Lowery Vs Southward

I've never thought Lowery was all that good. IMO he is just ok. He stays injured and really was released by Jax bc they liked 6th rd rookie Josh Evans more. He was drafted in the 4th which is probably where Southward shouldve been also.

I think right now we are going with Lowery bc he's a vet. I won't be surprised tho if Southward is starting sooner than later once he starts to get it mentally. I do think that TD was blown away by Southward's w/o and size tho. He's always liked speed and this year we want more size too. So Southward fits both of those. But I wouldve prefered Brooks. But I believe Southward won't take long to get it mentally and will be starting sooner than ppl think.

I like Southward. I mean his physical capacity alone is impressive. He is of course a really smart kid as well. I don't know if I believe he will be starting so quickly without an injury to Lowrey first though.

I am fine with Lowrey starting atm. I think he is an automatic upgrade to Decoud. I'm not super worried about our FS being a ball hawk right now either. I will be more than happy with good tackling and proper angles with decent coverage skills. I think Lowrey can be that guy for us this year if he stays healthy that is. I think he will work as a good stop gap while we get Southward some experience and play time.

I will be ecstatic on the other hand if Southward does pick everything up quickly and win the job. I will have to see more of him before I believe he does.

Here's to hoping and seeing more of what we got in preseason.

Problem I have with Southward...he was not a playmaker in college...he played in like 50 games, 2 picks...one of which bounced off the WR's hands into his arms, another where he fielded the interception like a punt fair catch.

He's got the skills, the brains, but I hope he has some playmaking instincts too.

Problem I have with Southward...he was not a playmaker in college...he played in like 50 games, 2 picks...one of which bounced off the WR's hands into his arms, another where he fielded the interception like a punt fair catch.

He's got the skills, the brains, but I hope he has some playmaking instincts too.

Maybe he was just doing his job and his numbers prove that. Clay Matthews had horrible stats in college and barely started but look at him now.

This is a refreshing post just because it's not a troll circle jerk.

I know so little about both Lowery and Southward that I honestly just want the best man in camp to win the job which is exactly what will happen. I'm a happy camper either way because we got rid of the cancer that was Decoud and either of those guys will be an upgrade. Plus if our front 7 can actually collapse the pocket and create pressure, they will look even better. Our secondary with Moore, Tru, Alford, and the fierce competition at NB will mask a lot of poor play by the FS as long as they take good angles and can actually tackle someone.

I wasnt able to find a ton of tape on him but the few games I was able to watch suggested that his playmaking ability was a bit underrated. I saw him have two near INTs that were taken back by a penalty away from the ball or were poor calls by the officials. Like I said, it was only a couple of games but I it put me at ease.

Plus, I don't know that the role he played in the defense would have provided him as much opportunity to make plays on the ball as he will see here.

I've never thought Lowery was all that good. IMO he is just ok. He stays injured and really was released by Jax bc they liked 6th rd rookie Josh Evans more. He was drafted in the 4th which is probably where Southward shouldve been also.

I think right now we are going with Lowery bc he's a vet. I won't be surprised tho if Southward is starting sooner than later once he starts to get it mentally. I do think that TD was blown away by Southward's w/o and size tho. He's always liked speed and this year we want more size too. So Southward fits both of those. But I wouldve prefered Brooks. But I believe Southward won't take long to get it mentally and will be starting sooner than ppl think.

I'm gonna disagree with your first statement. No way Lowery is some kind of HOF'er or anything, but I think that he is actually very good. His problem, of course is that he can't stay healthy. A healthy Lowery, giving ATL 16 games, is a great way to bring Southward along and ease him into the system and into the NFL speed of play. But, trying to be realistic, I don't expect Lowery to stay healthy, so you're probably right about Southward getting his chance sooner than later.

Lowery is not just experienced. He is a very good safety. Injuries are the only reason he hasn't established himself more in the league. IMO there is no chance Southward takes his spot outside of an injury. Southward is a coin flip to ever become a starter at this point.

Listening to Jay Adams.... Both are looking good so far...

Since we have a young Secondary i think Lowery will most def start ... I really want to see what Southward can do in the preseason tho.... Im excited about his skillset and the fact that Coach Smith said they have to find a way to get Southward on the field. Big Nickle maybe.

I know Coach nolan says he want his Safeties to worry about just playing safety but if Southward Develop... I would line Willie Mo as a ILB in some of my nickle packages...

Lowery is not just experienced. He is a very good safety. Injuries are the only reason he hasn't established himself more in the league. IMO there is no chance Southward takes his spot outside of an injury. Southward is a coin flip to ever become a starter at this point.

Jets fans talking about Lowery

http://forums.jetnat...let-go-by-jags/

http://forums.thegan...-by-jags.79485/

We will see what we have but just going by the Jets fans... They seem to think he is a good Safety ... PFF had him as a good coverage guy.

IDk what the guy can do... didnt watch him alot but he seem like a good coverage Safety that hasnt been able to stay healthy ... Jets fans wondering why they let him walk.... My guess is by his comments of thinking he should have been a little more humble when he was younger.... Maybe he rubbed Rex the wrong way (what one of the jets poster hinted) .. It seem like its all about his heath.

Regardless... Hearing Jay, Mashburn and the other writers opinions on what they saw at the FS position... I feel much better.... Cant wait to see HardKnocks and the preseason

I see this playing out similar to the way the Coleman/DeCoud thing did a few years back. I think that's what TD had in mind when he signed Lowery. Lowery starts this year and hopefully performs well like Coleman did. Eventually though they'll look for Southward to win the starting job but that's probably at least a season away.

Wasnt Lowrey like the 12 highest rated safety when he was healthy? Either or is a whole of a lot better than the 84th rated decouldnt

I think it was higher than that.....

These are the types of players that are frequently difference makers for high quality teams. Guys who salvage their careers after being undervalued. Its a low risk high reward move. If he can give us 10+ games of quality play, he'll be worth the money.

To be fair, Thomas DeCoud only had 1 pick at Cal and he managed to do well finding the ball for INT's