Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tuggle'2

If We Stay Healthy And The Oline Is Good.

33 posts in this topic

If we stay healthy and the Oline ends up being pretty good I think becomes Matts best year yet. At least statistically that is. I am not comfortable making an actual prediction as far as wins/losses go but I think we fair well.

I really think Matt can break 5k yards and 35TDs while still keeping his accuracy up and ints down. I really think he has a shot at MVP if what stated happens for us.

I also believe we might possibly get 3 WRs with 1k yards. Possibly even a RB. I am super high on Freeman being an FSU homer. I doubt he would be the guy for the sole reason of splitting carries with the other guys. I do hope that if he is breasting out that Smith makes the call and gives him more carries and doesn't get stubborn and force the other guys.

I posted here for obvious reasons of course. Id like to keep the conversation on track as much as possible. I know they'll be one idget in here to try and ruin it, but he's too stupid to really effect anything. (You know who you are. :lol: )

What say you guys? I don't think it being out of the realm of reality. What y'all think?

blkbigdog35 likes this

Ryan's in his prime, an improved OL with upgrades in personnel and coach, a healthy triumvirate of Roddy,Julio and SJax along with Freeman, Quizz, throw in HD and potentially it's an offense with a lot of options, and with new variations that opposing defenses haven't seen from the Falcons. i.e. they got a chance to sneak up on some defenses early. I said 100 times before they have got to be able to run the ball consistently to keep defenses off balance. I do think Sjax bounces back, but have no problem with a quick switch to Freeman if #39 is slowing down the offense one iota.

If we stay healthy and the Oline ends up being pretty good I think becomes Matts best year yet. At least statistically that is. I am not comfortable making an actual prediction as far as wins/losses go but I think we fair well.

I really think Matt can break 5k yards and 35TDs while still keeping his accuracy up and ints down. I really think he has a shot at MVP if what stated happens for us.

I also believe we might possibly get 3 WRs with 1k yards. Possibly even a RB. I am super high on Freeman being an FSU homer. I doubt he would be the guy for the sole reason of splitting carries with the other guys. I do hope that if he is breasting out that Smith makes the call and gives him more carries and doesn't get stubborn and force the other guys.

I posted here for obvious reasons of course. Id like to keep the conversation on track as much as possible. I know they'll be one idget in here to try and ruin it, but he's too stupid to really effect anything. (You know who you are. laugh.png )

What say you guys? I don't think it being out of the realm of reality. What y'all think?

How does this prediction differ from last preseasons?laugh.png

I think the key is staying healthy across the board and with the improvement across both lines I think our skill players will excel. Roddy and Julio are going to go beast mode on CB's and our defense will much improved. I think we bounce back and make the playoffs for sure.

If our O-Line can really show that they improved dramatically from last year, look out.........our offense could really be almost unstoppable if we can establish the run early and often..........then we can go back to kicking the Taints,Sucs and Panties *****............laugh.png....with that being said, I'll reserve judgement until I can see them in action.

I think the key is staying healthy across the board and with the improvement across both lines I think our skill players will excel. Roddy and Julio are going to go beast mode on CB's and our defense will much improved. I think we bounce back and make the playoffs for sure.

This is what I'm talking about. Staying healthy and the Oline playing well. That means we have reestablished a run game and our pass blocking is at the very least giving Ryan 3 whole seconds and not 1.9 .

I don't think it's that far fetched. Heck, he had 4500 yards last year with none of that and no WRs.

blkbigdog35 likes this

Took this from another thread but's relevant not only the injuries but it was tough 2013 schedule just didn't realize it was that tough.

As far as Ryan vs. Luck in 2013, guess what the number one issue is? SCHEDULE! Simple as that. The Falcons played one of the ten hardest offensive schedules in the history of Football Outsiders numbers, with their average opposing defense having -6.5% DVOA. The only teams that had it tougher: 2004 CIN/CLE, 2008 CIN/CLE, 1991 DAL, and 2004 NYJ. (Apparently, the Ravens and Steelers make life difficult on offenses, who knew?)

