I Had An Epiphany About Mike Smith Last Night...

Macintez

Mike Smith has been one of if not THE winningest coach the last 6 years. Regardless of the fact that he doesn't have a Super Bowl appearance and only one playoff win on his post-season resume, Smitty has gotten off to one of the hottest coaching starts since coming here... No growing pains whatsoever, which I think is amazing considering the fact that he was a D-line coach in Jacksonville.

Though for the last couple of years, Smitty's weaknesses have been brought to the spotlight, shining brighter on the biggest stages. While I love Smith as a coach, it's clear to see that situational football isn't his greatest attribute. Most of the time, coaches would learn that part of the game early on, in the middle of crappy seasons. Smith on the other hand, started his first season winning 11 games. Getting off to that great of a start after one of the worst seasons in NFL history eliminated any questions I had about him for a few years.

Since then there have been a lot of heartbreak losses and a couple of post-season blow outs. I really felt that there was a possibility that Smith could be gone at the end of this season or the next, until a thought hit me last night.

Most of the time when we draft a player, we give him a chance of 3-5 years to learn the nuances of the game. Now some can come in and make an immediate impact, and some are a lil' slow to come along. It's the same thing with coaching, you have your Bill Belicheck's, Sean Payton's, and Mike McCarthy's, but then you have some like Smith, who you want to consider in the former but can't without a Super Bowl ring/appearance.

Basically where I'm getting at is that while Smitty is a good coach, maybe he's still learning a few things about the game. Also, this team isn't suited for Smitty's strengths (He would obviously do better with a great defense since he does not have the offensive genius to take advantage of Ryan). Maybe Ryan deserves a lil more credit for the success we had early on... All-in-all, Smith was fortunate enough to inherit Ryan when he first arrived, but the success allowed him to ride the coat-tails of his QB instead of building a team that suits his strengths. All the coaches I mentioned earlier had that opportunity, I feel we should give Smith that same opportunity. Please understand that I typed this from my phone and that I may add some more details... But for now, those are my 2 cents.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's been in the game quite a while to still be learning his job.

I can't say for now whether or not he is the guy to get us to the Superbowl. Out of him, TD and Ryan, I trust Mike Smith the least.

I am a fan of what he has done for the franchise and think he is already the best coach we've ever had, but it is only about the ring at the end of the day.

He has our guys playing smart football that means we usually don't beat ourselves, however we don't have that killer instinct necessary to survive in the playoffs.

I'm willing to give him two more years to win at least 2 playoff games, if he can't do that we should definitely be looking for new leadership.

P.S.-Smith was the Defensive coordinator in Jacksonville, he was the linebackers coach with the Ravens.

The thing is, this might understate Smith's influence in all the drafts we have had during his tenure here. The opportunity to get his pieces hasn't been negligible. I do think, though, that there is an overstatement of his situational shortcoming--one that will be lessened if we establish a run game to close out games in the future. Just by the nature of how the NFL clock works, it's an important component to finishing games you start strong in.

I do agree that Smith may be being impeded on changing due to initial success. People often come into something new, and when they see an element of success with a tactic, cling to it (like anyone who is starting out and uses the same play or move in a video game repeatedly). Good thought on the epiphany, perhaps Smith is too opposed to change since closing with Turner was so successful initially.

Mike Smith has been carried by the offense and Matt Ryan for 6 years...Without Matt Ryan, I doubt very seriously that his record would be even .500. The problem I have with Smith is that he is a defensive guy that can't build a defense worth anything! Other defensive coaches turned head coach do it with no names and late round draft choices/undrafted guys all of the time but Smith doesn't seem to have the ability to do so. Yeah, I guess you can conclude that he is above average but certainly not elite or Great. Unfortunately, it takes a great head coach to win Championships or even to contend on a regular basis despite the odds or circumstances. Mike Smith is just not that coach.

P.S.-Smith was the Defensive coordinator in Jacksonville, he was the linebackers coach with the Ravens.

That is exactly why situational football is his weakness. He likes to play it safe on offense and let the defense get after it. I can't recall a season that Smitty had an elite defense. The offense always kept its head above water (barring last season). People have wanted to feature Ryan and let him carry the team ala Peyton Manning, we proved that by trading all those picks to get Julio, but teams like that don't win championships, they just make games fun to watch. I think Smith would be at his best with a defense and now they're finally starting to put together the personel needed now that they have Nolan who is a great defensive schemer (BVG sucked). They also have familiarity since they worked together in Baltimore during the prime years. I'm not saying extend him beyond his two years, it's too early to say all of that. I'm saying lets give him sometime to put a defense together before we hand down the final judgement.

