Butcher of Bankhead

Cops Senselessly Kill Another American Citizen

2,736 posts in this topic

I wonder if you knew the guy would you feel the same?  Like if you broke bread with them and knew their family and their calm demeanor would you respond the way you do?  

I wonder how my friends would feel?  Would they say something is wrong if it was wrong or would they side with them and say I should have complied even when I was following orders.  

Man I hope no one profiles me for my big head :(

9 hours ago, lostone said:

I wonder if you knew the guy would you feel the same?  Like if you broke bread with them and knew their family and their calm demeanor would you respond the way you do?  

I wonder how my friends would feel?  Would they say something is wrong if it was wrong or would they side with them and say I should have complied even when I was following orders.  

Man I hope no one profiles me for my big head :(

A guy I casually knew through my training group was hit by a car Wednesday morning while out for group a run.  He crossed an intersection and apparently didn't see the minivan.  38 years old.  Father of 2.  Went out to exercise with friends and died.  It was his fault.  Me knowing him doesn't change that, and it still ****ing sucks.  

capologist likes this

10 hours ago, Statick said:

Let's be real here...the suspect reasons for Castile being stopped in the first place (having a wide nose) and getting shot (because had a firearm and was supposedly smelling of marijuana in the presence of a child) negates all the advice the article was attempting to give, especially if the officer was poorly trained.

So now instead of arguing that Yanez shouldn't have shot him, we're at Yanez shouldn't have stopped him.  Perhaps you're right.  I don't know the entire circumstance (proximity and time of robbery to Castile being pulled over) but it points to a much bigger issue.  

And thanks for bringing up the marijuana issue.  Like it or not, it immediately negates his legal right to carry a firearm.

1 hour ago, kicker said:

So now instead of arguing that Yanez shouldn't have shot him, we're at Yanez shouldn't have stopped him.  Perhaps you're right.  I don't know the entire circumstance (proximity and time of robbery to Castile being pulled over) but it points to a much bigger issue.  

And thanks for bringing up the marijuana issue.  Like it or not, it immediately negates his legal right to carry a firearm.

All I know is Yanez was calm and cool when he approached and even after being told that Castile had a weapon he didn't go nuts, he said "That's fine just don't reach for it".  Now after that, he panicked.  There's definitely things he should have done differently.  Castile had already provided his license and registration as he was instructed to do.  If people will listen objectively, you'll hear the girlfriend explain that he was just reaching for his firearms permit.  Yanez didn't ask for that so yes Castile made an error as well.  As the article said, just because someone makes a mistake doesn't equate to justifying the shooting.  It seems to me that a lot of the responses in this thread are taking it that way and while i get the frustration and I empathize with that but we all need to be able to recognize mistakes in order to improve situations...

JDaveG likes this

2 hours ago, kicker said:

It also shouldn't negate his legal right to life either.

JDaveG and BrockSamson like this

The whole "smoking in front of his kid" story was probably some crap he thought would sound good.  Or some crap his lawyer came up with.  No one thinks that in real time.    

He or his lawyer was trying to save his *** from going to jail.  

Bunchy Carter and mfaulk57158 like this

I finally watched the video.  Was trying not to.  

Not sure about the legal car stop part.  He told the guy why he pulled him over.  Not sure what that state's laws are but that was a legal stop in AL.  

His car stop techniques were awful.  His approach, passing the door jam, and leaning into the car were not what anyone teaches.  If he had stopped short at the drivers door jam and the drivers says, "I have a gun".  You have the ability to retreat and handle the situation a different way.    

The secondary officer was equally awful.  He has the ability to see more from that side of the car.  **** when the shots were fired that dude ran out of the picture.  

To me after watching the video...taking judgement out of it.  Their technique and approach was a bigger contributing circumstance than whatever the officer thought he saw the driver move for.      

One thing I've learned about all of these cases is that there is always a way to rationalize it into being the fault of the victim if that's what one wants to do. So I don't think anything will change. 

The culture of the drug war is what causes these confrontations. Our goal as a society should be as little police/ citizen interactions as possible, but the drug war demands the exact opposite. Increased confrontations create more anger and fear and lead to these shooting. Which, as we seen in this thread, there are plenty who are more than happy to always blame the victim. 

1 hour ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

One thing I've learned about all of these cases is that there is always a way to rationalize it into being the fault of the victim if that's what one wants to do. So I don't think anything will change. 

The culture of the drug war is what causes these confrontations. Our goal as a society should be as little police/ citizen interactions as possible, but the drug war demands the exact opposite. Increased confrontations create more anger and fear and lead to these shooting. Which, as we seen in this thread, there are plenty who are more than happy to always blame the victim. 

This has been going on much longer than the drug war.  When did bigotry and disregard for human life become just, an opinion?

BrockSamson likes this

1 hour ago, mfaulk57158 said:

This has been going on much longer than the drug war.  When did bigotry and disregard for human life become just, an opinion?