Luck played a tough schedule too, but not THAT tough.

This is what I'm talking about. Staying healthy and the Oline playing well. That means we have reestablished a run game and our pass blocking is at the very least giving Ryan 3 whole seconds and not 1.9 .

I don't think it's that far fetched. Heck, he had 4500 yards last year with none of that and no WRs.

That's what I'm thinking as well I'm hoping Koetter really opens up the offense. I think SJax feeling the presence of Freeman should get him running the in beast mode. Man I'm just ready to see these new pieces come together.

That's what I'm thinking as well I'm hoping Koetter really opens up the offense. I think SJax feeling the presence of Freeman should get him running the in beast mode. Man I'm just ready to see these new pieces come together.

Jay Adams said the other day that realistically we've only seen a tiny % of Koetters play book. They're going to open it up this year.

It makes sense too. When Koetter got here in off season of 2012 they said they're going to still use MMs book and work in some of Koetters stuff slowly to ease the transition. We were supposed to see a lot more last year but with all the injuries to the WRs and more importantly the Oline it made that impossible. Can't open up the vert attack book with nobody to catch and no time in the pocket to allow plays to open up.

I look forward to seeing what it's all about this year. I think Gonzo also held his play book back. He'd never had the dominant pass catching TE before and was winging it with Tony. Should see a lot of new stuff. I can't wait.

Jay Adams said the other day that realistically we've only seen a tiny % of Koetters play book. They're going to open it up this year.

It makes sense too. When Koetter got here in off season of 2012 they said they're going to still use MMs book and work in some of Koetters stuff slowly to ease the transition. We were supposed to see a lot more last year but with all the injuries to the WRs and more importantly the Oline it made that impossible. Can't open up the vert attack book with nobody to catch and no time in the pocket to allow plays to open up.

I look forward to seeing what it's all about this year. I think Gonzo also held his play book back. He'd never had the dominant pass catching TE before and was winging it with Tony. Should see a lot of new stuff. I can't wait.

Well I'm truly excited then if they have only opened up a tiny % of the PB.

You probably saw this coming but................

that_makes_me_moist_____by_rammoholic-d6gsl30.jpg

blkbigdog35 likes this

I know I am stoked, I know Ryan can mentally handle a deeper playbook….

Totally agree, I hope they bring back the no huddle. Also if the run game is back he can start back with the play action his bread and butter.

Totally agree, I hope they bring back the no huddle. Also if the run game is back he can start back with the play action his bread and butter.

I am still perplexed why it seems they don't use it as much as they used to, but yea please return to the no huddle, h e l l thats what I 'd run whenever they hit the doldrums offensively. The only reason to slow it down is the OL couldn't keep up I guess.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Falcons' biggest key to success

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Vaughn McClure

http://espn.go.com/b...s/print?id=6471

The Atlanta Falcons plan to be back in Super Bowl contention this season. But it's not just about rebounding from last year's 4-12 campaign. It's about maintaining the success they've had since Mike Smith took over as coach; Smith has posted a 60-36 record since arriving in 2008.

Over the next three years, maintaining an emphasis on offense will be the biggest key to success. Nothing is more important than keeping franchise quarterback Matt Ryan upright and healthy. The team firmly believes Ryan is an elite quarterback when given ample opportunity to deliver the ball. The hope is a rebuilt offensive line, featuring veteran offensive guard Jon Asamoah and first-round draft pick Jake Matthews, that will be solid for years to come. But the Falcons have to continue to develop depth, particularly at tackle, just in case a player like Sam Baker (knee) doesn't hold up for an entire season.