Edited by Macintez

Just a few things to point out he is I believe top 5 in wins since 08(2013 hurt his record) but he isn't the winnigest in that period, I think that it's either Sean Peyton or Bill Belichek.

Second he was Jville Dcoordinator before becoming our head coach.

Also this stint here is the first chance he has had to run a defense in his favor(Dline coach in Baltimore,Nolan was DC I believe,DC in Jville,Jack Del Rio Head coach ran the D)

Which kinda answer the question of why our D,specifically our Dline has never looked similar to that of Baltimore or Jville. They both had big stout DTackles. This is prob our first season with bigger DTs(more Nolan influence?)and finnally trying to build something more physical like the previous defenses he was a part of.

What I'm trying to get at with this little example is while Smith is a good head coach who has been great(he does play a factor into our past success) this is his first time having full control over anything be it Defense,Dline while team. BUT with his experience in the NFL ingeneral these things u suggest he is still learning is something someone with his experience should already have learned,and built up on that knowledge.

I've said before and I'll say again, Mike Smith is a good and can be Great Coach for a team that is starting up Again and in the rebuilding process, he has the right kind of discipline to coach a team in it's early stages of a rebuild, and his team follow in his discipline ways(Lack of penalty controlling the game clock) but he seems like a very Mediocre kind of coach after the team is past it's rebuild steps.

It's like riding a bike, he is the training wheels to your development,but when it's time to get rid of the training wheels he can't hold on. And can't help continue to help you or this team for that matter evolve.

His style of defense was ran by someone similar in BVG and it for the most part failed. Nolan was brought in and is time to let him keep on with this Bike and soon a new man in charge will,be needed, one that can keep up with this Bike as it no longer needs those training wheels, and hasn't for sometime now.

That is exactly why situational football is his weakness. He likes to play it safe on offense and let the defense get after it. I can't recall a season that Smitty had an elite defense. The offense always kept its head above water (barring last season). People have wanted to feature Ryan and let him carry the team ala Peyton Manning, but teams like that don't win championships, they just make games fun to watch. I think Smith would be at his best with a defense and now they're finally starting to put together the personel needed now that they have Nolan who is a great defensive schemer (BVG sucked). They also have familiarity since they worked together in Baltimore during the prime years. I'm not saying extend him beyond his two years, it's too early to say all of that. I'm saying lets give him sometime to put a defense together before we hand down the final judgement.

The undersized defensive line we've rocked the entire time he's been here has always confused me given Mike Smith's background. In Baltimore he coached linebackers like Ray Lewis, who attributed their success (and Superbowl) to playing behind large (each was 340-350 lbs !) DTs like Sam Adams and Tony Sirogusa (Their superbowl year they were a 4-3 base still)

In Jacksonville, Mike Smith had one of the league's better units, and it was manned by 6 ft. 7 320 John Henderson and 6 ft.6 310 Marcus Stroud.

It seemed at that point that he at least had the foundation of a defensive philosophy; stop the inside run with massive tackles, free your linebackers to key in on outside runs and the pass.

When he came here he abandoned all that, even drafting a 290 lb. 3 technique in the first round, Peria Jerry.

Our tiny line has often been fairly poor at stopping the inside run without even the benefit of consistent pressure up the middle.

Maybe our changes on the d-line signal that he has remembered the basis of what got him his current job, and even Super Bowl ring, in the first place.

That is exactly why situational football is his weakness. He likes to play it safe on offense and let the defense get after it. I can't recall a season that Smitty had an elite defense. The offense always kept its head above water (barring last season). People have wanted to feature Ryan and let him carry the team ala Peyton Manning, we proved that by trading all those picks to get Julio, but teams like that don't win championships, they just make games fun to watch. I think Smith would be at his best with a defense and now they're finally starting to put together the personel needed now that they have Nolan who is a great defensive schemer (BVG sucked). They also have familiarity since they worked together in Baltimore during the prime years. I'm not saying extend him beyond his two years, it's too early to say all of that. I'm saying lets give him sometime to put a defense together before we hand down the final judgement.

he's had 6 seasons to try and put together a defense In his image, he wanted a Tampa 2 type D, smaller Lineman that are more quick and finesse althought majority of his career he was in a defense that was built on stout and physicality.

Something we are finally moving towards(move over smith let Nolan run this D)

He's been in the game quite a while to still be learning his job.

I can't say for now whether or not he is the guy to get us to the Superbowl. Out of him, TD and Ryan, I trust Mike Smith the least.

