I Am A Falcon Fan

I know most of you here say the same thing, some of you say it and we have doubts whether or not you actually mean it. However, as a Falcon fan we have the right to not agree with everything the team does, we have the right to be a homer for our team if we want, we have the right to start a topic displaying 100's of stats that suit or agenda for that day.

The one thing we all forget sometimes is why we started following this team to begin with. Even the biggest skeptics of this team probably started rooting for them before there was ever any real success to follow. We have all been there for the good times, the bad times and the REALLY bad times.

So today I think it would be interesting to see from everyone, what was the first game you remember watching? When did you become a fan? What motivates you to stay loyal to this team?

Even those of you who are constantly putting up stats to show why you dislike Mike Smith, TD, and Ryan. There was a time when you first decided to support this team and a reason you still root for them.

So for one day, lets take a few minutes out from bashing a aspect of the team and talk about the memories that made us Falcons Fans.

I am fairly young and became a Falcon fan in 1998. That was truly the first full season I watched of any major league sport. The Falcons stuck out to me because of the Dirty Bird. Being 10 at the time I did not truly grasp the game yet. Still, living outside of Chattanooga the Falcons were on every Sunday and me and my dad watched every game.

The one game I remember from that season was when they played the 49ers for the second time. 9ers had already beat them once and it was a revenge game from the Falcons. I remember Young throwing everywhere, T.O. and Rice catching td's. But what I will never forget was the 4th quarter. Both teams put up a lot of points with the Falcons coming out on top.

I root for this team because they are a true underdog that to this day gets no respect. I honestly can not wait to see them raise the Lombardi!

I don't remember it but I have a picture that I cherish of me at my first game. I was 2 months old (December 1979) wearing a Falcon onesie being held by my dad in the old Fulton County. My dad has it hanging in his office at his house. I love that picture and what it represents. My fandom of the Falcons is about a lot of things but sharing memories with my father has always been my favorite.

I don't remember it but I have a picture that I cherish of me at my first game. I was 2 months old (December 1979) wearing a Falcon onesie being held by my dad in the old Fulton County. My dad has it hanging in his office at his house. I love that picture and what it represents. My fandom of the Falcons is about a lot of things but sharing memories with my father has always been my favorite.

Poor kid never had a chance. ;).

On a serious note, great story. I would venture to say the majority of NFL fans became that way because of their dad. I remember being outside at 7 or 8 and being able to hear my dad scream at the TV during a game from down the street.

Poor kid never had a chance. wink.png.

On a serious note, great story. I would venture to say the majority of NFL fans became that way because of their dad. I remember being outside at 7 or 8 and being able to hear my dad scream at the TV during a game from down the street.

Haha! Man I have so many memories of hearing my dad (always the loudest) yelling at the TV on Sundays. Sunday football was always such a big deal in our house. We'd always have lots of friends of the family over and grill out. It was almost Thanksgiving every Sunday for us. There was lots of yelling at the TV. lol

Haha! Man I have so many memories of hearing my dad (always the loudest) yelling at the TV on Sundays. Sunday football was always such a big deal in our house. We'd always have lots of friends of the family over and grill out. It was almost Thanksgiving every Sunday for us. There was lots of yelling at the TV. lol

I still try to have a big get together at the house every Sunday. I don't watch football with negative people though. The ones who think the game is over in the 2nd quarter? Can't deal with them lol. Nothing will ever be as special as sitting down and watching the game as a kid and learning what it's about from my dad though. Special times!

I still try to have a big get together at the house every Sunday. I don't watch football with negative people though. The ones who think the game is over in the 2nd quarter? Can't deal with them lol. Nothing will ever be as special as sitting down and watching the game as a kid and learning what it's about from my dad though. Special times!

I do the same thing myself. I love football talk and even good honest critiquing of the team and games but I simply have zero patience for irrational hot heads. I have a few friends like that who ironically enough bish about never getting an invite or told about people meeting for the game. Always thinking to myself , it's cause you annoy everyone bro. lol

I do the same thing myself. I love football talk and even good honest critiquing of the team and games but I simply have zero patience for irrational hot heads. I have a few friends like that who ironically enough bish about never getting an invite or told about people meeting for the game. Always thinking to myself , it's cause you annoy everyone bro. lol

Yup. Father in law drives me crazy! Half a quarter in it's, "They're gonna lose. The other team wants it more than them. They're trying harder." ***!!! It just started!! The other team gets a pay check too! Lol. All of my friends know though, and know I won't hesitate to kick them out.

