Why Did We Trade Noguera If Our Only Moves Were Going To Be Seflosha & Bazemore?

g-dawg

I'm a big believer and not signing "non-stars" to big contracts. Having said that, I don't really understand basically giving Noguera away to clear cap space if we were not going to sign a big-name free agent. I realize the Hawks tried to sign Leol Deng but Hawks had to figure there was at least a 50/50 shot he would go somewhere else.

Maybe Noguera will never amount to anything but seems like he was too promising to just "give away" - which is what we did.

thoughts?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been a very weird offseason. To be honest I'm glad Ferry didn't overpay for players not named Melo or Lebron. I'd rather wait and have another shot at elite talent than overpay for role players, which has happened this free agency. If anythimg, it gives us extra cap space for when we do make moves down the road

This has been a very weird offseason. To be honest I'm glad Ferry didn't overpay for players not named Melo or Lebron. I'd rather wait and have another shot at elite talent than overpay for role players, which has happened this free agency. If anythimg, it gives us extra cap space for when we do make moves down the road

Said every hawks fan for 3 years lol

Nogs was a waste and there is no way around it. It is my biggest concern with Ferry. For lack of a better word, his drafting(also in Cleveland) is pretty ****-ty. Jenkins an Nogs look like busts. Thats 2 out of 4 first round picks.

I think the Hawks liked Edy better, which is fine, but it still makes you look like a complete idiot for taking a player that wasn't even worth developing longer than a year.

Ferry has shown the inability to be able to convince FAs that the Hawks are a good destination(Another problem I have with him, Gasol AND Deng took less not to have to play here. Gasol WAY less). But if you accept the fact that were just the hawks, well then, you're going to need to be able to draft well. Ferry hasnt shown that skill. In all of his years drafting I can only think of a handful of players that are even quality NBA players. JJ Hickson being his shining jewel....

The Braves are consistently good because they can draft with the best of them. The Hawks need to learn this principle.

True lol....but be honest, you would have been upset if we were paying someone like a Jordan Hill more the 8 million per year.

Hill, yes.

Gasol for 11? Absolutely not.

Deng, Ariza, Pierce. Thats 4 options we could have improved the team with.

We're slightly better. But not much.

Is the difference between Lou and Thabo really enough to make a difference?

Hill, yes.

Gasol for 11? Absolutely not.

Deng, Ariza, Pierce. Thats 4 options we could have improved the team with.

We're slightly better. But not much.

Is the difference between Lou and Thabo really enough to make a difference?

To be honest it's hard to say what this team can do. We haven't even seen the team together as a whole yet. Well for at least an entire season.

Its not hard to say. I can say it right now. We're not a title contender. There is no way this team is beating a team from the west and there's like a 2% chance we beat the Cavs lol.

A team similarly built to the hawks has never won anything. I can't imagine us breaking the mold of an entire history of basketball games.

Its not hard to say. I can say it right now. We're not a title contender. There is no way this team is beating a team from the west and there's like a 2% chance we beat the Cavs lol.

A team similarly built to the hawks has never won anything. I can't imagine us breaking the mold of an entire history of basketball games.

Maybe not championship caliber, But I've just never been one to call something set in stone. In sports weirder things have happened. So with that being said, we won't know anything until they hit the court. Not saying you are wrong WOR, just.my point of view

Maybe not championship caliber, But I've just never been one to call something set in stone. In sports weirder things have happened. So with that being said, we won't know anything until they hit the court. Not saying you are wrong WOR, just.my point of view

Yeah. Remember, this team wasn't even tabbed to make the playoffs last season, and they darn near made it to the second round without it's marquee player in Al Horford. I'd rather wait and see what this team is capable of when fully healthy, and then proceed to add pieces.

I absolutely agree with you in every other sport.

Basketball is a TOTALLY different ballgame though. Your conference finals last year were SA vs OKC, and Indy vs. Miami. Is that a surprise?

There aren't surprises in the NBA. Thats the only reason I can say something is "set in stone". Who was the last team to win a title who was not considered an extreme favorite to start the year?

Since 2000 The title winners are as follows:

Spurs

Heat

Heat

Mavs

Lakers

Lakers

Celtics

Spurs

Heat

Spurs

Pistons

Spurs

Lakers

Lakers

Lakers

Thats only 6 teams. All teams were "powerhouses" in that year.

I like halls optimism, and like I said, in every other sport it is warranted. Not in the NBA. There are no cinderella stories. Only power versus power. The Hawks just aren't a power. No way a Horford led team beats what they have in the West or Lebron. Im sorry to burst everyones bubble, but there is no such thing as wait and see in the NBA.

Basketball is a TOTALLY different ballgame though. Your conference finals last year were SA vs OKC, and Indy vs. Miami. Is that a surprise?

There aren't surprises in the NBA. Thats the only reason I can say something is "set in stone". Who was the last team to win a title who was not considered an extreme favorite to start the year?

Spurs

Heat

Heat

Mavs

Lakers

Lakers

Celtics

Spurs

Heat

Spurs

Pistons

Spurs

Lakers

Lakers

Lakers

I like halls optimism, and like I said, in every other sport it is warranted. Not in the NBA. There are no cinderella stories. Only power versus power. The Hawks just aren't a power. No way a Horford led team beats what they have in the West or Lebron. Im sorry to burst everyones bubble, but there is no such thing as wait and see in the NBA.

