Anyone Disappointed With Tony Dungy?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No disappointed in society that we haven't grown up enough to be able to deal with this nonissue. He's probably right, some knuckle dragger who for some unknown reason cares who Sam sleeps with will probably start something. Btw the whole I wouldn't take him says more about dungy then sam.

I think he was being honest, and I appreciate that. He has the experience to form a legitimate opinion on the matter. Besides, he'd probably draft a terrible WR ahead of Michael Sam.

Unfortunately, he's probably right. People's perception of homosexuality, coupled with the 24 hour media cycle, will likely bring a burden to the Rams that isn't commensurate with Sam's talent.

I'm a little worn out on the 'Tony Dungy as conscience of the NFL', though.

I don't know what Dungy's history has been regarding tolerance or intolerance towards homosexuals. But as a football guy, I understand what he is saying and don't disagree.

You would hope that a guy's sexual orientation would not prevent a 7th round guy from going in the 7th round. But you know you don't have a lot of up side expectations from a 7th round guy. You want a guy who MIGHT help your team and certainly won't hurt your team. So it makes sense that you would want the late round guy who won't create distractions.

Hopefully, Dungy is discriminating against marginal guys who might bring a distraction, rather than marginal guys who are gay. Presumably, he would say the same thing about a guy with late round talent who has criminal issues, drug issues, laziness issues, grade issues, etc. The UNFAIRNESS is that the issues I just mentioned go to character, which homosexuality does not.

I doubt Dungy, or anyone else for that matter, expected anything different from the "We will not tolerate your intolerance" crowd. Really, par for the course.

If Clowney or Mack had come out gay, I think every coach in the NFL would have still jumped at the chance to draft them. A guy that will be a huge media distraction, and may (probably) not even make the team... not so much. You want to see a headache and hateful tweets? Check out what will be directed at the Rams if they end up deciding that someone else could better help their team, and cut Sam.

No disappointed in society that we haven't grown up enough to be able to deal with this nonissue. He's probably right, some knuckle dragger who for some unknown reason cares who Sam sleeps with will probably start something. Btw the whole I wouldn't take him says more about dungy then sam.

The only knuckle dragger making a big deal about who Sam sleeps with is Sam himself. If he didn't tell me, I wouldn't know or care...

I doubt Dungy, or anyone else for that matter, expected anything different from the "We will not tolerate your intolerance" crowd. Really, par for the course.

If Clowney or Mack had come out gay, I think every coach in the NFL would have still jumped at the chance to draft them. A guy that will be a huge media distraction, and may (probably) not even make the team... not so much. You want to see a headache and hateful tweets? Check out what will be directed at the Rams if they end up deciding that someone else could better help their team, and cut Sam.

I'm sure there weren't any hateful tweets directed at the Rams when they did draft him...

Oh. Here's something I found in 8 seconds.

http://deadspin.com/...on-e-1574591627

Weird. It's almost like twitter is filled with a lot of hateful idiots and not just the "we won't tolerate your intolerance crowd" (which is still hilarious to me).

Said this numerous times before, facebook shows me people with who I am acquainted are idiots, and twitter shows me the entire world is full of idiots.

Yup. I said as much a few days ago. I'm a Dungy fan and I still like him but I'd be lying to say that I'm not disappointed in his comments. That said, not at all surprised knowing Tony Dungy. He's a very religious/conservative Christian when it comes to certain issues and if you've known his stance on things in the past this wasn't really shocking. Sure, he's going to try and clean it up and many will argue that Sam was a marginal player, etc. but the reality is Dungy is a Christian and would not want any parts of the "gay thing" in his locker room. Frankly, as a minority coach that was a minority QB and had to deal with a number of issues coming up the distraction argument is complete weaksauce to me.

He was all behind Vick and whatever distraction he was going to be when he came back into the league.

He's all in as far as Manziel goes and while I don't think the Manziel stuff is a big deal it's still somewhat of a distraction.

Do you think that if he was coaching he'd have any qualms in giving a guy like Tim Tebow a shot b/c of "distractions"? I don't...

