The Leftovers On Hbo

Finally caught up tonight. Wow, wow wow. More great acting and song choices. What a great ending on tonight's episode.

I must say last week's episode in the hotel might was to notch acting. What a superb episode. JT is killing it in this role. My wife had trouble sleeping because of the TV static scenes.

The finale is going to be insane. S*** is going to hit the fan.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally caught up tonight. Wow, wow wow. More great acting and song choices. What a great ending on tonight's episode.

I must say last week's episode in the hotel might was to notch acting. What a superb episode. JT is killing it in this role. My wife had trouble sleeping because of the TV static scenes.

The finale is going to be insane. S*** is going to hit the fan.

I'm trying to think of what's going to happen, but I don't like to speculate too much because A. I'll almost certainly be wrong, this show throws me for a loop and goes 180 degrees in the opposite direction I think it will every week, which is awesome and shows its brilliant writing, and B. it's more fun at this point to just sit back and experience it.

Obviously Meg is going to try to blow up something, likely the bridge, but that also doesn't make sense because she wants the camp outside of Miracle to be able to get in, and the bridge is the only way they can get in. She obviously wants to sacrifice Evie and her friends, both to hurt the residents of Miracle and show the world it wasn't spared from pain. Just not sure how it's going to play out. There was an ultra brief flash back, almost like seeing the demon face in The Exorcist, to the bridge, that seemed to show the trailer on the bridge, I need to watch it again, a reviewer commented that it gave a hint as to what is going to happen.

Great episode. Meg is scary as ****. What the **** did Meg mean when she told Tommy she was trying to get him pregnant? lol

I think she just wanted to **** with him. She knows he's screwed up mentally, she's just keeping it going.

I'm trying to think of what's going to happen, but I don't like to speculate too much because A. I'll almost certainly be wrong, this show throws me for a loop and goes 180 degrees in the opposite direction I think it will every week, which is awesome and shows its brilliant writing, and B. it's more fun at this point to just sit back and experience it.

Obviously Meg is going to try to blow up something, likely the bridge, but that also doesn't make sense because she wants the camp outside of Miracle to be able to get in, and the bridge is the only way they can get in. She obviously wants to sacrifice Evie and her friends, both to hurt the residents of Miracle and show the world it wasn't spared from pain. Just not sure how it's going to play out. There was an ultra brief flash back, almost like seeing the demon face in The Exorcist, to the bridge, that seemed to show the trailer on the bridge, I need to watch it again, a reviewer commented that it gave a hint as to what is going to happen.

I think she just wanted to **** with him. She knows he's screwed up mentally, she's just keeping it going.

I was thinking Meg might get the girls to hang themselves from the bridge because when Kevin is dead there was that guy telling him to hang himself from the bridge. Just guessing.

That's the best acting I've ever seen from Liv Tyler. Didn't know she had it in her.

At this point I feel it's my duty to inform you that you're willfully ******* up in big way by not watching Fargo. Like every review I read now at some point the critic stops to say they can't believe how good the show is. Shotfather, remember years back when I told you that you absolutely had to start watching Breaking Bad? Well that's the territory we're in now.

Great episode. Meg is scary as ****. What the **** did Meg mean when she told Tommy she was trying to get him pregnant? lol

Maybe she just meant it as a metaphor, like she wanted to get him pregnant with an idea that would lead to him leaving his mother and her crusade to take members away from the GR.

I just re-watched this episode and just now caught that Meg's ringtone on her cell phone is a cricket chirping. Don't know the significance of it, but there it is.

Also, I wonder how long Evie and her friends have been undercover GR. That shot of them being completely silent in the car makes a lot more sense knowing that their bubbly happy personalities was all an act.

I'm so nervous about what is going to happen Sunday. My heart's going to be pounding so hard when the episode starts. 75 minutes for the finale too.

Edited by The Shotfather

Maybe she just meant it as a metaphor, like she wanted to get him pregnant with an idea that would lead to him leaving his mother and her crusade to take members away from the GR.

I just re-watched this episode and just now caught that Meg's ringtone on her cell phone is a cricket chirping. Don't know the significance of it, but there it is.

Also, I wonder how long Evie and her friends have been undercover GR. That shot of them being completely silent in the car makes a lot more sense knowing that their bubbly happy personalities was all an act.

I'm so nervous about what is going to happen Sunday. My heart's going to be pounding so hard when the episode starts. 75 minutes for the finale too.

Still not sure why they ran naked through the woods.

I expect the finale to be as intense as Ozymandias.

Fantastic article about why Damon Lindelof is the bravest writer in TV right now:

http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/12/why-damon-lindelof-is-the-bravest-writer-in-television-right-now/

Reading interviews with Damon Lindelof and Tom Perotta is why I **** on The Walking Dead so much. The amount of meticulous detail and research that they describe in interviews is what every single storyteller should aspire to, especially when you're telling a story through a group of writers.

Details matter, regardless of what genre you're writing in. Details matter in a drama-driven character study, and they matter in a medieval fantasy and they matter in a show about zombies. They just do, and for people to act like they don't and just say "This is a show about zombies dude, turn your brain off."

1. I don't know what that means, or how to turn my brain off.

2. Why the **** should I do that, when it's well within a show's means to deliver a great story? It doesn't matter what your show is about, it should be treated with the utmost respect and seriousness in the writer's room.

There was another article I read last week where Lindelof talked about having to earn episodes like "International Assassin" and how an episode like that can absolutely destroy a show.

Every future show runner of every future show should be studying and taking copious amounts of notes on what Lindelof is doing with The Leftovers.

Taking Kevin back to the hotel (not to mention killing him in the middle of the episode) was ******* brilliant.

I caught the feels when Mary woke up.

Kevin had me cracking up when he woke up there and just screamed "MOTHER****ER!!!! I'm not doing this **** again."

This really felt like a series finale, but in the way that Face Off felt like a series finale for Breaking Bad. There's a lot of stuff that can still be explored, but it would be completely satisfying if they said this was the end.

I've been trying to think of how they could continue the story. I never would have guessed this season was how they would have continued from season 1, you would have assumed they would have stayed in Mapleton and dealt with a continuing conflict between the Garvey's and the Meg-lead GR.

On a maco-level, there are numerous things they could explore. In season 1, there was a strongly-hinted at government conspiracy regarding the cults - the place where the bodies were sent and disposed of - which was furthered when Kevin was let go after turning himself in for having Patti's body. There is the reaction to the destruction of Jarden, both at a local, national, and world-wide level. Will that further empower the GR? I think if the story skipped ahead a year, we could see a GR politician. It seemed insane in International Assassin, but I don't think it would be that far fetched at all.

But this show is about the micro level, the characters. With Kevin, I'm not sure what else they can believably put him through without him losing someone he loves. He finally realized he loves his family and wants to be with them, he got rid of Patti. I don't think they can keep killing him and resurrecting him, and maybe only his dad would make sense if he started seeing a dead person again (though we don't know if Sr. is alive or dead, that was a brilliant thing to leave open-ended).

With Nora, there's still a lot there. The reason they moved to Jarden was so that she could feel safe, but with the revelations about how her old house, or even she could have been a conduit for the departure, and the destruction of Jarden, leaves her in a vulnerable place again.

And the Murphy's, how do they deal with Evie being in the GR? John and Erika finally reached their breaking point before Evie was found, it would be interesting to see how that works out going forward.