I am a fan of what he has done for the franchise and think he is already the best coach we've ever had, but it is only about the ring at the end of the day.

He has our guys playing smart football that means we usually don't beat ourselves, however we don't have that killer instinct necessary to survive in the playoffs.

I'm willing to give him two more years to win at least 2 playoff games, if he can't do that we should definitely be looking for new leadership.

Why is this true?????

Every coach I ever had told me "Do your best, every game, every play --Do your best" Wins will come and so will losses BUT let them fall where they will --just go out and do your Best! In the end you only have one person to satisfy and that is yourself.

Of course that was over 50 years ago and the world has changed. Oh how I wish those were still the motivating factors

Just a few things to point out he is I believe top 5 in wins since 08(2013 hurt his record) but he isn't the winnigest in that period, I think that it's either Sean Peyton or Bill Belichek.

Second he was Jville Dcoordinator before becoming our head coach.

Also this stint here is the first chance he has had to run a defense in his favor(Dline coach in Baltimore,Nolan was DC I believe,DC in Jville,Jack Del Rio Head coach ran the D)

Which kinda answer the question of why our D,specifically our Dline has never looked similar to that of Baltimore or Jville. They both had big stout DTackles. This is prob our first season with bigger DTs(more Nolan influence?)and finnally trying to build something more physical like the previous defenses he was a part of.

What I'm trying to get at with this little example is while Smith is a good head coach who has been great(he does play a factor into our past success) this is his first time having full control over anything be it Defense,Dline while team. BUT with his experience in the NFL ingeneral these things u suggest he is still learning is something someone with his experience should already have learned,and built up on that knowledge.

I've said before and I'll say again, Mike Smith is a good and can be Great Coach for a team that is starting up Again and in the rebuilding process, he has the right kind of discipline to coach a team in it's early stages of a rebuild, and his team follow in his discipline ways(Lack of penalty controlling the game clock) but he seems like a very Mediocre kind of coach after the team is past it's rebuild steps.

It's like riding a bike, he is the training wheels to your development,but when it's time to get rid of the training wheels he can't hold on. And can't help continue to help you or this team for that matter evolve.

His style of defense was ran by someone similar in BVG and it for the most part failed. Nolan was brought in and is time to let him keep on with this Bike and soon a new man in charge will,be needed, one that can keep up with this Bike as it no longer needs those training wheels, and hasn't for sometime now.

Smith is not the kind of coach to take advantage of Ryan's strengths, which means he has been playing to his own weaknesses the last couple of years. Mike Smith does not have the offensive philosophy of a Payton or a McCarthy, plus BVG and TD haven't done a great job of picking defensive players but I think it was more of BVG's fault. I think the immediate success if Ryan caught the organization off guard. Then you think about when Blank went into "Win now" mode it hurt us even more, investing all those picks to get Julio. I don't regret getting Julio one bit, but everyone on this board knew that investment was going to bite us in the *** in the future. I'm not making excuses for Smith, but there are circumstances as to why we fell apart last year outside of the injuries. We had no defense and no depth, the opposite of NO and the Pats...

Smith is not the kind of coach to take advantage of Ryan's strengths, which means he has been playing to his own weaknesses the last couple of years. Mike Smith does not have the offensive philosophy of a Payton or a McCarthy, plus BVG and TD haven't done a great job of picking defensive players but I think it was more of BVG's fault. I think the immediate success if Ryan caught the organization off guard. Then you think about when Blank went into "Win now" mode it hurt us even more, investing all those picks to get Julio. I don't regret getting Julio one bit, but everyone on this board knew that investment was going to bite us in the *** in the future. I'm not making excuses for Smith, but there are circumstances as to why we fell apart last year outside of the injuries. We had no defense and no depth, the opposite of NO and the Pats...

now I'm not trying to compare us to NO or NE. Both have sketch defenses as well. It is true we had no depth on defense but whose fault is that? We had LBs to fill spots, we had Dlineman and safeties. We lost 2 Key D players in Bier and Spoon so this whole lack of depth still baffles me we lost more on O than on D.

Why is this true?????

Every coach I ever had told me "Do your best, every game, every play --Do your best" Wins will come and so will losses BUT let them fall where they will --just go out and do your Best! In the end you only have one person to satisfy and that is yourself.

Of course that was over 50 years ago and the world has changed. Oh how I wish those were still the motivating factors

Focusing on wins is fine when your are a bad team trying to become a good team. We are a good team, have been for 6 years now. Good teams focus on championships.