Well then you're just going to be a frustrated fan 27 out of 32 times (28 not counting the Pistons) if you're not a fan of the teams you just mentioned. I for one, do not need the added stress.

Edited by JerseyNo12

EC Champions since 2000(seed)

Heat(2nd) Big Three

Heat(1st)

Heat(2nd)

Heat(2nd)

Celtics(4th) Big Three

Magic(3rd) Howard and SVG

Celtics(1st) Big Three

Cavs(2nd) Lebron

Heat(2nd) Wade and Shaq

Pistons(2nd) Beast of the East

Pistons(3rd)

Nets(2nd) Jason Kidd and others

Nets(1st)

76ers(1st) AI

Pacers(1st) Mark Jackson, Reggie Miller, Jalen Rose

Spurs

Heat

Heat

Mavs

Lakers

Lakers

Celtics

Spurs

Heat

Spurs

Pistons

Spurs

Lakers

Lakers

Lakers

And again I'm not expecting them to be a Finals team this year, I mean along the lines of a ECF Finals(Which they wouldn't have a good shot a winning) is the most they could do at this point without it being too farfetched. All of those teams on that list have something that Atlanta doesn't really have right now.that allure of a winning team. Now how we get that point? To be determined.

Well then you're just going to be a frustrated fan 27 out of 32 times (28 not counting the Pistons) if you're not a fan of the teams you just mentioned. I for one, do not need the added stress.

If you're in it for a championship, yes there isn't much point. You have to watch for the love of basketball and the Hawks.

This is why the NBA, and specifically Atlanta have such a hard time with fans. Nobody wants to watch a "rigged" league that is all about money.

If you're in it for a championship, yes there isn't much point. You have to watch for the love of basketball and the Hawks.

This is why the NBA, and specifically Atlanta have such a hard time with fans. Nobody wants to watch a "rigged" league that is all about money.

Ferry needs to Find some blackmail photos of Silver or something...smh

And again I'm not expecting them to be a Finals team this year, I mean along the lines of a ECF Finals(Which they wouldn't have a good shot a winning) is the most they could do at this point without it being too farfetched. All of those teams on that list have something that Atlanta doesn't really have right now.that allure of a winning team. Now how we get that point? To be determined.

Im sorry, but being determined isn't going to get us there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Conference_Finals

Find me a team in the last 10 years of that list that didn't have a superstar or multiple second tier stars. It doesn't exist. Unless you're talking about the Pistons, and that is arguable. And they had one of the best defenders of the decade on their team.

Determination doesn't get you to the ECF. Talent does. The Hawks lack the talent necessary. Adding border line starters every year and hoping the system pays off isn't going to get us the ECF. I wish it would. Im not trying to bust anyones bubble, I just don't believe that all of the sudden the very fabric of the NBA is going to change.

We need more talent. Horford has the potential to be a second tier "top 5ish" PF but we have no one else with that kind of ability. Not to mention Horford can't be trusted on to even be that kind of go to guy until he proves he can stay healthy.

I agree WOR it's hard and freakin depressing, LOL but maybe the tide will turn soon for us Atlanta fans I hope, lol

Yes it sucks.

Part of it is the scarcity of talent. Part of it is money.

The Hawks potentially COULD get to the ECF but there is no way the NBA is letting them. Wed most likely play the Cavs or Bulls. You believe that series will be properly officiated? Heck naw. Thats half of the reason that the stars and super teams always get to the ECF. Ratings.

I'm a big believer and not signing "non-stars" to big contracts. Having said that, I don't really understand basically giving Noguera away to clear cap space if we were not going to sign a big-name free agent. I realize the Hawks tried to sign Leol Deng but Hawks had to figure there was at least a 50/50 shot he would go somewhere else.

Maybe Noguera will never amount to anything but seems like he was too promising to just "give away" - which is what we did.

thoughts?

It's a two edged sword really - if DF hadn't made the trade he wouldn't have been in the position to make the offers in the first place.

He took a gamble that somebody would want the money. Can't blame him for trying to be an active participant in the FA game.

It seems as if DF made the wrong pick (and that sucks) with Bebe - I would prefer he move on from him now as opposed to knowing he made the wrong pick and holding unto him.

Good riddance to Lou - Thabo is an upgrade.

Nogs was a waste and there is no way around it. It is my biggest concern with Ferry. For lack of a better word, his drafting(also in Cleveland) is pretty ****-ty. Jenkins an Nogs look like busts. Thats 2 out of 4 first round picks.

I think the Hawks liked Edy better, which is fine, but it still makes you look like a complete idiot for taking a player that wasn't even worth developing longer than a year.

Ferry has shown the inability to be able to convince FAs that the Hawks are a good destination(Another problem I have with him, Gasol AND Deng took less not to have to play here. Gasol WAY less). But if you accept the fact that were just the hawks, well then, you're going to need to be able to draft well. Ferry hasnt shown that skill. In all of his years drafting I can only think of a handful of players that are even quality NBA players. JJ Hickson being his shining jewel....

The Braves are consistently good because they can draft with the best of them. The Hawks need to learn this principle.

Blaming DF for free agents taking less money and going somewhere else is just finger pointing. It's not like they were flocking here before.

You can't change the last 15 years of missteps and having a bad reputation around the Association in 2 years. The reputation the Hawks have is well earned - it will take time to overcome that.

I do think having DF on board and now coach Bud is a step in the right direction.

The 1st round draft picks are a concern - maybe he should just stick to drafting 2nd rounders.

Edited by jayu70