The All–Bad Contracts Team - Espn Grantland

fuego

Didn't see this anywhere. If it is never mind. : )

One Falcon on the offensive side. See link for the 'Contact Flaw' categories of players. One player per position offense and defense.

Let’s break down the worst deals in the NFL and the five different ways to overpay someone...

Offensive Tackle: Sam Baker, Falcons

Contract Flaw: Ever Fallen in Love With a Player You Shouldn’t Have?

Having repeatedly seen Baker struggle with both his health and his performance as a pass blocker in the left tackle role he had been drafted to fill, the Falcons found themselves stuck between a rock and a hard place last offseason. They had few options at offensive tackle and limited salary-cap space to work with, but Baker just wasn’t athletic or reliable enough to play left tackle. Instead of moving on, Atlanta compromised and gave Baker a six-year, $41 million contract with $14.3 million guaranteed. One year later, Baker has proven yet again that he’s not a quality left tackle, which led Atlanta to use its first-round pick this year on Jake Matthews. He’ll be Matt Ryan’s left tackle sooner rather than later, while Baker will become one of the more expensive right tackles in football.

http://grantland.com...contracts-team/

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love 2 things about that article:

1) Joe Flacco is in a Huge color photo above the title line and is the first name listed.

2) Brad isn't here to foam at the mouth in the thread about it

As to the Baker contract, it is bad, but it could be worse. We could have actually paid him like a probowl LT with a lot of guaranteed money. After this year he is essentially cuttable, though if would be about 3 mil per season for 2 seasons in dead money (if he is a june 1 designation after next offseason). Worse comes to worse, he may actually perform, and he may not be so bad if the chip blocking is helping him out as opposed to the entire right side of the line like last season.

I don't understand the need for non-Falcons fans to project Matthews to LT and Baker to RT like Baker's ever been a RT. If Matthews is at LT, Baker is on the bench.

But, I don't think it's that bad a contract. It's the worst on the team, but we can get out next offseason with minimal pain if he blows up again. $1.9MM in additional cap hit is not enough to keep him if he doesn't show well.

The funniest part is Alex Mack is on the list...

I don't understand the need for non-Falcons fans to project Matthews to LT and Baker to RT like Baker's ever been a RT. If Matthews is at LT, Baker is on the bench.

But, I don't think it's that bad a contract. It's the worst on the team, but we can get out next offseason with minimal pain if he blows up again. $1.9MM in additional cap hit is not enough to keep him if he doesn't show well.

That last line of your post......golden

1) Joe Flacco is in a Huge color photo above the title line and is the first name listed.

As to the Baker contract, it is bad, but it could be worse. We could have actually paid him like a probowl LT with a lot of guaranteed money. After this year he is essentially cuttable, though if would be about 3 mil per season for 2 seasons in dead money (if he is a june 1 designation after next offseason). Worse comes to worse, he may actually perform, and he may not be so bad if the chip blocking is helping him out as opposed to the entire right side of the line like last season.

First thing I thought of is how Brad would be taking that when I saw the article. And Bakers contract just isn't that bad, He's the 16th highest paid LT, based on per year. Not a great deal by any means, but far from the worst.

Exactly. It is the worst contract we have, but not really all the bad overall. I mean, from what I've heard, with Roddy's extension, we still have like $12 in cap space. Its not as if Baker' contract is hurting us.

Baker just needs to move to RT.

Here comes this guy again....

Brad probably had an aneurysm when he saw that Flacco photo.