Thomas Dimitroff Is A Known, Proven Factor.

Guest MikeKennHOF

Guest MikeKennHOF

TD has proven two things.

1) He is average or better at drafting obvious draft picks: i.e. talent in rounds 1-3.

2) He is a failure of colossal proportions in drafting players that need more critical, more discerning evaluation: i.e. rounds 4-7.

I also believe Smitty & Co. deserve equal blame for not managing to develop a single one of the players from rounds 4-7 between '08 and '13.

That inability to draft cheap late-round solid and effective contributors--- that failure to develop late-round projects into inexpensive starting caliber talent, has left this team paper thin, and lacking the overall talent to truly compete for a championship.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MikeKennHOF

I have no idea why this thread spam-posted. Mods, please feel free to delete the others. I apologize for whatever caused this.

Guest MikeKennHOF

He's a draft genius compared to his prowess in FA

Like any and every GM he has had some misses. But he has had some spectacular successes as well in free agency. Tony G and Michael Turner make up for a lot of Dunta Robinsons.

Like any and every GM he has had some misses. But he has had some spectacular successes as well in free agency. Tony G and Michael Turner make up for a lot of Dunta Robinsons.

We traded for TG and one Turner doesn't make up for all the other failures. Percentage wise, he's around .500 drafting, but doesn't touch the Mendoza line in FA

do these count :

Foxworth

Coleman

Asante

Lofton

H.D

Beerman

T. DeCoud 4 years (ok)

TG

M. Peterson

J.Elam

M. Bryant

M.Koenen

W.Svitek

V.Walker

B.Williams

C.Peters

J.Hawley

M.Bosher

Qizz

Mass (this year he beast)

R.McClain

C. Mathews

S.Jackson

Osi

Bartu

Trufant

Alford

D.DAVIS LOL

D. Johnson

A.smith

Tolilolo

PAUL WAR

do these count :

Foxworth

Coleman

Asante

Lofton

H.D

Beerman

T. DeCoud 4 years (ok)

TG

M. Peterson

J.Elam

M. Bryant

M.Koenen

W.Svitek

V.Walker

B.Williams

C.Peters

J.Hawley

M.Bosher

Qizz

Mass (this year he beast)

R.McClain

C. Mathews

S.Jackson

Osi

Bartu

Trufant

Alford

D.DAVIS LOL

D. Johnson

A.smith

Tolilolo

PAUL WAR

No, they don't. In order for a draft pick to be of any value they must have made the probowl. Providing adequate depth, spot starts, etc. are useless, the roster is only made up of the 22 guys who start. And every team should have 22 pro bowlers on it.

TD has proven two things.

1) He is average or better at drafting obvious draft picks: i.e. talent in rounds 1-3.

2) He is a failure of colossal proportions in drafting players that need more critical, more discerning evaluation: i.e. rounds 4-7.

I also believe Smitty & Co. deserve equal blame for not managing to develop a single one of the players from rounds 4-7 between '08 and '13.

That inability to draft cheap late-round solid and effective contributors--- that failure to develop late-round projects into inexpensive starting caliber talent, has left this team paper thin, and lacking the overall talent to truly compete for a championship.

Balderdash .....

While TD's moves are far from perfect, he has won executive of the year twice (2008/2010) per sporting news, which is voted on my coaches and gm's. I am not trying to use that as an end all be all to silence criticism of TD, but the people who claim he is a bum and has been a net negative on this team need to get a grip.

Has he made mistakes? Sure, some high profile ones too. But on the aggregate, he is respected by those in the business, and has built a team that has 5 winning seasons out of 6.

Guest MikeKennHOF

If we don't even have adequate starters at many key positions (talking '08-'13 since '14 is still an unproven commoddity), then it stands to reason that the depth behind them is even more inadequate.

Both lines were, by the organization's own admission, atrocious.

LB has long been a weakness in this regime.

Backup QB's have been laughably horrendous. I thank God fof Matt Ryan's toughness and durability.

The WR's behind JJ and Roddy are pedestrian at best (HD), and woefully inadequate otherwise.

When DeCoud is your starting FS, you DON'T HAVE a FS, let alone depth at the position.

If we don't even have adequate starters at many key positions (talking '08-'13 since '14 is still an unproven commoddity), then it stands to reason that the depth behind them is even more inadequate.

Backup QB's have been laughably horrendous. I thank God fof Matt Ryan's toughness and durability.

