Joe Delaney, A True Hero....

jb 3.0

Dayum jb, I remember that like it was yesterday. But 31 years ago? Man we are getting old rather quickly!

What a selfless act he performed and a true hero he was!

Yeah, I remember we were moving that summer, and heard a blurb on the radio, then read about it the next day. Long before you got your news immediately, like we do today. Too bad more don't remember him and what and who he was. WATCH THE VIDEO!!!

Before my time.

I was alive then, but just a itty bitty baby.

Really? So it's like it never happened? One of the other Panther fans said the same thing a few days ago.

Guys like Joe Delaney are the whole reason you're able to watch and appreciate the game today! The guy was 24, and had the world by the balls, only to die saving some kids life. When I was your age, I couldn't get enough of the old NFL film clips, and players, and what they were like and what they did, how they played. But, I'm a bit of a history buff anyway.

You younger guys.....and girls are really missing the boat, not keeping up with this stuff, or at least studying a bit of what went down and what the NFL was like 30, 40 or 50 years ago.

For example, back in the 70's and early 80's, before ESPN and before ESPN started televising the draft, and there was little to no draft coverage on the radio, aside from the occasional update. I used to go down to One Buc Place and hang around out front on draft day and talk to the various people that were going in and out to see what we were doing or possibly who we were gonna draft. Imagine having to do that TODAY? That's how much this game and the coverage has changed, just in the last 35 years or so!

I just registered here so I could thank y'all for reminding me of this man. It wasn't just that he did it, but how he did it. Many people die heroes ... cops ... firemen, etc as part of their jobs. And I'm sure I would see little hesitation for a father or mother. But for strangers, I'd second guess myself. My hubby wouldn't, he dragged a girl out of a burning car with no thoughts or regrets. I guess men like them have a special gene that says "turn off the brain". I like seeing Joe remembered. In fact I think Joe should be remembered at Canton. Once again, thank you for jogging my not so crepit mind.

I just registered here so I could thank y'all for reminding me of this man. It wasn't just that he did it, but how he did it. Many people die heroes ... cops ... firemen, etc as part of their jobs. And I'm sure I would see little hesitation for a father or mother. But for strangers, I'd second guess myself. My hubby wouldn't, he dragged a girl out of a burning car with no thoughts or regrets. I guess men like them have a special gene that says "turn off the brain". I like seeing Joe remembered. In fact I think Joe should be remembered at Canton. Once again, thank you for jogging my not so crepit mind.

Welcome! You should post more often. We don't have enough women posting here. Just don't let some of the more ignorant (they know who they are) get to you.

Again...Welcome to RC! If you love football and know just enough to be dangerous, this is a good place to learn more and help the rest of us figure out some of the **** we find posted here!wink.png

Welcome! You should post more often. We don't have enough women posting here. Just don't let some of the more ignorant (they know who they are) get to you.

Again...Welcome to RC! If you love football and know just enough to be dangerous, this is a good place to learn more and help the rest of us figure out some of the **** we find posted here!wink.png

Amen and Amen!

Before my time.

I was alive then, but just a itty bitty baby.

Really? So it's like it never happened? One of the other Panther fans said the same thing a few days ago.

Guys like Joe Delaney are the whole reason you're able to watch and appreciate the game today! The guy was 24, and had the world by the balls, only to die saving some kids life. When I was your age, I couldn't get enough of the old NFL film clips, and players, and what they were like and what they did, how they played. But, I'm a bit of a history buff anyway.

You younger guys.....and girls are really missing the boat, not keeping up with this stuff, or at least studying a bit of what went down and what the NFL was like 30, 40 or 50 years ago.

For example, back in the 70's and early 80's, before ESPN and before ESPN started televising the draft, and there was little to no draft coverage on the radio, aside from the occasional update. I used to go down to One Buc Place and hang around out front on draft day and talk to the various people that were going in and out to see what we were doing or possibly who we were gonna draft. Imagine having to do that TODAY? That's how much this game and the coverage has changed, just in the last 35 years or so!

I have heard of the name before, but I wasn't born yet at that time. sad story though.

I have heard of the name before, but I wasn't born yet at that time. sad story though.

My problem is with those that don't think the people that came before them are relevant to todays society. They're the ones that shaped the world, good or bad, and Joe Delany was definitely one of the good ones! It amazes me that he's not given the recognition he deserves!

NawlinsLady said it best!

It wasn't just that he did it, but how he did it. Many people die heroes ... cops ... firemen, etc as part of their jobs. And I'm sure I would see little hesitation for a father or mother. But for strangers, I'd second guess myself. My hubby wouldn't, he dragged a girl out of a burning car with no thoughts or regrets. I guess men like them have a special gene that says "turn off the brain". I like seeing Joe remembered. In fact I think Joe should be remembered at Canton.