Of course, giving Ryan all the protection in the world means nothing without playmakers catching the ball. That's why the Falcons have to lock up top receiver Julio Jones with a lucrative, long-term contract. Picking up the fifth-year option on Jones allowed the team to assure he'd be around through at least 2015. Although Jones is coming off a significant foot injury, the Falcons are certain he'll return to his old explosive self. At his best, Jones is probably one of the top two receivers in the league, along with Calvin Johnson. Johnson makes $16 million per year; Jones will make $10,176,000 in 2015 as part of the option year.

The Falcons are built to be an offensive team, and that won't change any time soon. They'll likely have to invest in another receiver unless they can get another solid three years out of Roddy White. They'll have to look into a pass-catching tight end if promising Levine Toilolo doesn't make the necessary strides. And the running game doesn't have to be dynamic, just solid. Devonta Freeman could be the every-down back they count on over the next three years.

Defensively, the Falcons won't be in the top five in the league. They probably won't even be in the top 10. They just need to be good enough to keep opposing teams from scoring in the high 20s and breaking off explosive play after explosive play. The future looks bright with Desmond Trufant and Robert Alford at the corners. The Falcons will have to invest in a pass-rusher at some point while also addressing needs at linebacker. But the defense doesn't have to be great for the team to have success.

The offense, however, certainly needs to be dynamic.

This is pretty much what we all have been eluding to.

Abe likes this

A little bit showing that what I said is possible.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl/rumors/

MVP upside in Matt Ryan?

By Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com

Only Ryan Tannehill and Joe Flacco were sacked more often than Matt Ryanlast season, and no one was pressured more often. With that in mind, theAtlanta Falcons made some significant changes to their O-line this offseason in order to keep him upright and allow him more time to make sound decisions.

AtlantaFalcons.com's Jay Adams thinks that the sky is the limit this season for Ryan, if the O-line lives up to the hype and his wideouts stay healthy.

"With key additions to the offensive line, like guard Jon Asamoah and first-round tackle Jake Matthews on the right side, and the healthy return of Sam Baker at left tackle, Ryan could have much more time to go through his progressions and find his talented receivers this season," Adams wrote.

"... With all that’s around him on paper right now, it’s not far fetched to believe Ryan should be in the early talk for MVP honors."

ESPN Falcons reporter Vaughn McClure also expects Ryan to be among the top stat-producing quarterbacks this season as he benefits from those aforementioned O-line changes:

mcclure_vaughn_30.jpg

Vaughn McClure

Falcons will thrive by living in the pass

"I expect Ryan to be among the top five quarterbacks in passing yards for a third consecutive season. I just think he will put up those numbers under better circumstances. I expect we'll see more of the Ryan we saw in San Francisco last season, when he carved up the 49ers, completing 37 of 48 passes for 348 yards and two scores. I also expect the Falcons to be among the league's top 10 in scoring, like they were in 2010, 2011 and 2012 (fifth, seventh and seventh, respectively). Last season, they dipped to 20th with an average of 22.1 points per game. Of course, Ryan and the offense have to be smart and take what opposing defenses give them. It's just hard to imagine them running the ball down a team’s throat the entire game. A lot depends on the new-look offensive line. We should get a better feel for the unit during training camp, particularly when the Falcons have their joint practices with the
Tennessee Titans
and the
Houston Texans
. But the Falcons didn't sign Jon Asamoah and draft Jake Matthews with the intent of becoming a grind-it-out team. It's about protecting Ryan and giving him adequate time to find his receivers and go deep. And his deep ball has been on point this offseason."

Really excited about this year. And yeah JB, I was excited about last year too, figured the Oline would gel as the season went on. Also figured the skill position players could take pressure off the Oline, and then it all went to shi....

Think the Falcons were planning on really opening up the playbook last year and just weren't able to.

Here's something I put in a thread in TATF

Last 32 quarters Ryan played in 2011, he threw 314 times, for 61%, 2500 yards, 20 TDs and 4 INTs, 7.9 YPA. 32 quarters is 8 games, double that, you have 5000, 40, 8.

