What Are Mike Smith Strengths As A Head Coach ?

I'm a fan of Mike Smith. I don't believe he was the reason why Falcons have not won a championship but I believe he would be the next " fall guy" It's arguable he is the best coach Falcons ever had so I wanted to look into what's Mike Smith strengths as a coach and how they suit our team going forward

Strengths

Leadership qualities . Players seem to love playing for Smith and he has the ear of locker room.

Minimize mistakes - some of our fan base feels this is a conservative approach . I do not . Falcons been one of best teams in regards of minimizing turnovers and penalties

old school approach - Game is still won in the trenches and smash mouth football . Run and play defense. It's not his fault our GM has a different mindset

Passion - He is still a fiery competitor that does not like losing . You can tell by his face expressions and his press conferences he is passionate about game of football and this team. occasional fist bump

Mike Smith has been a excellent hire. I hate to see him be the fall guy for any mess the GM put Falcons in or even the owner. I understand football is a business and with 1 playoff win in 6 years clock is ticking but firing Smith would be a mistake without firing TD. If Smith is fired I understand cause it's bout results but you can't have TD pick the new head coach . It must be from a new GM and new perspective

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the strengths listed. Smitty's flaw is that he's not a great game day coach...making decisions on the fly.

He does a great job of squeezing out what talent we have on the roster by maximizing discipline and minimizing mistakes. Considering Smitty was

never the 1st choice...he's done a good job. I wasn't a fan of his early on...but he's won me over. Our regular season success for the most part

should be attributed to Smitty...we pull out the 50/50 games. In the p/o, we have been beaten by more talented teams over all.

Very organized and analytical. He emphasizes playing mistake free football and focuses on the little things that most coaches overlook. We broke the record for the least amount of penalties in a 16 game season because of his astute attention to detail. None of that sounds true after last year but I give him credit for not losing the team and holding us together.

Very organized and analytical. He emphasizes playing mistake free football and focuses on the little things that most coaches overlook. We broke the record for the least amount of penalties in a 16 game season because of his astute attention to detail. None of that sounds true after last year but I give him credit for not losing the team and holding us together.

+1

When you have to rely on a lot of young unpolished talent, penalties and mistakes will go up exponentially.

The only quitter last year was DeCoud IMHO and they cut out that cancer.

+1

When you have to rely on a lot of young unpolished talent, penalties and mistakes will go up exponentially.

The only quitter last year was DeCoud IMHO and they cut out that cancer.

All he had left was the rookies and back up playing , the vets were all out already

Mike Smith is the best coach that the falcons have ever had and TD is the best GM the falcons have ever had.....but, being the best we ever had may not be good enough.

I think we can win a superbowl with the combo of smith and TD....I just don't think that Smith has done what he is the best doing and that is coaching defense...that is partially a function of how the team is built and partially have head coaching duties.....but somehow he HAS to get that done for the falcons to be what they potentially can be.

Obviously the philosophy is heavy offense......I have been happy to see that we have TRIED to build the defense over the last 2 seasons with 13 draft picks in 2 seasons.....finally!!! I know we won't hit on most of them...but you have to play the law of averages and get more draft picks in here on the defense...I think one more defense heavy draft will fill the roster with young players that can take this defense to a very high level.

Remaining calm

Remaining monotonous. He is also an expert stutterer. Very consistent even when it isn't working. He is great at ensuring no turn overs on punts by demanding fair catches. Ensures that starters remain starters unless injury occurs. Great at cross training, not so good at single position training.

I'm a fan of Mike Smith. I don't believe he was the reason why Falcons have not won a championship but I believe he would be the next " fall guy" It's arguable he is the best coach Falcons ever had so I wanted to look into what's Mike Smith strengths as a coach and how they suit our team going forward

Strengths

Leadership qualities . Players seem to love playing for Smith and he has the ear of locker room.

Minimize mistakes - some of our fan base feels this is a conservative approach . I do not . Falcons been one of best teams in regards of minimizing turnovers and penalties

old school approach - Game is still won in the trenches and smash mouth football . Run and play defense. It's not his fault our GM has a different mindset

Passion - He is still a fiery competitor that does not like losing . You can tell by his face expressions and his press conferences he is passionate about game of football and this team. occasional fist bump

Mike Smith has been a excellent hire. I hate to see him be the fall guy for any mess the GM put Falcons in or even the owner. I understand football is a business and with 1 playoff win in 6 years clock is ticking but firing Smith would be a mistake without firing TD. If Smith is fired I understand cause it's bout results but you can't have TD pick the new head coach . It must be from a new GM and new perspective

I'm glad you're at least trying to not post dogshit. I agree w/ this post.

