Butcher of Bankhead

Cops Senselessly Kill Another American Citizen

1,676 posts in this topic

when are we gonna stop this dumbshit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBPbxgLY0Js

A New York resident died Thursday after police officers put the man, who was asthmatic, in a chokehold before apparently slamming his head on the ground.

The New York Daily News obtained exclusive video of the incident, which shows Staten Island man Eric Garner, 43, begging officers to let him breathe as he lies on the ground helpless.

Now, his family is demanding accountability from the NYPD.

Police said Garner, who was a married father of six children, died of a heart attackduring the arrest, according to The Associated Press. The NYPD said Garner had been seen selling untaxed cigarettes, and that he had been arrested before for the same offense.

In the video, Garner denied the allegations and asked a plainclothes officer why he was stopped.

“Every time you see me you want to mess with me," Garner told cops in the video. "I’m tired of it. It stops today!”

When Garner refused to put his hands behind his back, and asked one officer not to touch him, two others moved in to make the arrest.

Video shows at least one officer putting Garner in a chokehold and slamming him on the ground.

Garner can be heard screaming "I can't breathe, I can't breathe!" before going quiet.

Multiple witnesses to the death expressed anger at the NYPD.

“They jumped him and they were choking him. He was foaming at the mouth,” 22-year-old Ramsey Orta, who took the video, told The Daily News. “And that’s it, he was done. The cops were saying, ‘No, he’s OK, he’s OK.' He wasn’t OK.”

Another witness said Garner was "absolutely not selling cigarettes," Staten Island Live reported.

Those who knew Garner described him as a "gentle giant" and "a big teddy bear," according to the publication. His family members, including his wife Esaw Garner, said her husband suffered from chronic asthma.

Police told The AP that an investigation into his death is ongoing. The NYPD said Garner "took a fighting stance" and "absolutely resisted arrest."

At a memorial for Garner Thursday night, family members, friends and supporters asked for justice.

"Is this cop still going to be on the force?" one woman asked SI Live. "Is this cop still going to be able to do this to somebody else?"

Community residents are attempting to organize a march on Friday.

Edited by Butcher of Bankhead

I feel bad that the guy died but why did he resist when they put the cuffs on him? Of course, the police are going to get him on the ground and cuff him anyway. That's what they are supposed to do. They didn't punch him, kick him or do anything abusive. It is sad he died but he should have kept quiet and simply asked to leave and if denied ask if he was being put under arrest and what charge. From there, let a lawyer handle it. When you get all animated and put up a fight swinging arms, you've created your own problem. Some of the descriptives in that article simply don't match the video.

Notice at the beginning the two officers are just standing there, not confrontational at all. No raised voices at all except for Garner's voice. When the cops decide to make an arrest, he doesn't get to say "don't touch me, don't touch me". They are going to cuff you whether you want them to or not, whether you believe it's justified or not. When you resist, that "chokehold" is a textbook maneuver as it quickly subdues an agitated suspect. Again, it's extremely sad that he died but to try to blame the officers for this one is just incorrect...

sdogg and EightyEight like this

Lol he wasn't swinging his arms in a fighting manner. He is one of those people that talks with his hands. Meaning he uses his hands and arms as a way to express himself. He didn't once take a fighting position. But people have to be smarter. Cops will always get the last word

Lol he wasn't swinging his arms in a fighting manner. He is one of those people that talks with his hands. Meaning he uses his hands and arms as a way to express himself. He didn't once take a fighting position. But people have to be smarter. Cops will always get the last word

I didn't say he swung them in a fighting manner, I said he was animated and swinging his arms. Yes, he was talking with his hands, that's what I took from it and the officers did too. They didn't go on any offensive until he resisted being cuffed and regardless of whether or not we agree with their reason a person doesn't have a right to resist being cuffed. You know I've been outspoken on cops time and time again so it's kind of awkward to be defending them...lol

I didn't say he swung them in a fighting manner, I said he was animated and swinging his arms. Yes, he was talking with his hands, that's what I took from it and the officers did too. They didn't go on any offensive until he resisted being cuffed and regardless of whether or not we agree with their reason a person doesn't have a right to resist being cuffed. You know I've been outspoken on cops time and time again so it's kind of awkward to be defending them...lol

well I agree he shouldn't have resisted.
capologist likes this

The video has been taken down. Imagine that. Cops murder a guy on film and the film disappears.

Overexcited fat dude having a heart attack doesn't equate to murder...

Flip Flop likes this

The guy shouldnt have resisted but there is a lot of ground between wrestling someone to cuff them and choking someone to death. At best it was excessive force used by the cops. At worse it was murder

The guy shouldnt have resisted but there is a lot of ground between wrestling someone to cuff them and choking someone to death. At best it was excessive force used by the cops. At worse it was murder

Except he wasn't choked to death--he had a heart attack. The guy released the "choke hold" once the guy was on the ground and then held his head in place against the ground (which is what cops are instructed to do in a resist incident). I could understand the outrage if they punched, kicked him, tazed him repeatedly or any of those things but they simply took him to the ground and cuffed him. I can't see blaming people for doing what they are instructed to do. What else could they have done to arrest him? They weren't aggressive at all towards him until he resisted and then they did a bare minimum. Let's be honest, one of those little dudes wasn't going to take down a 400 lb giant of man without some assistance..

EightyEight and sdogg like this

Except he wasn't choked to death--he had a heart attack. The guy released the "choke hold" once the guy was on the ground and then held his head in place against the ground (which is what cops are instructed to do in a resist incident). I could understand the outrage if they punched, kicked him, tazed him repeatedly or any of those things but they simply took him to the ground and cuffed him. I can't see blaming people for doing what they are instructed to do. What else could they have done to arrest him? They weren't aggressive at all towards him until he resisted and then they did a bare minimum. Let's be honest, one of those little dudes wasn't going to take down a 400 lb giant of man without some assistance..