In a 64 quarter stretch combining games in 2011 and 2012, Ryan threw for 37 TDs.

If Ryan had thrown 50 more passes in 2012, he hits 5000 yards easy.[stafford threw it 700 times to get to 5000]

This idea that 5000 and 40 are impossible is just hatin' on Ryan.

Now would have to be a combination of things happening- reason I said 32[64] quarters rather than 8 games is because those 32 quarters came over 9 games- he sat out 4 quarters in those games because of blowouts. [One of them was the TAM game- last game of the year, where the bucs weren't interested at all in being there]

Falcons would have to be more aggressive with the play calling to make it happen, but it's certainly possible.

dardan likes this

This idea that 5000 and 40 are impossible is just hatin' on Ryan.

Now would have to be a combination of things happening - reason I said 32 [64] quarters rather than 8 games is because those 32 quarters came over 9 games - he sat out 4 quarters in those games because of blowouts ...

Falcons would have to be more aggressive with the play calling to make it happen, but it's certainly possible.

Good points. The thought that Ryan is incapable of a 5,000 yard, 40 TD season is absurd. He certainly has the talent - and the offense to put up those kinds of numbers.

It may however require special circumstances to happen. The Falcons don't have the personality to blow teams out (usually pulling up late with the lead.) So, they'd either have to change their stripes or have a defense that required them to put up big numbers to stay in games. I wouldn't mind the former, but want to stay away from the latter.

Tuggle'2 likes this

Monday, July 14, 2014

Saturday thinks things lining up for Falcons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Vaughn McClure

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/print?id=6551

The Atlanta Falcons' offensive line is sure to face its share of scrutiny in 2014 despite noticeable upgrades made throughout the offseason.

Six-time Pro Bowl center Jeff Saturday, an Atlanta native and now an analyst for ESPN, wasn't much of a fan of the Falcons' line prior to free agency and the draft. But Saturday applauded the additions of free-agent right guard Jon Asamoah and especially rookie first-round pick Jake Matthews, now the starting right tackle.

"I think two really good pickups,'' Saturday said. "I think Matthews, just the longevity you're looking at there. When I was looking at film toward the draft, Matthews is a very polished player. He's already ahead of the game.

Jake Matthews

Jake Matthews has helped upgrade Atlanta's offensive line.

"When you look at the NFL today, one of the toughest adjustments for players coming from the college level to the pros, because they run so many spread offenses, is that pass protection and being able to sit on that island by yourself. I think [Matthews] has done that and I think he has worked on his craft. Obviously, the bloodlines he's coming from speak to his work ethic. But at the end of the day, he is ready to go in and help contribute.''

Saturday reiterated how impressed he was with Matthews being able to adjust to the spread offense he played under while at Texas A&M alongside Johnny Manziel and how he didn't allow that to hinder his progress.

"When you're talking about a spread offense, it's difficult because you've got running backs running around and you really don't know what your launch point for the quarterback is going to be,'' Saturday explained. "Where your hips are aligned, which way they're facing, all those things are very important. I thought he did a really good job of coming out of his set, keeping his set natural, understanding he was going to set up for Johnny to be in the pocket every time and however it adjusted from there, he would make it happen.''

Saturday also commended the Falcons for starting Matthews at right tackle and not forcing him immediately in at left tackle, with Sam Baker set to resume his left tackle duties coming off a significant knee surgery.

"I think it's a good move,'' Saturday said. "I think you let them play and see how Jake comes along and how Sam plays. I don't think you make any immediate, rash movement. You say it all the time: The best five need to be on the field. If Sam Baker is in your best five, he needs to be in the position he's best at. Then you make Matthews go where he is and have the other guys do the same. That's how you build continuity on the offense line. You build strength and you build confidence in guys. Then it goes to when one guy goes down, they know other guys can jump in. But you start with your best five on the field.''

