54% Of All Americans Support Increasing The Minimum Wage To $10.10

Andras

Subject:

Only 20% of Americans think they could live off Minimum Wage

Date: July 22nd, 2014

A new Public Policy Polling survey finds that very few Americans think they could support their household making the minimum wage, and that perhaps as a result there is strong support for increasing it to $10.10 on both the lowest and highest ends of the income spectrum.

Key findings from the survey include:

-

Just 20% of voters believe they could support their household on the minimum wage to 75% who say

they don’t think they would be able to. There is a bipartisan consensus on that front with 80% of

Democrats, 74% of independents, and 69% of Republicans saying they don’t think they’d be able to live off the minimum wage. Among voters who currently have a household income over $30,000 a year only 14% think they could support themselves on minimum wage to 82% who don’t think they would be able to.

-

54% of Americans support increasing the minimum wage to $10.10, compared to just 39% opposed.

74% of Democrats are in support of it but what’s more striking is that 37% of Republicans support it to

only 53% who are opposed. That’s an unusually high level of support from GOP voters for an Obama

backed policy initiative. Also striking is that voters making minimum wage strongly support the increase

-

63/28

-

but the single group most supportive of it is actually those making over $100,000 a year who favor it 73/19.

-

Obstructing the minimum wage increase has the potential to hurt Republicans at the polls this fall. 40%

of voters say they’ll be less likely to vote GOP this fall if Congressional Republicans block an increase in the minimum wage, compared to only 31% who say they’d consider that a reason to support the party.

-

The strong support we find for increasing the minimum wage springs out of a conviction 74% of

Americans hold that someone who works full time should be paid enough to keep them out of poverty.

Only 19% of voters disagree with that sentiment, which 88% of Democrats, 69% of Republicans, and

63% of independents say they agree with.

PPP surveyed 801 registered voters on July 18th and 19th on behalf of the Center for American Progress Action Fund and Americans United for Change

. The survey’s margin of error is +/-3.5%.

http://aufc.3cdn.net...5_07m6b9xkc.pdf

http://www.publicpol...4/07/index.html

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Want to talk about crushing the middle class?

Inflation will rise, because everyone on the bottom is making more. The rich will get richer, because that's what they do every time the government intervenes in economics.

The middle will see higher costs without the benefit of higher wages. The guy that currently makes $10 will make $12. The guy that currently makes $15 will make $16. The guy that makes $20 won't see any rise in pay.

Want to talk about crushing the middle class?

Inflation will rise, because everyone on the bottom is making more. The rich will get richer, because that's what they do every time the government intervenes in economics.

The middle will see higher costs without the benefit of higher wages. The guy that currently makes $10 will make $12. The guy that currently makes $15 will make $16. The guy that makes $20 won't see any rise in pay.

Its a shame you can only click the "Like This" button once.

I have no problem with a raise in minimum wage providing that anybody can show me that a significant portion of our population about the age where they are considered a dependent by the US Government are trying to support themselves on minimum wage

seems like a reasonable request, no?

The liberals want to feed man the fish so he can eat for a day, instead of teaching him to fish so he can eat for the rest of his life. They also want to hold him down by making them think minimum wage jobs are a way of life and somehow they were supposed to support a family? These minimum wage jobs thatt were originally summer jobs for high school and college kids and supplemental jobs for low wage earners.

kGfoq.gif

courtesy of NYG4

the fact is that there aren't enough good jobs available for our entire working age population so you can just forget all that

my point is that I don't believe that raising minimum wage will solve that issue but am willing to be proven wrong

The liberals want to feed man the fish so he can eat for a day, instead of teaching him to fish so he can eat for the rest of his life. They also want to hold him down by making them think minimum wage jobs are a way of life and somehow they were supposed to support a family? These minimum wage jobs thatt were originally summer jobs for high school and college kids and supplemental jobs for low wage earners.

kGfoq.gif

courtesy of NYG4

20 years ago, I would have agreed with you. Twenty years ago I would have looked sideways at an adult working a min wage job, but...times change, now, I say good for them, at least they are trying which is something too many people have given up on.

Paying people a little more FOR working doesn't bother me, paying people more for NOT working makes me craaaaaaaazzzzzzy lol

20 years ago, I would have agreed with you. Twenty years ago I would have looked sideways at an adult working a min wage job, but...times change, now, I say good for them, at least they are trying which is something too many people have given up on.

Paying people a little more FOR working doesn't bother me, paying people more for NOT working makes me craaaaaaaazzzzzzy lol

good point

Good post

A National Minimum wage makes no sense: $15/hr in California is considered extreme poverty (worthy of free weed), while $10/hr in New Mexico is a "living" wage. Blanket statements that point to the need for a specific national wage amount only shows the poster's ignorance.

A local Minimum wage also makes no sense: Numerous examples around the country, where cities/counties raised their minimum wage, showed that it forced out poor and elderly residents along with manufacturing jobs to satellite communities. Not surprisingly, service industries just floated their costs up to match the new price indexes.

