The Leftovers On Hbo

Another crazy episode. The opening scene with Nora was great. I think Kevin's palm print is going to come back and bite him in the ***. Hopefully we get to met Kevin when he is sleepwalking. He seems like a completely different person. Patti was great in this episode but i'm not sure if shes telling Kevin the truth. How in the **** can the guy in the tower see Patti?

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another crazy episode. The opening scene with Nora was great. I think Kevin's palm print is going to come back and bite him in the ***. Hopefully we get to met Kevin when he is sleepwalking. He seems like a completely different person. Patti was great in this episode but i'm not sure if shes telling Kevin the truth. How in the **** can the guy in the tower see Patti?

I guess the same way Danny Glover-lookalike knows Nora and Kevin's past. There's an element of mysticism on the show and the show has never revealed whether it's bull **** and people's heads, or if it's real. It's very clever story telling, especially given characters that fall on opposite sides of the debate, either it's all bull **** or there is some higher power at work.

I guess the same way Danny Glover-lookalike knows Nora and Kevin's past. There's an element of mysticism on the show and the show has never revealed whether it's bull **** and people's heads, or if it's real. It's very clever story telling, especially given characters that fall on opposite sides of the debate, either it's all bull **** or there is some higher power at work.

I definitely want to learn more about the guy that knows about Nora and Kevin's past and I don't think any of the mysticism in the show is #######. It's very interesting stuff.

Best episode of the season so far. Carrie Coon should be in everything. She might be my favorite actress on the planet. The opening scene made my hair stand up, it was so uncomfortable watching somebody lose it like that, only for it to come to a dead stop when Kevin walked in the door. To see the relief on her face and hugging him one second, and then how she can't stand to even be in the same room with him the next ah she's ******* brilliant.

Patti stole this episode. I laughed nearly every time she was on the screen. Justin Theroux also was fantastic when he finally broke his silence to her. The way he delivered "I don't want to kill myself" made me swallow a golf ball. I ******* hate when the credits come up on this show.

Edited by The Shotfather

That was nuts. Great use of music throughout.

I keep waiting for this season to have a really gut wrenching, emotional scene, and there haven't been any, not like last season. They were mostly in the second half of the first season though, so maybe they're saving them for the upcoming episodes.

Did a re-watch of this because it was such a good episode, and dammit I want more of that encampment. It's like a little menagerie of lost souls who have formed their own multi-cultural civilization with their own laws and economy. At least that's how it is in my head. I'm so fascinated by the **** going on there. It has been a figurative melting pot in the background of this season, and I'm just waiting for the moment that it boils over. I'm fully expecting a "Storm the fort" moment at some point. Which probably means it's not going to happen.

I originally thought this season was going to be an exploration of paranoia after the first episode, but every episode that passes seems to be focusing more on what it's like to be apart of a community, and how it shapes our actions and thoughts.

The community of Miracle, the community of the encampment which we've had a very small taste of, and the community of the Guilty Remnant, which we have unfortunately only got in one episode this season, in addition to the small stuff we got last year. It seems to be the purveying theme so far. How our involvement in our community affects our family, how acting outside the interests of our community can cause hostility, or in the words of Varys the Spider, how one seemingly small man can cast such a large shadow, as is the case with John. The willingness to help people that you barely know, regardless of how ****** up it may seem afterwards- it's all there and it's all incredibly interesting.

This is so badly what I want one of the main themes of the Walking Dead to be, especially with the introduction of Alexandria. Hopefully one day it can get to that point, because this show is doing it so ******* well.

But to discuss an actual plot point: I thought it was so ****** up that Matt just dumped Mary onto Nora and her family so he could embark on some kind of "find himself" journey. It coming in the same episode where I was so choked up by his devotion to her was the first time that I felt that emotional gut punch that hadn't really happened this season until that moment. Dude is really on my **** list right now.

Edit: Yeah, I noticed the music much more this time around. The song that accompanied Matt's walk to the encampment was perfect. I'd never listen to that song on my own in my car, but it was great in that moment.

Edited by The Shotfather

I definitely see the **** hitting the fan and the camp getting in the gates. There are competing narratives - John thinks Miracle is bull **** and Matt and the others think it's truly special. I don't think we'll get an answer either way, but something will happen that will completely change it.

I don't think John will survive this season. I think Kevin will have to kill him, probably when they gets the prints back.

I was surprised at how the camp is truly a community, not just people from different backgrounds all trying to get in.

The idea that Matt could have raped his wife is also one of the most uncomfortable storylines I've ever seen in a show. I hope for his sake that he's telling the truth about her "waking up" that night. Otherwise...ugh.

When that was first revealed, I immediately thought "weird, they're doing an 'immaculate conception' type deal, I guess to continue Matt's 'Miracle really is special' deal."

