What Is This, A Glimmer Of Hope Amidst All The Doom And Gloom

Des-pool

So sayeth Mike Verhal from Football Outsiders:

The Falcons lost seven games by eight points or less in 2013 and played without Julio Jones, their best player, for two-thirds of the season. With a depleted offense, Matt Ryan and Co. went up against one of the 10 most difficult defensive schedules in the past 25 years … With Jones back and first-round draft pick Jake Matthews solidifying the offensive line, Ryan — who is criminally underrated, by the way — should be able to lead the Falcons back into contention. - See more at: http://markbradley.blog.ajc.com/2014/07/21/football-outsiders-thinks-falcons-will-rebound/#sthash.fgHJguIO.dpuf

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DD, there you go! Going all DD on us! Nobody truly thinks Ryan is a bad QB, he's just not all universe like some say. As far as the article, I think the writer hasn't taken into account the impact of TG retiring. I think TG alone kept a significant amount of drives alive despite some crappy passes by yours truly, Mattie Ryan. Also he DEMANDED at least a double team. Teams can now put their number one CB on ole horse face Roddy and role coverage on Julio. Also, your team is banking on Julio staying healthy a full season. Football starts with line play and outside of your 1st round pick, the ATL hasn't done much to improve in that area.

DD, there you go! Going all DD on us! Nobody truly thinks Ryan is a bad QB, he's just not all universe like some say. As far as the article, I think the writer hasn't taken into account the impact of TG retiring. I think TG alone kept a significant amount of drives alive despite some crappy passes by yours truly, Mattie Ryan. Also he DEMANDED at least a double team. Teams can now put their number one CB on ole horse face Roddy and role coverage on Julio. Also, your team is banking on Julio staying healthy a full season. Football starts with line play and outside of your 1st round pick, the ATL hasn't done much to improve in that area.

your theory debunked in one article

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24586112/bigger-healthier-falcons-cant-wait-to-prove-critics-wrong-in-2014

If you really think teams were doubling Tony Gonzales and not Julio and Roddy, then I'm not sure what to tell you. Sure, Tony kept plenty of drives alive, but nobody was doubling him and begging their corner to get burned by Julio.

You don't consider Asamoah and a hopefully healthy Baker an upgrade over Holmes and the revolving door at RG?

If you really think teams were doubling Tony Gonzales and not Julio and Roddy, then I'm not sure what to tell you. Sure, Tony kept plenty of drives alive, but nobody was doubling him and begging their corner to get burned by Julio.

Tony got a lot of LB and DB attention. No other TE on ATL's roster is going to demand this, hence the statement I made. . .

You don't consider Asamoah and a hopefully healthy Baker an upgrade over Holmes and the revolving door at RG?

Wasn't Baker the object of many Falcon fan's scorn two seasons prior? I really haven't seen much of Asamoah to really know what he brings to the table. We all know it does take a line a period of time to gel. I remember before B De La Puente we picked up Kruetz from Da Bears and he quit on us, so all this talk is fine because there isn't much going on, we really have to see how the lines gel in the preseason and even that wont be terribly telling. The only way we will know 100% is when the bullets (or eggs in ATL's case) start flying week one.

Wasn't Baker the object of many Falcon fan's scorn two seasons prior? I really haven't seen much of Asamoah to really know what he brings to the table. We all know it does take a line a period of time to gel. I remember before B De La Puente we picked up Kruetz from Da Bears and he quit on us, so all this talk is fine because there isn't much going on, we really have to see how the lines gel in the preseason and even that wont be terribly telling. The only way we will know 100% is when the bullets (or eggs in ATL's case) start flying week one.

When healthy Baker plays well enough, see 2012. Asamoah is a huge upgrade at the RG position, not to mention he'll be playing next to Jake.

I'm very optimistic about our line play improving. You're correct about the oline and continuity, it will take time.

The loss of TG and no help from the defense will be the downfall of the Falcons next year IMO

No, just the defense. Harry Douglass will make up for a Hall of Famer's production (according to the article).

While I agree he got attention, I can all but promise that Roddy and Julio Drew attention away from him and not vice versa.

Well, we will never fully know now. TG is retired, Roddy is a year older and Julio is an ingrown toenail away from not playing.

Baker played very well in 2012. He had an unrelated injury to what was previously holding him back. Don't know how he'll be this year but when healthy the fellar can play

Baker played very well in 2012. He had an unrelated injury to what was previously holding him back. Don't know how he'll be this year but when healthy the fellar can play

He was a first round draft pick so it's not like he doesn't have the talent to play. The oline, with the selection of Matthews alone, should be better as a whole this year. How much? It's hard to say.

He was a first round draft pick so it's not like he doesn't have the talent to play. The oline, with the selection of Matthews alone, should be better as a whole this year. How much? It's hard to say.

i think the biggest thing about our oline is lamar holmes isnt going to be on the final roster, addition by subtraction