Mike Smith has been one of if not THE winningest coach the last 6 years. Regardless of the fact that he doesn't have a Super Bowl appearance and only one playoff win on his post-season resume, Smitty has gotten off to one of the hottest coaching starts since coming here... No growing pains whatsoever, which I think is amazing considering the fact that he was a D-line coach in Jacksonville.

Though for the last couple of years, Smitty's weaknesses have been brought to the spotlight, shining brighter on the biggest stages. While I love Smith as a coach, it's clear to see that situational football isn't his greatest attribute. Most of the time, coaches would learn that part of the game early on, in the middle of crappy seasons. Smith on the other hand, started his first season winning 11 games. Getting off to that great of a start after one of the worst seasons in NFL history eliminated any questions I had about him for a few years.

Since then there have been a lot of heartbreak losses and a couple of post-season blow outs. I really felt that there was a possibility that Smith could be gone at the end of this season or the next, until a thought hit me last night.

Most of the time when we draft a player, we give him a chance of 3-5 years to learn the nuances of the game. Now some can come in and make an immediate impact, and some are a lil' slow to come along. It's the same thing with coaching, you have your Bill Belicheck's, Sean Payton's, and Mike McCarthy's, but then you have some like Smith, who you want to consider in the former but can't without a Super Bowl ring/appearance.

Basically where I'm getting at is that while Smitty is a good coach, maybe he's still learning a few things about the game. Also, this team isn't suited for Smitty's strengths (He would obviously do better with a great defense since he does not have the offensive genius to take advantage of Ryan). Maybe Ryan deserves a lil more credit for the success we had early on... All-in-all, Smith was fortunate enough to inherit Ryan when he first arrived, but the success allowed him to ride the coat-tails of his QB instead of building a team that suits his strengths. All the coaches I mentioned earlier had that opportunity, I feel we should give Smith that same opportunity. Please understand that I typed this from my phone and that I may add some more details... But for now, those are my 2 cents.

Lest not forget Smitty had two top five scoring defenses in his first six years. I believe dude is a good coach that has two big issues:

1. Can't beat the Aints - so far he is 3-9 against them which is the worst head to head record against the Aints of all the NFCS teams from 08-13

2. His 1-4 postseason record - his teams were just not prepared. Even though the players didn't execute worth a dam, the coaching/strategy/game plans had some flaws

I like Smitty and hope he can survive, but if he wins less than nine games, and/or misses the playoffs this year, I'm ready to see him, Dimi and his coaches get gone. In that scenario I would like to see Blank gut the staff and bring in a new regime that will have us humming by the time we move to the Pantheon in September 2017.

In an era in which the NFL has succeeded in creating near-perfect parity among all its teams, it was inevitable that a few HC's would have an epiphany (sorry, couldn't help myself) and would take advantage of parity to create an impressive regular season won-loss record. It only needed two key ingredients: that the team not commit penalties, and the team not make critical mistakes, like interceptions, fumbles, etc. By simply not doing absolutely stupid things and not beating yourself, you will beat about 70% or more of your fellow average teams in the league. That's going to assure you of an excellent regular season record, as most of the teams on your schedule, year after year, are going to, well, basically suck.

The problem is they don't give out any trophies for beating half-azzed, bottom-feeder franchises in regular season. If they did, there would be a mountain of Reg. Season Trophies stacked up in Flowery Branch and Smith would have his life-time contract and they'd be melting the bronze for his statue to go out front of the new ball shack. But as we all know, you have to do something in the play-offs to actually get a chance to get the trophy. And that's where Mike Smith is hopelessly out-matched in every department and will never be able to "figure it out" as so many fans fervently hope after every play-off defeat. He's a conservative, grind-out-the-clock type of HC with no other arrows in his quiver. That is exactly the type of philosophy which loses against teams who are creative, aggressive and able to adapt in the heat of the moment.

Let's be honest. Mike Smith is no more capable of mentally and emotionally preparing his team to compete in a big game, or to analyze the other team and come up with a winning strategy, or to make a spontaneous, winning, in-game decision than a turtle crawling across a highway can suddenly break into a sprint when it sees a semi barreling into view. The old adage that a leopard can't change its spots is true in Smith's case. He is what he is ~ a solid coach who touts a very simplistic philosophy of football. That philosophy will win the majority of regular season games in the NFL, but it will forever fail miserably in the play-offs.

I don't think he has anything more to learn about the game per-se, I think he just needs to learn to get angry. After that heart incident a few years back, he's been soft. I don't think the players are scared of him. We can't have a buddy-coach, we need an assertive one. Hopefully if Smith can't do that Cox and Tice will. But still, in my eyes Smith just needs to be a stricter coach.

