

It's too bad if so. Despite the hate that he gets around here, he showed a lot of potential. I'd really hope, if we were to decide to move on, that we'd at least be able to trade him for a 6th or a 7th.

It's too bad if so. Despite the hate that he gets around here, he showed a lot of potential. I'd really hope, if we were to decide to move on, that we'd at least be able to trade him for a 6th or a 7th.

It's just that every report from camp about him has been bad or at least sounded bad. We'll know more soon.

Sunday's the day that the pads go on. Then the real camp begins.

I had/have high hopes for him. I thought for sure with all the negative publicity he received last year showing up to camp fat and out of shape would of motivated him to show up raring and ready to go this year. It doesn't sound like it worked out like that though. Maybe he does better with pads and contact though.

oh yes he's gone and I'm glad that d-bag is gone....

Flacco's contract is going to have the Ravens in a stranglehold for quite a while....

If it were that easy, explain last year...

Simple, we waited until the last minute, and grabbed scraps. Just b/c it's a position that's easier to find people for than others, doesn't mean that you don't have to grab someone when you have the chance. The draft was long gone, and anyone that could be defined as a solid starter, had been picked up by other teams. Also, I've said before and I'll say it again, we never should have picked up Trueblood to begin with, or, at very least, we should have benched him much sooner. Schraeder did as good of a job, if not better.

Simple, we waited until the last minute, and grabbed scraps. Just b/c it's a position that's easier to find people for than others, doesn't mean that you don't have to grab someone when you have the chance. The draft was long gone, and anyone that could be defined as a solid starter, had been picked up by other teams. Also, I've said before and I'll say it again, we never should have picked up Trueblood to begin with, or, at very least, we should have benched him much sooner. Schraeder did as good of a job, if not better.

Agree, think that the OL coach got fired was because of his misjudgements of who was ready and who wasn't.

You have to admit, compared to MLB and NBA, the NFL has fewer insane, horrible contracts. Its one of the things I like about the NFL over those sports.

Because the NFL doesn't have luxury tax...their cap is more static than the other leagues. NBA probably gonna have another holdout