Butcher of Bankhead

Cops Senselessly Kill Another American Citizen

2,736 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, Grrrillapmpn Inc.® said:

Yeah, YOU can. Because you are white.

All we can do is pray we don't get shot. But we can't clasp our hands like people traditionally do when they pray, that'll probably get us shot. 

Have ever literally prayed you make it out of a traffic stop alive? Can you imagine what that's like? 

I've never feared for my life at a traffic stop, but in my defense I've never been pulled over high on marijuana with a gun in my pocket.  

capologist likes this

19 minutes ago, kicker said:

I've never feared for my life at a traffic stop, but in my defense I've never been pulled over high on marijuana with a gun in my pocket.  

Neither have I. So why do you think I was terrified enough to ask God to look after me? 

I'll cross two reasons off for you right now. No warrants, no priors. 

Just now, Grrrillapmpn Inc.® said:

Neither have I. So why do you think I was terrified enough to ask God to look after me? 

I'll cross two reasons off for you right now. No warrants, no priors. 

Maybe because you have an unhealthy disdain for cops?

Jimsmusic™ and capologist like this

3 minutes ago, kicker said:

Maybe because you have an unhealthy disdain for cops?

Or maybe it is because he understands reality....like it or not it is a reality for people of color in this country.

I am white but I do have black and hispanic friends(which here in az might as well be black with the way some people treat them) and I have seen first hand how differently they can be treated.

2 hours ago, kicker said:

And you think that makes this whole situation racist?  

http://www.startribune.com/police-audio-officer-stopped-philando-castile-on-robbery-suspicion/386344001/#1

The officer decided the car looked suspicious. He radioed to a nearby squad that he was going to pull it over and check IDs of the driver and passenger.

The two occupants just look like people that were involved in a robbery,” he said casually, according to police audio obtained by the Star Tribune. “The driver looks more like one of our suspects, just because of the wide-set nose. I couldn’t get a good look at the passenger.

It’s unclear which robbery suspects police believed Castile and Reynolds resembled. However, one day earlier, the BCA issued a call for the public’s help in identifying two suspects in a July 2 armed robbery of a nearby Lauderdale convenience store. Both suspects in the July 2 robbery were described as black men with shoulder-length or longer dreadlocks. The descriptions of the suspects included the clothing each suspect wore, but did not include estimated height, weight or ages.

Albert Goins, an attorney who assisted the Castile family in the hours following the shooting, said that if Castile were indeed a robbery suspect, officers would have initiated a felony traffic stop, which “does not usually involve officers walking up to your car and asking you to produce your driver’s license.”

“A felony stop involves bringing the suspect out at gunpoint while officers are in a position of cover and having them lie on the ground until they can identify who that individual is,” he said.

With regard to the audio, Goins said, “I can’t imagine that it’s reasonable suspicion to make a stop because somebody had a broad nose.

3 hours ago, Bunchy Carter said:

Lol, as if you're not as transparent as a picture window in a Nunnery.

All knowing I see but you obviously haven't read a single word I've typed because I haven't taken anyone's side but keep trying...

16 minutes ago, capologist said:

All knowing I see but you obviously haven't read a single word I've typed because I haven't taken anyone's side but keep trying...

Actually I've read EVERY word. That's why you're so transparent. You act as if this thread happened in a vacuum. As if there's not a BUNCH of context to consider. Your own words betray you sir. I get that you're trying to throw stones and hide your hands...but you won't pull that small time stuff over on me. Have a good evening, just know that every single POC in this thread already knows what you're trying to deny. 

mfaulk57158 likes this

2 hours ago, Billy Ocean said:

Compliance will get you shot. Noncompliance will get you shot. Guess you might try playing dead, like when approached by a grizzly bear.

compliance lol good try 

The video of the child trying to comfort his mother to stop screaming cause they might shoot her too is heartbreaking

4 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

Did your parents have any children that lived?

did your mom have a son that was gay

18 minutes ago, Bunchy Carter said:

Actually I've read EVERY word. That's why you're so transparent. You act as if this thread happened in a vacuum. As if there's not a BUNCH of context to consider. Your own words betray you sir. I get that you're trying to throw stones and hide your hands...but you won't pull that small time stuff over on me. Have a good evening, just know that every single POC in this thread already knows what you're trying to deny. 

Well, you are seeing something that you want to see, not actually there but whatever floats your boat.  You don't know me, I don't know you so I won't stoop to that level...

7 minutes ago, capologist said:

Well, you are seeing something that you want to see, not actually there but whatever floats your boat.  You don't know me, I don't know you so I won't stoop to that level...

Riiiiight. A figment of the imagination. Gotcha...chief.

It is quite obvious that some cops are not fit mentally for the job. Too trigger happy for the least provocation. Sure they are worried for their lives but some are just too scared. They knew they risks when they applied for the job. There needs to be some psychological evaluation to weed out the trigger happy who  would be over reactive in situations that need a level head. Don't know what kind of test this could b e. They teach 'shoot don't shoot'  exercises but this doesn't seem to be working. Several cases have shown the officer THOUGHT the suspect was reaching for a gun. Be ready to shoot if the suspect actually produces a gun. Then those officers that shot unarmed suspects especially the ones running and were shot in the back . . . . . . go to jail dummies. You make it look bad for the good, level headed officers.

notthatcool likes this

1 hour ago, big_dog said:

It is quite obvious that some cops are not fit mentally for the job. Too trigger happy for the least provocation. Sure they are worried for their lives but some are just too scared. They knew they risks when they applied for the job. There needs to be some psychological evaluation to weed out the trigger happy who  would be over reactive in situations that need a level head. Don't know what kind of test this could b e. They teach 'shoot don't shoot'  exercises but this doesn't seem to be working. Several cases have shown the officer THOUGHT the suspect was reaching for a gun. Be ready to shoot if the suspect actually produces a gun. Then those officers that shot unarmed suspects especially the ones running and were shot in the back . . . . . . go to jail dummies. You make it look bad for the good, level headed officers.