I get that it's a unique issue but I think it's a weak excuse to hide behind distractions.

I don't know what Dungy's history has been regarding tolerance or intolerance towards homosexuals. But as a football guy, I understand what he is saying and don't disagree.

You would hope that a guy's sexual orientation would not prevent a 7th round guy from going in the 7th round. But you know you don't have a lot of up side expectations from a 7th round guy. You want a guy who MIGHT help your team and certainly won't hurt your team. So it makes sense that you would want the late round guy who won't create distractions.

Hopefully, Dungy is discriminating against marginal guys who might bring a distraction, rather than marginal guys who are gay. Presumably, he would say the same thing about a guy with late round talent who has criminal issues, drug issues, laziness issues, grade issues, etc. The UNFAIRNESS is that the issues I just mentioned go to character, which homosexuality does not.

Didn't Dungy actually say he had no problem with him playing in the league and thought he should be allowed to play in the league?

The thing about the whole "you're a homophobe if you disagree with us" that bothers me the most is it absolutely is not enough to support someone's right to do something. You PERSONALLY have to be on board with celebrating it or you're called names. Dungy didn't even say he had a problem with Sam as a homosexual, or anything close to that, but he's being spoken of like he's some kind of bigot, all for simply saying "I wouldn't want that distraction on my team." And for that, he's treated as if he supports oppression.

The Dan Wetzel article was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. A pasty faced younger white jackass berating an older black man for not appreciating his own civil rights heritage. The irony would be rich if only the ironic ones could see it.

Yup. I said as much a few days ago. I'm a Dungy fan and I still like him but I'd be lying to say that I'm not disappointed in his comments. That said, not at all surprised knowing Tony Dungy. He's a very religious/conservative Christian when it comes to certain issues and if you've known his stance on things in the past this wasn't really shocking. Sure, he's going to try and clean it up and many will argue that Sam was a marginal player, etc. but the reality is Dungy is a Christian and would not want any parts of the "gay thing" in his locker room. Frankly, as a minority coach that was a minority QB and had to deal with a number of issues coming up the distraction argument is complete weaksauce to me.

He was all behind Vick and whatever distraction he was going to be when he came back into the league.

He's all in as far as Manziel goes and while I don't think the Manziel stuff is a big deal it's still somewhat of a distraction.

Do you think that if he was coaching he'd have any qualms in giving a guy like Tim Tebow a shot b/c of "distractions"? I don't...

I get that it's a unique issue but I think it's a weak excuse to hide behind distractions.

I don't think he'd give Tim Tebow a shot because he's a terrible football player.

I think a lot of the media frenzy about Michael Sam is covering up the fact that 32 teams in the NFL thought the very same thing about Michael Sam (32 because even the team that drafted him did it with a flyer in the 7th round). I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts if Michael Sam had Jadaveon Clowny talent, Tony Dungy would be the first in line to say "bring on the distraction!"

Didn't Dungy actually say he had no problem with him playing in the league and thought he should be allowed to play in the league?

The thing about the whole "you're a homophobe if you disagree with us" that bothers me the most is it absolutely is not enough to support someone's right to do something. You PERSONALLY have to be on board with celebrating it or you're called names. Dungy didn't even say he had a problem with Sam as a homosexual, or anything close to that, but he's being spoken of like he's some kind of bigot, all for simply saying "I wouldn't want that distraction on my team." And for that, he's treated as if he supports oppression.

The Dan Wetzel article was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. A pasty faced younger white jackass berating an older black man for not appreciating his own civil rights heritage. The irony would be rich if only the ironic ones could see it.

Yeah when he clarified his comments he said he had no problem with him playing, he just said he wouldn't want that distraction for his team if he were running a team.

I don't know his stance on Tebow, but I will agree with some here that his stance on Sam as a distraction might be slightly disingenuous given his support of Vick, who was a big distraction due to the animal rights' protestors.

With that said, I still have no problem with Dungy's comments on this.