Can We Afford Julio And Orakpo Next Year?

FalconAge

I'm assuming we want to keep both Roddy and Julio of course. No Tony G inflates their stats further = more money.

Given that Matt's cap hit goes from 17.5 to 19.5 million next year on top of that, can we afford to pay Brian Orakpo, our best bet for free agent pass rusher?

He's making 11 million this year as D.C. franchise player, and reportedly wants a long-term deal. That said, we could probably lure him away to an actual Super Bowl contender at the right price.

My preference is to go after him instead of drafting a pass rusher in the first round. Assuming adequate free safety play, I think we may only be a good 3-4 OLB away from a borderline top-10 defense.

If we draft one it may take him a year or two to reach his potential, and in those two years Roddy will only get older. I think we have a window with two legit # 1 receivers.

Getting Orakpo (or holding out hope for a Justin Houston/KC disaster) would allow us to draft Roddy's heir-apparent in the 1st round, and given Roddy and Julio did such a good job developing our young cornerback duo, I don't think it's a stretch to think they can build even a lower 1st round receiver into a future star for us. With the insane rush on receivers this past draft, there is an even better chance a great wide-out falls to us.

Situation 1: Get Orakpo/ Justin Houston miracle

Situation 2: Don't get Orakpo, sign Sam Acho from Arizona and pray

Situation 3- Don't get Orakpo/ draft DE/OLB and pray

So, do you think we can afford Orakpo? And if we can't who would you like for us to go after?

I've honestly only seen Vic Beasley play, and I think he doesn't fall to us.

How about sign Orakpo and draft a pass rusher first? When are we going to get over this "just enough" mentality and get towards an "overkill" mentality. You can never have too many talented players that impact games. We have a lack of much pass rush talent. Do you really think Orakpo can do it by himself? Why not add Orakpo with a first round pick and Mass and Maponga (depending on your hopefulness of those two).

I thought as part of the CBA they said you can't do it two years in a row... I do know he's a UFA in 2015 if that matters.

6. No non-quarterback will be tagged more than twice.

Former Seahawks tackle Walter Jones once spent three straight years under the franchise tag, pocketing a total of $20 million and then signing a long-term deal that paid him $20 million more guaranteed, back when $20 million was a very big deal for NFL purposes.

Jones rolled the dice on bearing the injury risk for the three franchise years, and he won. Most players prefer the certainty of a long-term deal.

That’s why the 2006 CBA changed the formula to pay a non-quarterback the quarterback franchise tender if he’s tagged a third time.

Quarterbacks are protected, too. In the third year of the franchise tag, they get at least a 44-percent raise over their cap number in the prior year.

7. Arguably, no player can be tagged more than three times.

Last year’s grievance filed by Saints quarterback Drew Brees established that, if a player is tagged once by two different teams, it counts as being tagged twice. Which would have entitled him to a 44-percent raise in 2013, if he had played under the franchise tag last year for the Saints. (He was tagged in 2005 by the Chargers.)

Based on the language of the CBA, there’s an argument to be made that no player may ever be tagged more than three times during the course of his career.

Of course, tagging a player a fourth time would entail paying out a second 44-percent raise one year after paying out an initial 44-percent raise. Which would make it highly unlikely that any team would ever want to use the tag more than three times.

We may have some serious options in FA. I'm not thrilled about the edge in the draft man.

I'm keeping an eye on a few guys, and may add more as the season goes. For now though, I find Alvin Dupree and Dante Fowler jr especially intriguing. Both are very versatile, Fowler especially as he plays literally all 7 spots in the front seven. Eric Striker and Devonte Fields have also peaked my interest, among others.

I'm keeping an eye on a few guys, and may add more as the season goes. For now though, I find Alvin Dupree and Dante Fowler jr especially intriguing. Both are very versatile, Fowler especially as he plays literally all 7 spots in the front seven. Eric Striker and Devonte Fields have also peaked my interest, among others.

Not sold on any of them yet. Will have to see what they do this year.

With Hardy a FA, I doubt Johnson is cut as much as restructured. I like Hali alright, but what they do with him will depend on Ford.

They drafted Ealy, who was getting constant comparisons to Johnson. Meanwhile, they've already restructured Johnson once, so I doubt that they'd due that again. They're in rough cap shape next year too, and Johnson is the only obvious, elephant in the room, cut available. They don't have much else. Hardy will play on the FT, Johnson will get cut, they will use the money to resign Hardy, and play Ealy on the other side. Watch it happen.

Greg Hardy, Brian Orakpo, and Jason Worilds are probably the only ones worth mentioning for next year's FA.

There is very little love lost between us and Greg Hardy. Money talks, but I think he legit hates us, as we (our message-board at least) hate him.

Jason Worilds seems like he should have more production given the creative blitz scheme they use in Pittsburgh.

Sam Acho hasn't been productive, but some can be attributed to his injuries, although that's a bad sign as well. I'd want to draft a pass rusher early if we got him.

Somebody remind me, why wasn't Jackson Jeffcoat drafted? He tore a pec muscle that hurt him last year, but I thought given our state we would have pegged him as worth at least a 7th rounder. His low bench can be excused due to his injury, he showed some great flashes at Texas, and he has NFL bloodlines.

If he ends up starting for the Seahawks in a year or two, I think I'll be ill.

They drafted Ealy, who was getting constant comparisons to Johnson. Meanwhile, they've already restructured Johnson once, so I doubt that they'd due that again. They're in rough cap shape next year too, and Johnson is the only obvious, elephant in the room, cut available. They don't have much else. Hardy will play on the FT, Johnson will get cut, they will use the money to resign Hardy, and play Ealy on the other side. Watch it happen.

When is Cams contract due to happen?

I don't know if we could afford to be big spenders in free agency. Although we are projected to have 30 million in cap space (nearly 40 if you count this years remaining money) we will have 29 free agents most notably Roddy (who will probably get a deal soon), Kroy, Bosher, Osi, Bryant, Peters, Spoon, all of our CBs except Tru and Alford, all of our RBs except Freeman and Jackson. that's a lot of players to resign/replace. Plus you know how TD likes to resign his own players before looking at free agency.