Bottom Line: History has shown that while the negatives of increasing the minimum wage can be dampened by the market as it adjusts over time (labor costs), the benefits are practically non-existent in the long run.(adjusted cost of living). While the number of available jobs doesn't significantly fall, neither does the number of people dependent on Welfare.

Basic economics (101) shows that the minimum wage rhetoric isn't about providing for the poor, but merely a bid to gain political favor. It helps no-one, but causes a lot of waste as people and the market are forced to shift itself around to compensate to the new economic landscape.

A National Minimum wage makes no sense: $15/hr in California is considered extreme poverty (worthy of free weed), while $10/hr in New Mexico is a "living" wage. Blanket statements that point to the need for a specific national wage amount only shows the poster's ignorance.

A local Minimum wage also makes no sense: Numerous examples around the country, where cities/counties raised their minimum wage, showed that it forced out poor and elderly residents along with manufacturing jobs to satellite communities. Not surprisingly, service industries just floated their costs up to match the new price indexes.

Bottom Line: History has shown that while the negatives of increasing the minimum wage can be dampened by the market as it adjusts over time (labor costs), the benefits are practically non-existent in the long run.(adjusted cost of living). While the number of available jobs doesn't significantly fall, neither does the number of people dependent on Welfare.

Basic economics (101) shows that the minimum wage rhetoric isn't about providing for the poor, but merely a bid to gain political favor. It helps no-one, but causes a lot of waste as people and the market are forced to shift itself around to compensate to the new economic landscape.

Somehow I'm a tad skeptical someone who's gross weekly check goes from approx 280 to 400 per week would agree there are no beneficiaries to an increased min. wage

On a full-time job, that would be $21,000 a year vs. $15k a year. $21k a year isn't a "living wage" either. I don't see how it would help anyone but politicians to be honest. Going from $7.25 to $10.00 is a mighty large hike though. I agree with kicker that the middle class will be the ones to take that hit...

On a full-time job, that would be $21,000 a year vs. $15k a year. $21k a year isn't a "living wage" either. I don't see how it would help anyone but politicians to be honest. Going from $7.25 to $10.00 is a mighty large hike though. I agree with kicker that the middle class will be the ones to take that hit...

I don't expect the employers to foot the bill

I'm happy to pay a little more for a burger if it means that money is going to someone who's actually working.

Hike my taxes to pay for more social justice via income redistribution, then I'm gonna bitzh

I don't expect the employers to foot the bill

I'm happy to pay a little more for a burger if it means that money is going to someone who's actually working.

Hike my taxes to pay for more social justice via income redistribution, then I'm gonna bitzh

If it means that the knuckleheads working at the burger joints actually start giving a flip about customer service I'd probably not be as hesitant but for the level of service you get, meh.

Honestly, fast food needs to learn a lesson from Chik-fil-a. Say what you will about their religious beliefs (obviously I don't agree with those) but the way they conduct themselves from a customer service standpoint is the right way to do things.

You go to Wal-mart and you'll see cashiers yapping with one another instead of paying attention to what they are doing or their customer.

Add that on top of I'm not of the mindset that minimum wage is supposed to be a career path and it's just not something I can support unless there's something compelling that I'm missing...

If it means that the knuckleheads working at the burger joints actually start giving a flip about customer service I'd probably not be as hesitant but for the level of service you get, meh.

Honestly, fast food needs to learn a lesson from Chik-fil-a. Say what you will about their religious beliefs (obviously I don't agree with those) but the way they conduct themselves from a customer service standpoint is the right way to do things.

You go to Wal-mart and you'll see cashiers yapping with one another instead of paying attention to what they are doing or their customer.

Add that on top of I'm not of the mindset that minimum wage is supposed to be a career path and it's just not something I can support unless there's something compelling that I'm missing...

I agree, and think the difference is what's tolerated on the corporate level. Call and complain about some meatstick manager at BK or McD and I bet nothing happens, but companies like Chick-fil-a and others, take CS much more serious than most others :(

Also, if things were the way they were, I still might be ok with a higher min. wage if it just helped teens saving for cars and students paying for books. I dunno, something about paying people to work just doesn't ruffle my feathers much...well, shop hours at mechanics are an exception....but as a general rule, not so much.

Somehow I'm a tad skeptical someone who's gross weekly check goes from approx 280 to 400 per week would agree there are no beneficiaries to an increased min. wage

Which proves that there are a lot of blissfully ignorant people out there; usually the same people who will leave your junk alone if you slap "free" on it, but will will gladly haul it away in the middle of the night if you replace the sign with "$50 or obo."

I remember when I was in college, one of my classmates was ecstatic that they had raised minimum wage. The next week he complained that the free stuffed crust pizza promotion had ended. He didn't get the connection (neither did I at the time ~i was a lib).

Which brings me to a few years ago when my company decided to give employees a $0.15/hr C.O.L.A., and the most common reaction was at how it didn't make a dent in how much prices had gone up... very little gratitude over the unexpected raise. Vending machine prices went from $0.60 to $0.75 shortly thereafter (not that it's connected), just sayin'.