Curious

Durrtay

Cooks missed most of OTAs because he had to finish his last semester of college

however, the day or two that he was out there a lot of players were impressed by his speed. He is in San Diego working out with Brees before training camp atm

ASJ is in the same boat as Cooks. He couldn't leave until he finished the semester Washington. Some are saying that's puttin' him way behind our other TEs, We'll see. Evans was bothered by a hammy early on, but seems to be adjusting well, and learning how to run routes with NFL crispness. He's still far from being our #1 receiver, Jackson has that nailed down.

Benjamin has looked pretty good so far. Already had quite a number of "wow" catches (jumping one handed snags in double coverage, etc.) according to the people that were there. He's been putting in the work off the field too hanging out with whoever he can to soak up the playbook and build chemistry with Cam. Decided to stay in Charlotte during this month vacation before training camp to still get a heads up on training camp instead of taking time off.

So far it seems he's looked about as good as you'd hope for a rookie receiver. Garnering praise from pretty much everyone.

Benjamin has looked pretty good so far. Already had quite a number of "wow" catches (jumping one handed snags in double coverage, etc.) according to the people that were there. He's been putting in the work off the field too hanging out with whoever he can to soak up the playbook and build chemistry with Cam. Decided to stay in Charlotte during this month vacation before training camp to still get a heads up on training camp instead of taking time off.

So far it seems he's looked about as good as you'd hope for a rookie receiver. Garnering praise from pretty much everyone.

What about Avant?

Marcus Smith is being thrown a lot of responsibilities but seems to be picking it up well. All of the coaches are pleased with where he is so far and his athleticism is great. There has even been discussion about DROY.

Man you're really taking this thing to town. Do you cruise their boards for material lol

What about Avant?

I don't know, they haven't talked about the vets we brought in too much other than they've been mentoring the younger guys as much as they can (which is a huge reason we brought Avant and J-Co in). Aside from him catching pretty much everything, they've just mainly talked about the leadership him and Cotchery brings to the WR corps - and helping the young guys with their routes, sinking their hips, tips and tricks against NFL DBs, etc.

I love the versatility Cooks could bring to this offense not to mention the incredible speed he possesses, which was lacking in the team IMO last season. Now, with this being said, most rookie WRs struggle their first season, and I think that will happen to Cooks for the first half of the season, and him rounding into form around the end of the season. I'm hoping for a Kenny Stills type rookie season, which would be more than satisfactory (for me anyway)

Edited by meezy0236

I don't know, they haven't talked about the vets we brought in too much other than they've been mentoring the younger guys as much as they can (which is a huge reason we brought Avant and J-Co in). Aside from him catching pretty much everything, they've just mainly talked about the leadership him and Cotchery brings to the WR corps - and helping the young guys with their routes, sinking their hips, tips and tricks against NFL DBs, etc.

Underwood's capable of some big things, but he needs help from the other 2 receivers in order to make those plays. He gets that help, and you're receivers may be a pleasant surprise.

Underwood's capable of some big things, but he needs help from the other 2 receivers in order to make those plays. He gets that help, and you're receivers may be a pleasant surprise.

I like his speed, but it takes a lot more than that to be a successful receiver in this league (see Ted Ginn until we got a hold of him). If he's part of the final 53 I like the idea of him and Benjamin being on the field together. Underwood stretching the field, and KB just being naturally big as ****, with either sure-handed Cotchery or Avant in the slot. We're also going back to a lot of 2TE sets this year (Brady and Belichick's favorite system, and the one we used Cam's rookie year).

I think our receiving unit will be better than people expect. They need to prove it, but I think it'll easily be better than last year's group.

I love the versatility Cooks could bring to this offense not to mention the incredible speed he possesses, which was lacking in the team IMO last season. Now, with this being said, most rookie WRs struggle their first season, and I think that will happen to Cooks for the first half of the season, and him rounding into form around the end of the season. I'm hoping for a Kenny Stills type rookie season, which would be more than satisfactory (for me anyway)

i dont see cooks struggling in the beggining of the season, i can see him putting up some decent numbers this year. if your expectations are NFCS leader in receiving yards, you can forget that. but that doesnt mean he wont be effective early and often.

I wish there was a way we could have nabbed him and Benjamin

i dont see cooks struggling in the beggining of the season, i can see him putting up some decent numbers this year. if your expectations are NFCS leader in receiving yards, you can forget that. but that doesnt mean he wont be effective early and often.

I think he will contribute a bit, but I think he will also stuggle a bit in the early part of the season i.e, some drops, run the wrong route or not crisp in his route running, probably struggle with downfield blocking. Now, I hope I'm wrong and he just absolutely tears it up the whole season, but I honestly don't believe that's realistic......possible, but not likely.

Cooks has the potential to be the best WR in this class, a true home run threat. Was not happy to see him go to NOLA ....not that worried about Benjamin, I think he will struggle in Carolina just like all the rest of their high WR draft picks.

Until Benjamin the highest we've ever drafted a receiver since 1997 was the middle of the 2nd round... and we've literally only done that 2 times since 1997. All our other picks were later round players. It's not like we have some notorious history with drafting receivers high and them busting... we just typically haven't taken chances on them much at all.

Can't wait for Benjamin to dish out a lot of crow around here this season.

I see a lot of bubble screens coming his way.

Small,speedy receiver who's got patience getting behind blockers...defenses won't be able to see him.

SP should get creative with Cooks this season, he's really good at creating mismatches so I expect him to contribute right away, assuming he doesn't suffer any injuries. He's looked good in his limited participation in OTA's according to sources. By now you already know he couldn't participate the first couple weeks, but at least he's trying to cover some ground by working out with Drew in San Diego. I'm curious to know how McCown has looked in TB, can anyone fill me in?