Agree with most of this.  There are some that don't need to be on the job for various reasons.  Too macho, trigger happy, scared, cant make a decision, etc...  But to my knowledge there is not a test you could give a candidate to see if they meet any of the qualifiers to discount their application.  

The facts are what they are.  This is not a high paying job.  You are stuck hiring the best of a pool of people that are way overqualified but need a paycheck or have no business doing this but want a paycheck higher than min mage.  

There are ****** employees in every line of work.  But being a ****** Police Officer can cause someone to lose their life over something that didn't need to escalate to that point.    

Big_Dog and capologist like this

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/the-philando-castile-shooting-and-some-advice-for-my-cop-readers

Written by Greg Ellifritz

This week, a Minnesota jury acquitted officer Jeronimo Yanez in the shooting death of motorist Philando Castile.  This was a controversial police shooting that probably didn’t have to happen.  I would encourage all of you to watch the recently released dash cam footage of the shooting if you have not done so.  Watch the whole incident.  It’s tragic.

My take on the shooting is that both the officer and the motorist made some mistakes.  Having researched the case, I don’t believe that Philando Castile was actually reaching for his concealed carry pistol.  He did, however, tell the officer he was armed and make a hand movement consistent with drawing a concealed firearm.  Those of you with CCW permits should know to be extra careful and avoid making any motions that a poorly-trained officer could construe as being threatening.  Mr. Castile, failed to exercise this type of caution and was shot by the cop as a result.  He made a mistake, but in my mind that mistake should not carry a death penalty as the consequence.

he bigger mistake, in my opinion, was made by Officer Yanez.  He appeared to panic when confronted by the fact that the driver he stopped was armed and didn’t seem to be paying proper attention to his verbal commands.  He probably didn’t need to shoot Mr. Castile, but I feel reasonably certain that the officer felt that he had no other option.  That is the predictable result of poor training, possibly combined with poor hiring practices on the part of Officer Yanez’ agency.  People prone to panic should not be hired as cops.  All cops should be given quality force on force training so that they know how to handle incidents like this without reflexively firing their weapons in abject fear.  Unfortunately, both problems are likely to persist in the face of ever-shrinking government budgets.

What can you and I do to prevent innocent folks from being killed by poorly trained cops?  It’s a difficult problem to solve.  I have a couple words of advice for my readers who are CCW carriers and even more advice for my cop readers to follow.

First, if you are lawfully armed and encounter a cop, you should follow your state’s laws with regards to notification.  Some states require that you notify the cop you are carrying and some don’t.  Make sure you state your notification calmly.  In all honesty, Mr. Castile’s notification to Officer Yanez was virtually textbook.

When you make this notification, your hands should be visible on the steering wheel and you should not be moving at all.  Don’t try to get your wallet out or reach into your glove compartment for your insurance card.  Remain perfectly still!  Listen to what the officer tells you to do and obey his commands.  If there is any doubt at all what the cop wants you to do, simply freeze.  Don’t move at all until you are sure what the cop wants you to do.  Always err on the side of remaining motionless rather than doing something when there is any doubt about the cop’s commands.

It’s sad, but it’s probably safest for the armed citizen to assume that the cop will be poorly trained and might get scared at your notification.  Do everything possible to keep things calm and avoid making any potentially threatening motions or statements.  There’s no guarantee that this will keep you safe, but it’s the best advice I can provide.

For my police readers, how would you like to be in Officer Yanez’ shoes right now?  Clearly, he is better off than Mr. Castile because he is still alive, but his career and life are ruined.  You don’t want to kill an innocent citizen.  You also don’t want to go to jail, lose a lawsuit, or get fired.  The onus is on YOU to prevent these things from happening.  It isn’t your agency’s job to keep you alive, out of jail, and employed.  Your agency will neglect to give you the training you need and fire you in a heartbeat when you screw anything up.  It’s YOUR job to keep yourself out of the trick bag.

Pretty much where I'm at on this (except stated a helluva lot better than I can)...

Talking to bus police readers:

The onus is on YOU to prevent these things from happening

And yet somehow Castile shares blame in his execution let y'all tell it. 

But in actuality, the onus isn't on the police, because there is no negative action that comes with them killing us. So why stop it? 

5 hours ago, Grrrillapmpn Inc.® said:

Talking to bus police readers:

And yet somehow Castile shares blame in his execution let y'all tell it. 

But in actuality, the onus isn't on the police, because there is no negative action that comes with them killing us. So why stop it? 

You can't just compare Castile to just anybody off the street.  Castile had a CWP.  That puts him in a very different class in terms of responsibility.  Cappy's article mentions that.  

12 minutes ago, kicker said:

You can't just compare Castile to just anybody off the street.  Castile had a CWP.  That puts him in a very different class in terms of responsibility.  Cappy's article mentions that.  

Let's be real here...the suspect reasons for Castile being stopped in the first place (having a wide nose) and getting shot (because had a firearm and was supposedly smelling of marijuana in the presence of a child) negates all the advice the article was attempting to give, especially if the officer was poorly trained.

Bunchy Carter likes this