Robert Alford.....my Favorite Cb

2013: When Dimitroff phoned around for information before this year’s draft, he asked a few people he trusted if they’d heard anybody projecting Alford in the first round. No, he heard. He was thrilled. Normally, he might have used some draft capitol to move to be sure he’d get Alford. But he figured he probably wouldn’t have to. And there he was, at 60. Dimitroff followed Trufant at 22 with Alford, and was thrilled to have two players he felt were first-round values—at least for his team, at this time.

“We took a trip to Hammond, La., where Robert went to school, before the draft to work him out and interview him,” Smith said. “We saw a few things. He had excellent ball skills, and we thought he could be a candidate to be a returner for us. He’s not afraid. Even though he went to a smaller school than Desmond, we thought he showed the elements in coverage and toughness you need to play in the league.”

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/08/desmond-trufant-robert-alford/

Edited by ike barn87987

TD has missed in the draft some... But these last 2 drafts looks very nice .... We need a star rusher tho TD.

I was a fan of tru... I wanted him but didnt want to move up... I really like Alford to... I just knew coming from the level he came from... There would be an adjustment .... I love what im hearing about him this offseason... I really do tho we have 2 up incoming CBs

Could be one of the better CB combo's with some improvement and a better pass rush

Alf just gotta get a bit more disciplined. He has the athleticism to be a supreme playmaker

discipline should come when he gets more experience and start trusting his film study. You are usually undisciplined when you are either unsure of what you are doing and just a complete risk taker.

TD has missed in the draft some... But these last 2 drafts looks very nice .... We need a star rusher tho TD.

I was a fan of tru... I wanted him but didnt want to move up... I really like Alford to... I just knew coming from the level he came from... There would be an adjustment .... I love what im hearing about him this offseason... I really do tho we have 2 up incoming CBs

Could be one of the better CB combo's with some improvement and a better pass rush

I agree, up until the 2013 Draft Thomas has been very mediocre in the draft and in finding free agents. But, something changed in 2013 and 2014, almost half the roster is made up of acquisitions from this and last year's draft, UDF, and FAs. This massive infusion of talent will pay big dividends in a year or two if Ryan can stay healthy.

Something has changed, these acquisitions seem to have come from a different mind-set, FO personel, or TD's maturation, hard to pinpoint. The 2013 acquisitions were not necessarily knee-jerk reactions either, like 2014 was, we were coming off a 13-3 season.

Cornerback is not an easy position to play especially when you go from the receivers Alford faced in his college conference to the likes of veteran NFL receivers. Had Alford been the first rounder last year I would have still been excited that we hit on a first round pick. The fact that we got Tru in front of him is even better. Alford is going to be more than fine IMO and both should be Falcons for a long time holding down the corner position.

I agree, up until the 2013 Draft Thomas has been very mediocre in the draft and in finding free agents. But, something changed in 2013 and 2014, almost half the roster is made up of acquisitions from this and last year's draft, UDF, and FAs. This massive infusion of talent will pay big dividends in a year or two if Ryan can stay healthy.

Something has changed, these acquisitions seem to have come from a different mind-set, FO personel, or TD's maturation, hard to pinpoint. The 2013 acquisitions were not necessarily knee-jerk reactions either, like 2014 was, we were coming off a 13-3 season.

I think TD sometimes over think it ... I think he almost over thought it trying to trade up to the 3rd spot for Jake Matthews... You see he thought about trading up for Alford according to the article.

I think at times he over thought it and tried to get to pretty .....

Love his potential but absolutely afraid for him this upcoming season. Without much in the way of a proven, reliable FS I think Alford continues to struggle. He literally has zero room for error and will have multiple games this season where people are pointing the finger at him. Had ATL picked up one of the rangy FS free agents I'd have been a lot more comfortable.

He can learn a lot from Tru when it comes to studying film. I love having a young CB duo that can hype each other up. Tru at his peak could be a Patrick Surtain-type CB while Alford has a Terrence Newman-like skill set (He's nowhere near as polished as Newman was mentally tho).

2013: When Dimitroff phoned around for information before this year's draft, he asked a few people he trusted if they'd heard anybody projecting Alford in the first round. No, he heard. He was thrilled. Normally, he might have used some draft capitol to move to be sure he'd get Alford. But he figured he probably wouldn't have to. And there he was, at 60. Dimitroff followed Trufant at 22 with Alford, and was thrilled to have two players he felt were first-round values—at least for his team, at this time.

"We took a trip to Hammond, La., where Robert went to school, before the draft to work him out and interview him," Smith said. "We saw a few things. He had excellent ball skills, and we thought he could be a candidate to be a returner for us. He's not afraid. Even though he went to a smaller school than Desmond, we thought he showed the elements in coverage and toughness you need to play in the league."

http://mmqb.si.com/2...-robert-alford/

I've said many times on this board since last year's draft that Alford is going to end up being the better of the 2 CB's. Trufant played better than I expected though, but I still think Alford will end his career as the better CB of the 2.

I think TD sometimes over think it ... I think he almost over thought it trying to trade up to the 3rd spot for Jake Matthews... You see he thought about trading up for Alford according to the article.

I think at times he over thought it and tried to get to pretty .....

That's kind of been my problem with TD lately. I can only hope that Pioli is a voice of reason in the war room on draft day. Once Watkins and Bortles went so early, you knew we could get Matthews or Lewan, so why trade up?

Also in response to OP, I love Alford's ceiling, but after this whole thing

52.gif

I was sold on Trufant. Dude is going to be good.

That's kind of been my problem with TD lately. I can only hope that Pioli is a voice of reason in the war room on draft day. Once Watkins and Bortles went so early, you knew we could get Matthews or Lewan, so why trade up?

52.gif

I could watch that gif all day. The youngster has a bright future if he keeps it together

52.gif

Ppl felt Matthews was better then Lewan..... But it was still no need to trade up ..