Butcher of Bankhead

Cops Senselessly Kill Another American Citizen

2,735 posts in this topic

On 5/18/2017 at 0:19 PM, kicker said:

I said it.  She was charged.  A jury of 9 white and 3 black people acquited her.  I'm not sure what else you want?  They had all the evidence.  

Also, I'd hardly say Michael Slager "walked."  He is still sitting in prison and will be there for another ~10 years from what I've read.  

Remember when you said the NRA would lose credibility if Castillo ended up having a permit and they remained silent……

lostone likes this

15 minutes ago, mfaulk57158 said:

Cops can now also shoot people for legally carrying firearms.  After being exposed as a liar dude still walked.  Again, prosecution of cops has to be moved from their own districts.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/minnesota-officer-acquitted-in-shooting-of-black-motorist/ar-BBCKuZX?li=BBnb7Kz

He said he clearly saw a gun and that Castile ignored his commands to stop pulling it out of his pocket. His voice choked with emotion as he talked of being "scared to death" and thinking of his wife and baby daughter in the split-second before he fired.

Sure

1 hour ago, mfaulk57158 said:

Remember when you said the NRA would lose credibility if Castillo ended up having a permit and they remained silent……

Just curious, is the NRA supposed to come out against an officer lawfully (like it or not that's what the jury determined) shooting Castile?  The situation sucks but at this point it's silly to ***** at me about the NRA.  Frankly it sounds like a cop too soon to shoot and really poor identification of his firearm from Castile.  Neither should have ended his life, but that's what happened.  

On 7/7/2016 at 5:18 PM, kicker said:

I will dump my NRA lifetime membership if they don't address this one.  If what we know so far holds to be true, that Castile informed the cop that he was carrying and that he was licensed to carry, and was shot while reaching for the permit the cop asked him to reach for, this is exactly what the NRA should be protecting.  And if they can't, well ****em.  

Are you dumping your membership?

On 7/7/2016 at 9:38 AM, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

I watched this one go down live on Facebook last night and this was truly horrible. He supposedly told the officer that he was carrying a gun and had a permit, was then asked to produce his ID and the officer shot him dead as he reached for his wallet. All while sitting next to his girlfriend and a baby in the back seat. 

If he was licensed to carry, I wonder if we will hear anything from the NRA about a citizen with a legal right to carry being gunned down for no reason. Somehow, I think they are going to remain silent on this subject. 

On 7/7/2016 at 9:45 AM, kicker said:

I'm willing to bet the NRA jumps on this quickly.  They are very consistent in their support of gun owners rights.  They don't even want to restrict people on the "no fly" list or FBI's watch list from buying a gun, which is a disproportionate makeup of minorities.

On 7/7/2016 at 10:46 AM, silentbob1272 said:

I saw this this morning, and I agree, the man apparently even told the cop he was reaching for his id, he also immediately disclosed that he had a gun and a cc permit for it. I did not see the video, but heard the audio, the way his wife was able to remain so calm and poised was remarkable, 

If this officer walks, I'll agree that it is a travesty, but I don't think there is any chance this guy walks

On 7/7/2016 at 0:33 PM, slamee101 said:

"Paging the NRA!  Paging the NRA!"

Still nothing...hmm.

Certain this cop is going down huh? Lol

On 7/7/2016 at 3:33 PM, GEORGIAfan said:

On 7/7/2016 at 3:46 PM, SpongeDad said:

They probably are saying "no comment" for the moment so they can make a plan to strengthen their cause. The NRA isn't about race, they're about not taking our guns as law abiding citizens.

On 7/7/2016 at 3:50 PM, GEORGIAfan said:

doesnt look like it. 

Of course the cop walked and of course the NRA didn't make a statement.  The only people who thought the cop was not gonna walk or the NRA would speak up are disillusioned.  America's law enforcement regularly oppresses minority's, and gets away with.  

Bunchy Carter and slamee101 like this

10 minutes ago, mfaulk57158 said:

Are you dumping your membership?

The NRA addressed the shooting 2 days after my post.  It wasn't as forceful as I would have liked, but they did address it.  

No, I'm not cancelling it.   

8 minutes ago, kicker said:

The NRA addressed the shooting 2 days after my post.  It wasn't as forceful as I would have liked, but they did address it.  

No, I'm not cancelling it.   

Is the following statement the one you are referring to?

"

As the nation’s largest and oldest civil rights organization, the NRA proudly supports the right of law-abiding Americans to carry firearms for defense of themselves and others regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation.
The reports from Minnesota are troubling and must be thoroughly investigated. In the meantime, it is important for the NRA not to comment while the investigation is ongoing.
Rest assured, the NRA will have more to say once all the facts are known.
"

Just now, mfaulk57158 said:

Is the following statement the one you are referring to?

"

As the nation’s largest and oldest civil rights organization, the NRA proudly supports the right of law-abiding Americans to carry firearms for defense of themselves and others regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation.
The reports from Minnesota are troubling and must be thoroughly investigated. In the meantime, it is important for the NRA not to comment while the investigation is ongoing.
Rest assured, the NRA will have more to say once all the facts are known.
"

Yes.  

Please help me understand your opinion on this issue.  You are satisfied with just this statement after a licensed gun holder was shot.  The officer clearly overreacted and shot this guy who posed no threat.  What good is the NRA if it does not actively take part in cases such as this?  I want to emphasize that the statement above is not being active AT ALL.