Then I realized that's not what they were doing, and I

3gcbh4d.jpg

The juxtaposition of Matt being so heart-breakingly happy about receiving the news that Mary was pregnant and the doctor not wanting his office to be compliant in or knowledgable of his possible rape was just perfectly done. This show makes me ask more questions or think about more scenarios than any I've ever seen before.

If Matt is mentally ill and is hallucinating Mary "waking up", can you really call that rape in the same sense that we know it as? If you're hallucinating someone who is completely willing to have sex with you, but in real life they're a vegetable, how do you even classify that?

If you think he was lying about her waking up, how do you prove it? If she was not able to give her consent to the sex, then should she be expected to consent to the growing and birth of a child she may or may not have wanted?

Edited by The Shotfather

The juxtaposition of Matt being so heart-breakingly happy about receiving the news that Mary was pregnant and the doctor not wanting his office to be compliant in or knowledgable of his possible rape was just perfectly done. This show makes me ask more questions or think about more scenarios than any I've ever seen before.

If Matt is mentally ill and is hallucinating Mary "waking up", can you really call that rape in the same sense that we know it as? If you're hallucinating someone who is completely willing to have sex with you, but in real life they're a vegetable, how do you even classify that?

If you think he was lying about her waking up, how do you prove it? If she was not able to give her consent to the sex, then should she be expected to consent to the growing and birth of a child she may or may not have wanted?

I loved that we got a non-Garvey that is seeing things - not hearing voices like papa Garvey or seeing apparitions like Kevin, but possibly hallucinating about his vegetative wife talking to him. It's brilliant to show Matt hallucinating (or maybe really seeing) Mary talking, and not showing at all the night she "woke up." Leaving it to the viewer is powerful. (I'm watching it again right now).

They have a religious consultant this season, she's in the credits, I read an interview with her, I believe she has a Ph.D. They didn't randomly pick Job as Matt's favorite book of the Bible. The ending is a nice nod to that.

This episode was great. I don't think Matt is hallucinating. I think she's waking up but only Matt can see her but wasn't there a guy that heard her talking in the visting center in Miracle? Hopefully we find out what happen to John to make him hate Miracle so much. I also hoping we get to see more of the camp outside Miracle.

Matt leaves Mary with Nora even though they got their wristbands back. Then he goes out of the park, and trades places with the guy in the stocks. Why?

Because he feels he has done some ungodly things in protecting Mary. He’s also conflicted [about] his crisis of faith. When John asks him to deny it, it’s all connected to that. It’s all connected to Matt’s relationship with God. It’s also connected to teaching these people a lesson in the encampment. Matt is, as ever, looking for a congregation. He finds one by teaching them kindness.

Christopher Eccleston on Playing the Unluckiest, Most Optimistic Character onThe Leftovers

Good episode, but the "Nobody Laughs at God" song was distractingly terrible.

You guys should really be watching Fargo, btw.

It's really remarkable how this season has managed to balance this never-ending sense of doom with a comparable level of fun. So much is happening all the time — the season is, frankly, busier than "True Detective" was at this point in year 2 — yet almost every piece (maybe not the UFO, but we'll wait and see on that) of it feels clearly connected to every other piece, all of it being presented with a deceptively gentle touch, given how tense and violent it all is.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-fargo-fear-and-trembling-dead-men-walking#JsuVXeq667qMcLu8.99

I don't know how to watch season 1 and get caught up without buying a device that supports Hulu or buying season 1 on bluray, neither of which I am inclined to do at the moment. I'll wait and see if it hits netflix, get caught up, and hopefully be able to catch up live in a later season like I did with Mad Men.

I don't know how to watch season 1 and get caught up without buying a device that supports Hulu or buying season 1 on bluray, neither of which I am inclined to do at the moment. I'll wait and see if it hits netflix, get caught up, and hopefully be able to catch up live in a later season like I did with Mad Men.

Apparently my Vizio smart tv might have Hulu available, and my xbox one definitely does, but I'm not keen on paying an additional $7.99 a month for commercials, or $11.99 a month for commercial free, beyond what I already pay for netflix, which I rarely use.

Laurie calling Nora was the first really emotional moment this season for me. Regina absolutely stole the show.

It was really interesting how they filmed Kevin's confession - I'm assuming we didn't see Patti because it was from Nora's point of view. It seems like we get plenty of Patti from Kevin's point of view next week.

It was great to have so many questions answered:

Why Erika buries birds in boxes;

John went to prison because he tried to kill Regina's dad, who is revealed as the psychic/mystic living in the trailer (not sure why though, I'm sure that revelation will come); and

Why the guy slaughters the goats and why the lady wears the wedding dress.

I love that Matt is already freed and has taken on some sort of leadership role in Bizarro-Miracle camp.