In an era in which the NFL has succeeded in creating near-perfect parity among all its teams, it was inevitable that a few HC's would have an epiphany (sorry, couldn't help myself) and would take advantage of parity to create an impressive regular season won-loss record. It only needed two key ingredients: that the team not commit penalties, and the team not make critical mistakes, like interceptions, fumbles, etc. By simply not doing absolutely stupid things and not beating yourself, you will beat about 70% or more of your fellow average teams in the league. That's going to assure you of an excellent regular season record, as most of the teams on your schedule, year after year, are going to, well, basically suck.

The problem is they don't give out any trophies for beating half-azzed, bottom-feeder franchises in regular season. If they did, there would be a mountain of Reg. Season Trophies stacked up in Flowery Branch and Smith would have his life-time contract and they'd be melting the bronze for his statue to go out front of the new ball shack. But as we all know, you have to do something in the play-offs to actually get a chance to get the trophy. And that's where Mike Smith is hopelessly out-matched in every department and will never be able to "figure it out" as so many fans fervently hope after every play-off defeat. He's a conservative, grind-out-the-clock type of HC with no other arrows in his quiver. That is exactly the type of philosophy which loses against teams who are creative, aggressive and able to adapt in the heat of the moment.

Let's be honest. Mike Smith is no more capable of mentally and emotionally preparing his team to compete in a big game, or to analyze the other team and come up with a winning strategy, or to make a spontaneous, winning, in-game decision than a turtle crawling across a highway can suddenly break into a sprint when it sees a semi barreling into view. The old adage that a leopard can't change its spots is true in Smith's case. He is what he is ~ a solid coach who touts a very simplistic philosophy of football. That philosophy will win the majority of regular season games in the NFL, but it will forever fail miserably in the play-offs.

This^^^^

Wow Just Wow. Coaches Coach And Players Play. I believe Smith should be given a lot of credit for getting the

most out of what personnel he has had. Is it his fault his early success have spoiled people around here? Nobody

expected us to be that good his first two years. I believe early success hurt us in the personnel dept. because we

have had to pick at the end of the round in drafts and we have had some misses in the draft. GREAT players make

good coaches look like genius. coach Fox looks like the coach of the year with Manning. Both harbaughs inherited

good teams personnel wise and also coach Tomlin. belichick got lucky with Brady and a clutch Kicker. We have the Coach

and the QB we just Need the best team around them on both sides of the ball.

Wow Just Wow. Coaches Coach And Players Play.

(This is true, however it is a coaches job to prepare players to play,and fit them right into the scheme.)

I believe Smith should be given a lot of credit for getting the

most out of what personnel he has had. Is it his fault his early success have spoiled people around here?

(Nope not his fault)

Nobody

expected us to be that good his first two years. I believe early success hurt us in the personnel dept. because we

have had to pick at the end of the round in drafts and we have had some misses in the draft.

(Where u draft is a terrible excuse,see ravens) also not smith fault however

GREAT players make

good coaches look like genius. coach Fox looks like the coach of the year with Manning. Both harbaughs inherited

good teams personnel wise and also coach Tomlin. belichick got lucky with Brady and a clutch Kicker.

(Coaches can make players look better than they same as well,See Matt Cassel)

We have the Coach

(We have the QB,and pieces for a successful defense,bow we need a coach who can bring out the best in all of them)

Edited by Falkonator

Wow Just Wow. Coaches Coach And Players Play. I believe Smith should be given a lot of credit for getting the

most out of what personnel he has had. Is it his fault his early success have spoiled people around here? Nobody

have had to pick at the end of the round in drafts and we have had some misses in the draft. GREAT players make

good teams personnel wise and also coach Tomlin. belichick got lucky with Brady and a clutch Kicker. We have the Coach

Agree....Smitty is the reason we have been successful. TD needs to find the players to improve our defense. Smitty does not do the drafting ....so where's our pass rush and stud muffins on D. Smitty is the right guy for the job

This^^^^^^^^

Hate to say it, but so true.

Smitty has to turn it up a notch this year hands down. To be successful, he has to abandon the conservative mantra that has plagued this team. Give Koetter the keys to this offense and let him pile up the points...give Nolan the rights to unleash havoc if not already on opposing offenses. You have to take some risks, dayum, we draft this way, why not apply it to in-game situations? It's the teams that can be creative and call plays on the fly that have been successful in the NFL.

I really like Smith and all that he's done here in Atlanta. That said I'm starting to lose patience with him. I need to see more. Even if we miss the playoffs this year as long as I see a different Smith I will probably be content. I want to see his passion come back.