Why Are The Saints Going Up To Greenbrier This Year?

Big Bubba

I actually have some family up there that are anxious to check out the Saints Training Camp.

They aren't Saint fans, but they only live like 10 minutes away from where this thing is happening at... so, they can't wait. If they send me any pictures, I'll post them.

I think the Saints are trying to get away from the South Louisiana heat and humidity and see if the cooler climate will help cut down on heat related injuries. Additionally, I just believe you can get more out of practicing without all the breaks needed when practicing in the heat. If this works out for the Saints, I can see this becoming a trend for other teams whose training camps are in locations where the Summer heat makes it hard to get productive practices in. The Saints will return home for its final two preseason games which will allow the team to get a taste of the heat for those early season games that may be outside in the elements. Just my Opinion

I think the Saints are trying to get away from the South Louisiana heat and humidity and see if the cooler climate will help cut down on heat related injuries. Additionally, I just believe you can get more out of practicing without all the breaks needed when practicing in the heat. If this works out for the Saints, I can see this becoming a trend for other teams whose training camps are in locations where the Summer heat makes it hard to get productive practices in. The Saints will return home for its final two preseason games which will allow the team to get a taste of the heat for those early season games that may be outside in the elements. Just my Opinion

That makes little sense, aside from the act that the Saints play in a dome. The heat and humidity is what most southern teams try to use to their advantage, and practicing in a cooler climate won't help at all to prepare for the extreme temps you get in Florida in Sept & Oct. and it's getting worse. There's gotta be some overriding reason to make them go through all the hassle of moving all their staff and training equipment.

That makes little sense, aside from the act that the Saints play in a dome. The heat and humidity is what most southern teams try to use to their advantage, and practicing in a cooler climate won't help at all to prepare for the extreme temps you get in Florida in Sept & Oct. and it's getting worse. There's gotta be some overriding reason to make them go through all the hassle of moving all their staff and training equipment.

I think DYJ got it right, last off season players were dropping like flies do to the Heat this time of year in Nola. I think SP is just trying to maximize what he can get out of TC, and he doesn't want heat related injuries occurring this off season. They Basically have 2 weeks to evaluate players in TC, minimizing injuries is key and as often as off season injuries occur I think it's a good idea to try to avoid these type of injuries. Also as long as these players have been practicing in Metairie I don't think they really need to prepare for down south heat and humidity. Edited by BayouBengalz

They play in a dome, but practice in the heat all week.

Florida ain't hotter than South Louisiana. They will be more than acclimated.

Didn't they used to train up in Wisconsin somewhere?

It was probably just a case of being offered the opportunity and then going for it.

Doubt that there really is any mystery here.

Most locations in the NFL dont have their own facility that is owned by the team,s o you really are being serviced by an outside vendor.

Think its just a case of an outside vendor offering a better deal than what was being offered in Metairie.

Dont overlook the simple economics of the situation... it is the driving force in most business decisions for anything they do.

After watching players drop like flies from cramps, pulls and other heat related injuries, their is no doubt that he's trying to see if the cooler climate will change the teams fortune. It's obvious you never trained, practiced and/or worked out in the heat because you'll clearly understand how it can effect a players health and the overall productivity of practice. The less breaks you take because of the heat and injuries the more practice you're able to get in and that's what Sean Payton is thinking about.

Edited by Doyourjob

Some of it is heat and humidity.

Some of it is to get the players away from any distractions from local media, family and etc.

Also true, I read somewhere that one of their intentions is to eliminate distractions from family, friends, and anything else by moving it to WV this year where it'll be all about football for 2 weeks.

Serious question since I'm new here. What is wrong with posting the car in TATF? I almost never lurk there (they are scary), but the car is benign. Is it because it doesn't have falcon on it somewhere?

TATF is very strange and uptight like that

stay at an exotic hotel in a less humid mountain climate

or sweat it out over shorter sessions in the heat of New Orleans with plenty of distractions

perfect opportunity to jell

and no cameras following your every move

Sometimes a change of scenery is what's needed to rejuvenate the mind and body.