O-Line: Curb Your Enthusiasm!

Guest MikeKennHOF

Guest MikeKennHOF

Like most of you, I believe our offensive line is trending upward. Then again, it almost HAS to go upward. But I have seen a lot of posters with rosy and lofty expectations.

That's adorable!

And also likely going to lead you astray.

Let's look at our new line.

LT: a worthless schlub whose only good year was his contract year.

LG: a guy who was really good 3 years ago.

C: a guy with a history of spotty play.

RG: a guy who lost his job and got benched.

RT: a rookie.

Now, those are all the worst slants on the individuals. They are not all going to rear their heads, but some of them will likely do so.

What am I trying to say? Simple. Don't expect miracles. Even a poor-to-mediocre line would be a huge step up.

Like The Gin Blossoms sang, "if you don't expect too kuch of me, you might not be let down."

I don't want a season of advancement run down by butthurt whiners. I would be perfectly with 7-9 or 8-8 as long as we showed real, measurable progress.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Like most of you, I believe our offensive line is trending upward. Then again, it almost HAS to go upward. But I have seen a lot of posters with rosy and lofty expectations.

That's adorable!

Now, those are all the worst slants on the individuals. They are not all going to rear their heads, but some of them will likely do so.

What am I trying to say? Simple. Don't expect miracles. Even a poor-to-mediocre line would be a huge step up.

Like The Gin Blossoms sang, "if you don't expect too kuch of me, you might not be let down."

I don't want a season of advancement run down by butthurt whiners. I would be perfectly with 7-9 or 8-8 as long as we showed real, measurable progress.

LT: A solid player who has struggled with injuries but has shown signs of recovery and incredible determination.

LG: Very solid experienced veteran who has shown almost no signs of slowing down.

C: A guy who had to earn his starting job and has something to prove.

RG: A guy who has consistently been ranked as a good guard and unfortunately didn't fit in with a scheme change that took place last year, and only lost his job to a younger guy who was absolutely killing it.

RT: One of the most prestigious tackle prospects in the past 20 years.

Now what were you saying? It's all subjective, bub.

That's adorable!

I wouldn't be fine with 7-9 or 8-8...and if you're a Falcon fan neither should you.

Guest MikeKennHOF

Every party has its pooper!

That's kinda uncalled for.

He's just looking to stir up some trollery. Ignore him.

Do you agree we should all be more guarded in our optimism, and should have our sights set to more moderate heights?

Guest MikeKennHOF

LT: A solid player who has struggled with injuries but has shown signs of recovery and incredible determination.

LG: Very solid experienced veteran who has shown almost no signs of slowing down.

RG: A guy who has consistently been ranked as a good guard and unfortunately didn't fit in with a scheme change that took place last year, and only lost his job to a younger guy who was absolutely killing it.

Everything you said is also true. But to assume that all 5 guys will hit on all cylinders, mesh cohesively, and stay healthy? That is exactly as unlikely as all 5 crapping the bed simultaneously.

The actual results will almost certainly land in the middle.

Guest MikeKennHOF

I wouldn't be fine with 7-9 or 8-8...and if you're a Falcon fan neither should you.

8-8 is probably better than the franchise average record.

This.

Everything you said is also true. But to assume that all 5 guys will hit on all cylinders, mesh cohesively, and stay healthy? That is exactly as unlikely as all 5 crapping the bed simultaneously.

The actual results will almost certainly land in the middle.

Yeah, I gotcha man. I think what we'll likely see is them being average to weak in the first 8 games or so but by the end of the season and as we near playoffs, they'll really mesh and fit together well.

Guest MikeKennHOF

Asamoah 'lost' his job because he got injured and Schwartz was phenomenal in his absence and met the criteria of their offence more. Asamoah has consistently been one of the best pass blocking guards in the NFL since he started.

But he DID lose his job, yes?

Guest MikeKennHOF

Yeah, I gotcha man. I think what we'll likely see is them being average to weak in the first 8 games or so but by the end of the season and as we near playoffs, they'll really mesh and fit together well.

I do not see us even close to making the playoffs. The line will likely be improved, but improved enough? And our defense promises to be a speedbump once again.

He's just looking to stir up some trollery. Ignore him.

Do you agree we should all be more guarded in our optimism, and should have our sights set to more moderate heights?

Well, I'm cautiously optimistic but it's no skin of my back if anyone thinks our o line will be world beaters. The thing is, if they are JUST average as a unit, we'll be fine.

I definitely expect significant improvement but I don't expect them to look like a group of all pros all the time.

That's adorable!

I don't want a season of advancement run down by butthurt whiners....

For someone whose been complaining a lot about trolls, you're being really condescending and insulting.

Always someone trying to tell me how to be a fan, always telling me to "temper my expectations", "be realistic", never had any of those people explain to me how that's better.

If it's better for you, great, just don't tell me I have to be that way and be condescending and insulting about presenting your opinion.

Guest MikeKennHOF

For someone whose been complaining a lot about trolls, you're being really condescending and insulting.

Always someone trying to tell me how to be a fan, always telling me to "temper my expectations", "be realistic", never had any of those people explain to me how that's better.

If it's better for you, great, just don't tell me I have to be that way and be condescending and insulting about presenting your opinion.

I'll explain how its better.

If you realize that a 7-9 season is about what we can reasonably expect, then anything better is gravy. And that 7-9 season won't be such a disappointment. 7-9 should not bring people to butthurt tears.

Expect only what can reasonably be expected.

Guest MikeKennHOF

Haha... so expect the worst so you don't get your fragile heart broken?

Naw. That's all you.

I don't expect the worst: I expect the most likely outcome. I think history shows that never does everything all work out perfectly.

Sam Baker is the most likely to implode. I also expect rookie mistakes, especially early, from Matthews. And I am not sold on Hawley. I'm good with Hawley-probably, but I've seen him get bullied too often.

And of course the defense is still a tire fire.

Just because you choose pessimism doesn't mean you need to shove it down other people's throats. Personally i'm as pessimistic as they come but i understand people get enjoyment out of actually thinking things may turn out for the best. Odd concept to some.