Guest MikeKennHOF

His biggest strength: cap-tipping.

Serious answer: getting a talent-short roster to play tight, play safe, and scrap out victories by allowing other teams to lose by making stupid, undisciplined mistakes.

Biggest weakness: making a talented roster play too tight, too safe, to make big plays and be aggressive enough to maximize the team's talent and potential.

He has a losing record against teams with equal or better talent. He was a perfect fit for a young team . He taught discipline , no mistake , HUMBLE football . That works up to a point. Unfortunately , he has done all he can . He can't compete with top coaches . It's just not what he is. Nothing personal to him , he is what he is . He is not a offensive guy like Payton , he's not a defensive guy like Belichek , he's not a motivater like Carroll .. to tell you the truth , I don't know actually what he is good at when it comes to on field coaching .... Anyway , if Blank truely wants a championship he's going to have to get a better coach .

Smith's best asset is that the team clearly likes him and plays for him. We had a major melt down after the bye-week last year, but it says a lot that he got the team to regroup and play hard for him. Beyond that I struggle to see anything positive.

Minimising mistakes is generally a good thing, but it can become a weakness when it comes at the expense of being aggressive and making plays. I'd rather give up 15 yards fighting our corner, than be so soft that we let a hated divisional opponent get away with cheap shots on our QB.

Being an old school coach isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you need to do more than run the ball and stop the run to succeed. The days of dominating with a physical running game are gone.

Smith has the balance wrong. He's risk averse and focused on avoiding mistakes, to an extend that leaves the team much too uptight and devoid of all aggressiveness. That's why we are a soft team that can't put teams away. Add that to his poor game and time out management and there is a strong argument far saying he's a liability.

Smith's best asset is that the team clearly likes him and plays for him. We had a major melt down after the bye-week last year, but it says a lot that he got the team to regroup and play hard for him. Beyond that I struggle to see anything positive.

Minimising mistakes is generally a good thing, but it can become a weakness when it comes at the expense of being aggressive and making plays. I'd rather give up 15 yards fighting our corner, than be so soft that we let a hated divisional opponent get away with cheap shots on our QB.

Being an old school coach isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you need to do more than run the ball and stop the run to succeed. The days of dominating with a physical running game are gone.

Smith has the balance wrong. He's risk averse and focused on avoiding mistakes, to an extend that leaves the team much too uptight and devoid of all aggressiveness. That's why we are a soft team that can't put teams away. Add that to his poor game and time out management and there is a strong argument far saying he's a liability.

If you look at past 6 years Mike Smith and Falcons would be top 7 in 20 + wins so I don't buy we don't put teams away this is the NFL where generally most teams play tight close games

He has a losing record against teams with equal or better talent. He was a perfect fit for a young team . He taught discipline , no mistake , HUMBLE football . That works up to a point. Unfortunately , he has done all he can . He can't compete with top coaches . It's just not what he is. Nothing personal to him , he is what he is . He is not a offensive guy like Payton , he's not a defensive guy like Belichek , he's not a motivater like Carroll .. to tell you the truth , I don't know actually what he is good at when it comes to on field coaching .... Anyway , if Blank truely wants a championship he's going to have to get a better coach .

No way you can think that,the regular season wins prove it...too many multiple win seasons. I think Smitty

has handled his equals.

Are you including p/o? We faced teams that had better talent...just a fact.

No way you can think that,the regular season wins prove it...too many multiple win seasons. I think Smitty

has handled his equals.

Are you including p/o? We faced teams that had better talent...just a fact.

a lot of his wins came against lesser teams . Look it up ... And look at his record against Payton . Payton coaches circles around good ole Smitty ....

If you look at past 6 years Mike Smith and Falcons would be top 7 in 20 + wins so I don't buy we don't put teams away this is the NFL where generally most teams play tight close games

Swifty on a positive tip and UK trolling? WTF?

My only real beefs with Smitty are his inability to beat the Aints and his playoff record. Most of that was player execution but he had a hand in some of it.