Id have to see the video to say for sure I guess but in my head if the dude is foaming from the mouth its probably time to get off of him

Id have to see the video to say for sure I guess but in my head if the dude is foaming from the mouth its probably time to get off of him

The video doesn't show the foaming at the mouth described by the witness but the guy was still talking when they released the choke hold so I'm finding it hard to believe he was foaming at the mouth simultaneously. The first thing I always do in these kinds of instances is ask what could they have reasonably done differently and I can't think of a single thing that could be done differently as it was all textbook. I honestly expected to see them wailing away on him but not a single punch is thrown, just a tackle and subduing to cuff. No yelling and screaming at the guy at all. I feel bad that the guy died but I also think it's wrong to blame people who actually did their job correctly, ya know?

sdogg likes this

Can't see the video, was he choked and head slammed after he was cuffed?

No, they released the "choke" (I use quotes because one can be held around the neck without actually cutting off air supply) once he was on the ground. No head slam at all, just pinned his head in place so he couldn't move...

Overexcited fat dude having a heart attack doesn't equate to murder...

Maybe not murder, but definitely excessive force. You don't have to choke an individual to subdue him/her. Then again, maybe I'm a little hypersensitive because of recent events.

If you watch the video, there's no way to see the guy is foaming at the mouth. He was still talking saying he can't breathe after the cop released the choke, and the cop that was choking him was on his back until they could get him down. The dude was about 400lbs, and the cops struggled to get him down on the ground. Honestly, when I first started watching the video, I thought the cop sounded weak and scared, more whiny than authoritative. It was a different cop that came along and took him down.

All in all, the guy wasn't complying with police. The whiny cop said he saw him sell a pack of cigarettes to somebody else and they did try to tell him he was under arrest. When they tried to cuff him, the guy pulled his arm away from the cop saying don't touch me, which is when the cop put the choke on him. The cop had the choke hold on him for a total of 13 seconds. Once he was down, he released the choke and was holding his face against the ground. In my opinion, this was not police brutality or excessive use of force. It's sad that the dude died over something so petty, but I can't blame the cops on this one. If I was a cop and I had to arrest a 400lb man, I don't see what else the cop could've done once he snatched his arm away when they tried to cuff him.

The link is down due to copyright infringement. It's up on the news website. Link.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/staten-island-man-dies-puts-choke-hold-article-1.1871486

capologist and sdogg like this

Maybe not murder, but definitely excessive force. You don't have to choke an individual to subdue him/her. Then again, maybe I'm a little hypersensitive because of recent events.

How else could they subdue a 400 lb giant of a man? I'd agree with you if we were talking about a far smaller person but that's not the case. I don't blame anyone for being hypersensitive because most of the publicized instances are legit brutality cases and there are certainly enough negative police acts to justify it..

Cops should be able diagnose medical and psychiatric conditions on the spot.

Look, I'm not blaming the victim. It seems like it was very unfortunate. The officers certainly didn't mean to kill anyone.

How else could they subdue a 400 lb giant of a man? I'd agree with you if we were talking about a far smaller person but that's not the case. I don't blame anyone for being hypersensitive because most of the publicized instances are legit brutality cases and there are certainly enough negative police acts to justify it..

Yeah. Was definitely talking out of my rear end. My bad.

Because of the danger they can pose, chokeholds are forbidden by the Patrol Guide, a voluminous book that contains rules for officers. “Members of the New York City Police Department will NOT use chokeholds,” the Patrol Guide states, defining chokeholds as any maneuver that places “pressure to the throat or windpipe, which may prevent or hinder breathing or reduce intake of air.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/19/nyregion/staten-island-man-dies-after-he-is-put-in-chokehold-during-arrest.html?ref=nyregion

The first thing I always do in these kinds of instances is ask what could they have reasonably done differently and I can't think of a single thing that could be done differently as it was all textbook.

No, it wasn't. You should spend more time reading and less time showering others with ignorance.

Bunchy Carter likes this

No, it wasn't. You should spend more time reading and less time showering others with ignorance.

Excuse me for going by what I know from having a detective of 16 years in the family. Each state is different but I'm sure in a banned previous life here, you already knew that. All that said, I still see nothing wrong with their actions...

Excuse me for going by what I know from having a detective of 16 years in the family. Each state is different but I'm sure in a banned previous life here, you already knew that. All that said, I still see nothing wrong with their actions...

So you think being related to a detective makes you an authority on this subject, so much so that you are comfortable dismissing the rule of law? Am I supposed to be laughing, because I am.

Also, you see nothing wrong police using a technique that is strictly prohibited to apprehend a suspect, even in an instance where the suspect was killed? Good god.....

Bunchy Carter likes this

Because of the danger they can pose, chokeholds are forbidden by the Patrol Guide, a voluminous book that contains rules for officers. “Members of the New York City Police Department will NOT use chokeholds,” the Patrol Guide states, defining chokeholds as any maneuver that places “pressure to the throat or windpipe, which may prevent or hinder breathing or reduce intake of air.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/19/nyregion/staten-island-man-dies-after-he-is-put-in-chokehold-during-arrest.html?ref=nyregion

That was our fault for calling it a chokehold. It's actually called a carotid hold. You cannot cut off a person's breathing. The carotid hold applies pressure to the arteries to slow blood flow, it does not restrict breathing in any way. It's also called a sleeper hold because the restriction of blood flow could cause the person to pass out. And the guy was talking, not gagging or gasping for air, so the hold used does not fall under the guidelines of the law you quoted. Carotid holds are restricted, but they are permitted when resisting arrest in close range where other nonlethal methods are not practical (taser for instance).

EightyEight and capologist like this