6 minutes ago, mfaulk57158 said:

Please help me understand your opinion on this issue.  You are satisfied with just this statement after a licensed gun holder was shot.  The officer clearly overreacted and shot this guy who posed no threat.  What good is the NRA if it does not actively take part in cases such as this?  I want to emphasize that the statement above is not being active AT ALL.

The NRA is irrelevant at this point.  They aren't going to help Castile and they aren't going to convict the officer.  

1.  My opinion is that Cops have too much legal latitude in determining what a threat is.  2.  My opinion is also that if you're armed and a cop walks up to you, you put your hands where visible and tell the cop you have a gun on your person and where, even prior to handing over your CWP, knowing that #1 is the case.  

WhenFalconsWin and JDaveG like this

42 minutes ago, kicker said:

The NRA is irrelevant at this point.  They aren't going to help Castile and they aren't going to convict the officer.  

1.  My opinion is that Cops have too much legal latitude in determining what a threat is.  2.  My opinion is also that if you're armed and a cop walks up to you, you put your hands where visible and tell the cop you have a gun on your person and where, even prior to handing over your CWP, knowing that #1 is the case.  

Shouldn't the NRA at least come out with a statement explaining where they think things went wrong in this instance and how to avoid them in the future? Kind of seems odd that they haven't honestly.

1 minute ago, Jpowers said:

Shouldn't the NRA at least come out with a statement explaining where they think things went wrong in this instance and how to avoid them in the future? Kind of seems odd that they haven't honestly.

The NRA knows on which side their political bread is buttered and it's most certainly not on the darker side.

slamee101 and Bunchy Carter like this

1 hour ago, kicker said:

1.  Lobbying is what the NRA does best.  How are they irrelevant when they can pressure politicians AND law enforcement to restrict latitude or increase training.

2.  Every account I've read stated Castile did exactly as you stated.

If the NRA does not exist to protect law abiding gun owners, what is their purpose?  

10 hours ago, Jpowers said:

That's a no win scenario for the NRA and you know it.  The extremes are either the cop was twitchy and shot Castile, or Castile didn't follow protocol and got himself killed.  It's likely somewhere in the middle which is exactly what the NRA wants to avoid.  Gun owners and police are two of the biggest NRA and second amendment allies.  

10 hours ago, mfaulk57158 said:

1.  Lobbying is what the NRA does best.  How are they irrelevant when they can pressure politicians AND law enforcement to restrict latitude or increase training.

2.  Every account I've read stated Castile did exactly as you stated.

If the NRA does not exist to protect law abiding gun owners, what is their purpose?  

1.The NRA isn't going to pressure politicians to address use of force by law enforcement.  The NRA cares about the second amendment.  That's basically all they care about.  

2.  Castile was carrying his gun in his pocket.  That's a pretty terrible place to carry for a lot of reasons.  The only place I can think of that would be worse is stuffed in his underwear.  I'm not saying that is a reason to shoot him, but I will tell you, concealed carry permit holders have a higher duty to manage their firearms than the guy that keeps his gun locked up at home.  I am not victim blaming here.  I think there was a shared responsibility in this scenario and clearly the officer didn't have to accept any of that responsibility, and that's a problem.  

3 hours ago, kicker said:

1.The NRA isn't going to pressure politicians to address use of force by law enforcement.  The NRA cares about the second amendment.  That's basically all they care about.  

2.  Castile was carrying his gun in his pocket.  That's a pretty terrible place to carry for a lot of reasons.  The only place I can think of that would be worse is stuffed in his underwear.  I'm not saying that is a reason to shoot him, but I will tell you, concealed carry permit holders have a higher duty to manage their firearms than the guy that keeps his gun locked up at home.  I am not victim blaming here.  I think there was a shared responsibility in this scenario and clearly the officer didn't have to accept any of that responsibility, and that's a problem.  

1.  Do you think this incident will discourage or encourage black to excessive their second amendment rights?  

2.  You are definitely victim blaming here.  Castille was honest about having a gun, his only other option was to lie.  Do you think the cop shot him after seeing the gun?

6 hours ago, mfaulk57158 said:

1.  Do you think this incident will discourage or encourage black to excessive their second amendment rights?  

2.  You are definitely victim blaming here.  Castille was honest about having a gun, his only other option was to lie.  Do you think the cop shot him after seeing the gun?

1.  No clue.  

2.  That wasn't his only other option.  He could have informed the officer where the gun was and the proximity of it to the officer, or had the officer disarm him first which is really always the best option.  All that said, from what I've read, nothing that he did deserved the response from the cop.  

2 hours ago, kicker said:

1.  No clue.  

2.  That wasn't his only other option.  He could have informed the officer where the gun was and the proximity of it to the officer, or had the officer disarm him first which is really always the best option.  All that said, from what I've read, nothing that he did deserved the response from the cop.  

It wouldn't have mattered simply from the fact that cop was jumpy just from stopping him with a broken taillight. 

A black man with a legal-carry gun was perceived as a threat to him.

20 minutes ago, Statick said:

It wouldn't have mattered simply from the fact that cop was jumpy just from stopping him with a broken taillight. 

A black man with a legal-carry gun was perceived as a threat to him.

Maybe that's correct.  It certainly isn't a given though.  

Just now, kicker said:

Maybe that's correct.  It certainly isn't a given though.  

At this point, we're all speaking hypothetically here.