I'm right there with you Tuggle. Watching Falcon football on Sundays with my dad is what it's all about. It's what we bond over the most. He taught be to never be a bandwagon fan and it's going to be a very special moment when we get to jump around the living room like a 13 yr old girl at a Justin Beiber concert when the red and black confetti is dropping from the air when we finally hoist that lombardi.

I became a fan when I found out my cousin Jessie Tuggle played for the Falcons. I became even more of a fan when my Dad took me to my first Falcons game against the Chicago Bears back in 98 if I remember correctly...broke my glasses the day before....so couldn't really see a darn thing. laugh.png

The first game I remember watching on TV was famous for "Big Ben Right." Wallace Frances tipped a Bartkowski pass to Alfred Jackson who scored on the end of the 50+ yard pass to be the Saints. Two weeks later, we beat the Saints again late on a PI in the endzone. My Falcons fanship will always be defined by how we do vs. the Saints.

The first game I remember attending was against the Dallas Cowboys in a season where winning that game against them was one of the few bright lights in our season. We sat in the temporary rollout aluminum stands in AFCS and looked at the players backsides for four quarters. When we were on defense late the fans were stomping on those bleachers in unison and they felt like they were hopping up and down.

The most vivid memory of AFCS was pregame parachute act. The guy delivering the football had his pilot chute wrap around the wire that held up the goalpost netting. After he hung there for a few seconds, the pilot chute lines broke and he fell to the ground (30 feet or so is my guess). The main chute opened and covered him like something out of a road runner cartoon. He escaped, but had a broken pelvis to deal with.

I've been with the Falcons since they were born. I was 10 years old... do the math.

I remember my cousins from New Orleans were Falcons fans back then since we were the only deep south pro football team. They eventually became Saints fans and we stopped speaking to that side of the family.

I remember trying to collect all of these in 1966

21ARF6a.jpg

Edited by trudweathers

Negative people and those who don't have a very basic concept on the game are a no go on game day

Native Atlantan. I've been a Falcons fan since I was a kid & now I have two sons of my own (both very young kids). The Falcons are the only team we have ever been a fan of.

I remember going to a handful of games @ Atlanta Fulton Co. stadium when I was a kid

If you have been a Falcons fan for that long, then you know that the day that Blank bought the team from the Smith family was a great day.

I have been a Falcons fan since their first game and I always will be one. There for the first game in the Dome and I plan to be there for the first game in the new stadium. I had to move to Miami in the 70's when they were winning everything but I still pulled for my Falcons.

No one can make me change my mind, either.

My dad is a huge Browns fan. I remember he used to drag me behind him to one of his buddy's house and they would drink, leaving me to play with his friend's son, Marcus, who I absolutely could not stand. One Sunday in 1971, Atlanta was playing the Browns and I was bored and angry. Just to get some satisfaction out of my foul mood, I started rooting for the Birds to win (silently) and they took the Browns to the woodshed. Everybody else was pi**ed off at the outcome, but I was smiling on the inside because I found my new favorite team. I've been with them for over 40 years.

One night, many years later, my Pops came home drunk and noticed that I was wearing a Michigan sweatshirt. Of course, being in Buckeye country, this was a sin in his eyes. "You can't be a fair weather fan and wear their stuff!" I gave it some thought and came back with: "Dad, I've been a fan of the Falcons for 10 years. Do you think that I'm a fair weather fan?" My dad, who never de-escalated once he was drunk and angry, gave this some thought and de-escalated immediately.

Didn't really have pops around so I didn't start watching as early as some of you guys. I didn't start watching until 97. Became a Broncos and Falcons fan in that year. I liked the Broncos because of Elway and Davis, still cheer for them until they play the Falcons. Jessie Tuggle and Terrance Mathis were 2 players I enjoyed watching at that time so I started cheering for the Falcons

william andrews, lynn cain, haskel stanback, alfred jenkins, wallace francis, jeff van note, fulton kykendall, steve bartkowski, leeman bennett

those are my earliest memories of my love for the falcons

I actually started watching the falcons with my aunt...she was a huge fan, my dad wasn't a falcons fan....he did come get me out of church to watch the falcons on sundays though