True, but you have to admit that things have been amped up the last few years.......................a lot.  I'm of the opinion it is due to the threshold for use of deadly force is straight up bullsh!t, training, conditioning (black males (especially) are monsters that need to be put down), dialing 911 can be a death sentence to some of us, and a LOT of these cops are straight up ******* now!  Mind you, what I just typed is coming from someone that has something in common with these cops (Army Ranger, been in combat twice), so a lot of what is happening doesn't make sense to me.

Bunchy Carter likes this

1 hour ago, mfaulk57158 said:

The drug war is just the latest installment of that bigotry. It's no coincidence that it started just as Jim Crow ended. The same oppression in a different wrapper. 

Drug war is impartial!  What are you guys talking about?!  The system being setup this way hasn't messed anything up specifically in your neighborhoods.  Crack was more addictive than cocaine.  It's the reason why you had to have like 5KG of cocaine to get in trouble.

now these opioids... let's have compassion for them.  Let's not acknowledge the royal screwing we did to millions of black males then say "where the daddies?"

42 minutes ago, lostone said:

Drug war is impartial!  What are you guys talking about?!  The system being setup this way hasn't messed anything up specifically in your neighborhoods.  Crack was more addictive than cocaine.  It's the reason why you had to have like 5KG of cocaine to get in trouble.

now these opioids... let's have compassion for them.  Let's not acknowledge the royal screwing we did to millions of black males then say "where the daddies?"

C'mon Lost One, you already know the answer to your questions.  We don't fly or float that mess over here, but Ollie CONFIRMED what we already suspected/knew.  Also, look at how the sentencing (like you said) and how the opioid epidemic is being handled now when it affect others versus us.  Welfare was a trap (look at the statistics).  He11, they are about use killing that (white) kid as a pretext for military action against North Korea (dam the almost 40,00 troops we have over there, dam the millions of Koreans and Japanese that are going to get caught up in this), but cops gun down black people for simple bullsh!t and pepole don't do jack (DoJ did almost nothing to stop it when we had a black president).  The only thing that has really changed is they aren't trying to hide it anymore!

lostone, Bunchy Carter and Statick like this

I am terrified to get pulled over.  If I am killed, no matter what it will be my fault.  I will have done something wrong to have deserved it.  Like that time I got a speeding ticket when I was 19 or that time I crossed the double yellow lines in SC and was reduced to a seat belt violation.  They will also put up my worst picture they can find of my non smiling face at work.

JDaveG and Bunchy Carter like this

14 minutes ago, lostone said:

I am terrified to get pulled over.  If I am killed, no matter what it will be my fault.  I will have done something wrong to have deserved it.  Like that time I got a speeding ticket when I was 19 or that time I crossed the double yellow lines in SC and was reduced to a seat belt violation.  They will also put up my worst picture they can find of my non smiling face at work.

I'm not worried about me, I'm worried for my son.  He has been sheltered his entire life, raised right, played by the rules, going to college at GW in order to make something out of himself.  I'm terrified that some dumb azz, scared cop will take everything away from him, and as a father, it is truly frightening.  We're fuked unless something changes.....................and soon!

Bunchy Carter and Statick like this

8 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

I'm not worried about me, I'm worried for my son.  He has been sheltered his entire life, raised right, played by the rules, going to college at GW in order to make something out of himself.  I'm terrified that some dumb azz, scared cop will take everything away from him, and as a father, it is truly frightening.  We're fuked unless something changes.....................and soon!

Ouch man, he will make it.  He won't be a statistic.

going to watch history channel's war on drugs documentary this weekend.  Probably won't help that sentiment 

Bunchy Carter likes this

1 minute ago, lostone said:

Ouch man, he will make it.  He won't be a statistic.

going to watch history channel's war on drugs documentary this weekend.  Probably won't help that sentiment 

Going to watch it myself......................................but on the flip side, I'm going to watch "Power" too!  :ninja::lol: I know it's messed up, but it is what it is!:lol:

lostone and Bunchy Carter like this

2 hours ago, lostone said:

oh lord cry us a river 

1 hour ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

1. He should've complied.

2. Why drive aggressively?

3. Officers have a tough job.

4. Audio? Who needs audio? Obviously the driver is assaulting those officers fists, elbows and knees with his body!

5. Who cares about his race? Why does everything have to be about race? Why doesn't the Laotian community focus on Laotian on Laotian crime? 

6. I didn't even notice he was Asian... because the officers followed protocol and would've treated a white male the same!

7. Bootstraps

Andrews_31 and Gritzblitz 2.0 like this

31 minutes ago, lostone said:

Glad this kid made it out alive.  They are fired, but I will be surprised if they are convicted of anything 

Bro, if they're convicted of ANYTHING and serve a credible sentence ( see: not a b.s. slap on the wrist) I'll buy us both Tix to a Falcons Game and the BEST seats available. I'll buy all gas from NC and back... plus pay your hotel rate.

2 minutes ago, Bunchy Carter said:

Bro, if they're convicted of ANYTHING and serve a credible sentence ( see: not a b.s. slap on the wrist) I'll buy us both Tix to a Falcons Game and the BEST seats available. I'll buy all gas from NC and back... plus pay your hotel rate.

Not gonna happen.  The kids head wasn't complying with the concrete 

Bunchy Carter likes this