Right now, the best five are Baker and Matthews at the tackles, Asamoah and Justin Blalock at the guards and Joe Hawley at center. Based on the offseason, it looks like Mike Johnson, Ryan Schraeder and Gabe Carimi are the most capable backups.

Tuggle'2 likes this

Good points. The thought that Ryan is incapable of a 5,000 yard, 40 TD season is absurd. He certainly has the talent - and the offense to put up those kinds of numbers.

It may however require special circumstances to happen. The Falcons don't have the personality to blow teams out (usually pulling up late with the lead.) So, they'd either have to change their stripes or have a defense that required them to put up big numbers to stay in games. I wouldn't mind the former, but want to stay away from the latter.

Very good points. Smith isn't really the coach to allow the big numbers. I think his philosophy would be one of the things holding it back. Which would mean the defense looks bad for it to happen. Maybe with his job on the line he lets Koetter and Matt loose though? One can hope right? lol

blkbigdog35 likes this

Very good points. Smith isn't really the coach to allow the big numbers. I think his philosophy would be one of the things holding it back. Which would mean the defense looks bad for it to happen. Maybe with his job on the line he lets Koetter and Matt loose though? One can hope right? lol

Good to be able to finally post in here.

I'm a fan of Mike Smith but this is probably THE single most thing he does that bothers me terribly. I'm of the belief that if you don't want a team to rack up the score on you, then stop them. I don't mean going for it on 4th and 1 when your up 55-0 with 3 minutes left in the game or anything but crazy things happen in the NFL and I am not comfy until there is a 3 TD lead and only enough time to squeak out two if they were lucky. I'm hoping that Smith realizes that another bad season and he may be out so he loosens up a little and be more aggressive.

As far as Ryan goes, why shouldn't this be the best year of his career? Two factors keeping him from it are injuries to the O-Line and receiving corps and maybe TG's absence (although I think this will help him sling it more). The run game improving only makes the passing yardage easier to come by because the defense won't be 100% pass focused like they were last year.

Good to be able to finally post in here.

I'm a fan of Mike Smith but this is probably THE single most thing he does that bothers me terribly. I'm of the belief that if you don't want a team to rack up the score on you, then stop them. I don't mean going for it on 4th and 1 when your up 55-0 with 3 minutes left in the game or anything but crazy things happen in the NFL and I am not comfy until there is a 3 TD lead and only enough time to squeak out two if they were lucky. I'm hoping that Smith realizes that another bad season and he may be out so he loosens up a little and be more aggressive.

As far as Ryan goes, why shouldn't this be the best year of his career? Two factors keeping him from it are injuries to the O-Line and receiving corps and maybe TG's absence (although I think this will help him sling it more). The run game improving only makes the passing yardage easier to come by because the defense won't be 100% pass focused like they were last year.

I actually think TGs absence will help his yards not hurt it. Gonzo was never going to get anymore YAC than the super slow spin move of depth would allow. That was maybe another 3-5 at most. With him gone all our guys now have the ability to actually break loose if the defense allows it. Gonzo that was never gonna happen. I remember even seeing him in space and he'd still juke around almost waiting for DB rather than run forward for yards.

I actually think TGs absence will help his yards not hurt it. Gonzo was never going to get anymore YAC than the super slow spin move of depth would allow. That was maybe another 3-5 at most. With him gone all our guys now have the ability to actually break loose if the defense allows it. Gonzo that was never gonna happen. I remember even seeing him in soace and he'd still juke around almost waiting for DB rather than run forward for yards.

I agree with you. I was mainly saying that as the only possible points to say he would perform less this year than last.

And how dare you make fun of the spin move!!! lol

I agree with you. I was mainly saying that as the only possible points to say he would perform less this year than last.

And how dare you make fun of the spin move!!! lol

I wasn't making fun of it. It was like some strange Jedi mind trick. It was in slow motion but yet it always fooled everyone. Guy had mind powers man.

AtlantaFanatic likes this