The WR's behind JJ and Roddy are pedestrian at best (HD), and woefully inadequate otherwise.

When DeCoud is your starting FS, you DON'T HAVE a FS, let alone depth at the position.

Well 08-12 the smoke and mirrors did ok, you think???

Guest MikeKennHOF

While TD's moves are far from perfect, he has won executive of the year twice (2008/2010) per sporting news, which is voted on my coaches and gm's. I am not trying to use that as an end all be all to silence criticism of TD, but the people who claim he is a bum and has been a net negative on this team need to get a grip.

Has he made mistakes? Sure, some high profile ones too. But on the aggregate, he is respected by those in the business, and has built a team that has 5 winning seasons out of 6.

Nonr of which disproves my premise: he has been a 100%, without exception failure in rounds 4-7. He has been average or better in rounds 1-3 and free agency. But rounds 4-7 is where real championship teams are built.

Most of us could do as well in rounds 1-3. Those rounds the picks are often pretty obvious. I do credit TD fof making the Ryan pick over Dorsey: not a slam dunk decision at the time, but it sure is now.

But the others? JA98 over any number of actual football players? Panicking and trading up for Sackmaker? Like I said, average or better in 1-3, but not exactly historic, either. And there are any number of posters with provable records of pre-draft picks that would be as good as or better than TD's.

Guest MikeKennHOF

Well 08-12 the smoke and mirrors did ok, you think???

Yes: they did ok. One, and only one playoff win in that span is certainly no better than merely "ok".

Look, we get it, your hindsight is perfect.

I think many peoples criticism of TD, mine included, is that he built the team from the outside in, and only addressed the lines recently. Too much belief that scheme could overcome deficient talent. All of our linemen were jacks, not an Ace in the bunch. TD took big steps to fix that this year, basically completely building what could be a very good D line with 2 FA picks and a 2nd round draft pick. Combine that with Asamoah and Mathews on the O line and hopefully all these skill guys TD has put on this roster will be able to shine.

I also wouldn't say LB was a weakness, just that it wasn't really a strength. I have always felt that the LB corps were adequate but not flashy. Not every position can be loaded with probowlers.

Some of you expect too much. I mean you want starter quality backup QB's and 3/4 WR's just because you see a couple other teams have them? Its a give and take and there is a salary cap. No team is perfect.

Even as bad as the lines were, and as allegedly poorly as this team was built, it was averaging 10-11 wins a year before last years injury plagued meltdown. What does that say about the regime?

Nonr of which disproves my premise: he has been a 100%, without exception failure in rounds 4-7. He has been average or better in rounds 1-3 and free agency. But rounds 4-7 is where real championship teams are built.

Most of us could do as well in rounds 1-3. Those rounds the picks are often pretty obvious. I do credit TD fof making the Ryan pick over Dorsey: not a slam dunk decision at the time, but it sure is now.

But the others? JA98 over any number of actual football players? Panicking and trading up for Sackmaker? Like I said, average or better in 1-3, but not exactly historic, either. And there are any number of posters with provable records of pre-draft picks that would be as good as or better than TD's.

Biermann, Walker, Reynolds. Hawley, Bosher have all contributed to the success of this team in one way or another. You are completely wrong with your first sentence.

Your 3rd sentence really underscores your whole problem. You really think you could do better. I'm not even going to address that when you can't get your facts right as evidenced in your last paragraph: JA98 was a McKay pick. Thanks for playing, but if you want to rage on TD, get your facts right...

Biermann, Walker, Reynolds. Hawley, Bosher have all contributed to the success of this team in one way or another. You are completely wrong with your first sentence.

Your 3rd sentence really underscores your whole problem. You really think you could do better. I'm not even going to address that when you can't get your facts right as evidenced in your last paragraph: JA98 was a McKay pick. Thanks for playing, but if you want to rage on TD, get your facts right...

laugh.png

I just hate it when you sugar coat it like that! Tell the man how you really feel!

A lot and I mean a LOT of TD's reputation as being good were because of his two moves in Ryan and Turner. He's been extremely mediocre outside of those moves his first offseason, but the team was carried by Ryan and Turner until last year

outside of his 1st year #6 pk we have been pk in the 20's to 30 1st rd but does it matter how our roster is build as long as we have a winning program, no Gm , again NO GM, doesn't miss in the draft so show me one GM over a 4 year period that hasn't missed more than he got right???