Put The Ball In Matt's Hands

Found a good article that talks about the key to our success being, you guessed it, Matt Ryan's arm. He's rapidly becoming one of the very best in the league to all who care to look. The guy averaged +67 comp% for the last 2 years despite a big bump in passing attempts.

To be fair, some of that is due to some shorter passes and Koetter's offense design. But there is no denying that all of it can't be explained by scheme, alot of it has to do with Matt's skill.

I think the biggest key to the season will be our receivers health and the O-line. That's because I have very few questions about Matt. He's solid and I expect a monster season if the pieces all line up. Check out this article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/55676/falcons-will-thrive-by-living-in-the-pass

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Matt didn't have S Jax last year, who was he checking down to when he set his career high in pass completion %?

Here's the actual proof that he doesn't check down NEARLY the most in the league. Why does he lead the league in Comp % again:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

Checks downs to rbs

Look how many completions go to rbs

he has no balls and doesn't attempt deep passes and just checks down

educate yourself MD

Check completions to Sjax , Quizz , Snelling

Found a good article that talks about the key to our success being, you guessed it, Matt Ryan's arm. He's rapidly becoming one of the very best in the league to all who care to look. The guy averaged +67 comp% for the last 2 years despite a big bump in passing attempts.

To be fair, some of that is due to some shorter passes and Koetter's offense design. But there is no denying that all of it can't be explained by scheme, alot of it has to do with Matt's skill.

I think the biggest key to the season will be our receivers health and the O-line. That's because I have very few questions about Matt. He's solid and I expect a monster season if the pieces all line up. Check out this article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/55676/falcons-will-thrive-by-living-in-the-pass

Snelling 1st in dvoa lol

"at their best when Ryan is throwing deep"

When is that exactly?

The most he's thrown deep is 56 times...as a rookie. Ryan has never surpassed that. Even with Julio. Andrew luck went deep 92 times as a rookie.

I am beginning to think "deep" in Atlanta isn't the same as "deep" in other cities.

"at their best when Ryan is throwing deep"

When is that exactly?

The most he's thrown deep is 56 times...as a rookie. Ryan has never surpassed that. Even with Julio. Andrew luck went deep 92 times as a rookie.

I am beginning to think "deep" in Atlanta isn't the same as "deep" in other cities.

Do deep throws define a QB? Or is it Yds, Comp%, TDs and wins. All of which would likely go to Ryan over Luck. Stop it. That's not even mentioning the pansy division he plays in. You're joking right?

Do deep throws define a QB? Or is it Yds, Comp%, TDs and wins. All of which would likely go to Ryan over Luck. Stop it. That's not even mentioning the pansy division he plays in. You're joking right?

the article sets out the premise that Atlanta is best when Ryan throws deep. Did you read that sentence?

I am just wondering when that is, because Ryan has one of the lowest deep percentages in the league. Well below 10%. In the 7-8% range. Near Alex smith.

So I am just wondering what the author is talking about, because Ryan doesn't really go deep much.

Ryan was third behind Brees and Stafford in passes to Rbs. That is a lot. Sorry if facts cloud your bias.

Well duh like I said in the other post brad matt throws the ball more so naturally he's gonna have more attempts to RBs.

What's funny is percentage wise Flacco targeted his RBs the same as Ryan. Guess Flacco checks down a lot too

Its super difficult to map a pass:run ratio ahead of time. So much of the contribution running the ball makes is when you have a lead. So if we were to spend most of the season with a lead, I'd expect something closer to 50/50. If we're trailing most of the time, I'd expect closer to last year.

Ideally, I'd like to see a high 50s pass, low 40s run. Not a total imbalance, but definitely more pass heavy.

I think more no huddle would help too.

I played D, so I do not know what a QB goes through. But I will put it like this, if a QB goes through his reads and cannot find an open WR, but can spot his open RB, it will make the D adjust and try and take away his short game.

Once the D adjusts, the QB will often have more room to go over the top and burn the D who have started to play in.

In today's NFL, RB's NEED to be able to catch out of the backfield more than take the hand off. Just ask Mike Turner....

Anyway, throwing to an RB is becoming a sure thing now, why do you think Sproles gets more attention than he should? Because he runs up the middle?