My problem is with those that don't think the people that came before them are relevant to todays society. They're the ones that shaped the world, good or bad, and Joe Delany was definitely one of the good ones! It amazes me that he's not given the recognition he deserves!

NawlinsLady said it best!

I am aware of people who came before, there are a lot who have died saving people who still aren't known.

but this is a feel good story about one sacrificing everything for others.

but most of us are not ignorant to heroes who came before we were born. But others only know of sports heroes and don't know about true heroes.

Do you know of pfc mcginnis?

there are a lot of stories about people saving others lives, not because you are trained but because it is the human thing.

I feel bad for Delaney's family but to make a comment that you have a problem with people who don't know of heroes who gave their life saving others before they were born is pretty absurd.

how would we know about this man unless it was made public recently or during our time?

nothing against you by any means, but dont feel that most of us do not feel for people who died for a noble cause before us. People do that everyday and I am pretty sure you do not know who they are. Most of us know of our american history, but to know about all the other people who sacrificed themselves for the greater good would be something impossible to comprehend.

you only know about it because it is sports related. what about military? what about school teachers who took bullets to save their students? are they still no named or are they not relevant?

just because we didn't know about this guy does not mean he is not relevant in today's society; it just means we did not know about him and we should not be faulted for not knowing.

you gave us education on this guy, you should be proud instead of upset that we didn't know about him because it was before our time.

I am aware of people who came before, there are a lot who have died saving people who still aren't known.

but this is a feel good story about one sacrificing everything for others.

but most of us are not ignorant to heroes who came before we were born. But others only know of sports heroes and don't know about true heroes.

Do you know of pfc mcginnis?

there are a lot of stories about people saving others lives, not because you are trained but because it is the human thing.

I feel bad for Delaney's family but to make a comment that you have a problem with people who don't know of heroes who gave their life saving others before they were born is pretty absurd.

how would we know about this man unless it was made public recently or during our time?

nothing against you by any means, but dont feel that most of us do not feel for people who died for a noble cause before us. People do that everyday and I am pretty sure you do not know who they are. Most of us know of our american history, but to know about all the other people who sacrificed themselves for the greater good would be something impossible to comprehend.

you only know about it because it is sports related. what about military? what about school teachers who took bullets to save their students? are they still no named or are they not relevant?

just because we didn't know about this guy does not mean he is not relevant in today's society; it just means we did not know about him and we should not be faulted for not knowing.

you gave us education on this guy, you should be proud instead of upset that we didn't know about him because it was before our time.

My comment was directed at one of the Panthers fans that made the comment in another thread, that whatever happened in the NFL before he was born is irrelevant to him. I know he's not alone here with that point of view. Wasn't calling anyone out, simply stating my belief.

My comment was directed at one of the Panthers fans that made the comment in another thread, that whatever happened in the NFL before he was born is irrelevant to him. I know he's not alone here with that point of view. Wasn't calling anyone out, simply stating my belief.

got ya, my bad.

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I do have to say right out that I am a Saints fan. Y'all can blame my parents, both were big football followers. When we lived in Texas we went to both Cowboys and Oilers games. Then we moved to Mississippi (the waste land). As soon as my dad found out about the Saints he bought season tickets. That opening kick and Gilliams return hooked me. I was 11-12 years old. But there was another reason I watched football on TV during that time period. Roman Gabriel! He was so purty and one heck of a QB! I've been seeing posts about best QB WR, Gabriel to Snow was nothing to laugh at. Anyway, I've been with the Saints since the beginning. I hope y'all won't hold that against me tooo much.

I also should tell you I've been lurking around here for several months. And I mean here, that other place is down right scary! Anyway, I've enjoyed lurking here and look forward to some good football talk!

Thanks for taking me in.

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I do have to say right out that I am a Saints fan. Y'all can blame my parents, both were big football followers. When we lived in Texas we went to both Cowboys and Oilers games. Then we moved to Mississippi (the waste land). As soon as my dad found out about the Saints he bought season tickets. That opening kick and Gilliams return hooked me. I was 11-12 years old. But there was another reason I watched football on TV during that time period. Roman Gabriel! He was so purty and one heck of a QB! I've been seeing posts about best QB WR, Gabriel to Snow was nothing to laugh at. Anyway, I've been with the Saints since the beginning. I hope y'all won't hold that against me tooo much.

I also should tell you I've been lurking around here for several months. And I mean here, that other place is down right scary! Anyway, I've enjoyed lurking here and look forward to some good football talk!

Thanks for taking me in.

Again Welcome! I grew up in Baton Rouge back in the late 50's & early 60's after we moved from Texas. We moved before the Saints were around, but my folks had season tickets for LSU.

You'll find a few long time fans here, be it Saints, Falcons, Panthers or Bucs, and you're bound to see some pretty outrageous claims here, by any one of us. Have fun, and don't take this place or the regulars that post here too serious. But you really can learn a lot about the other teams in the NFC South.