3 Falcons That Will Surprise

I wanted to get the boards opinion on this. I have come up with a list of the 3 players I expect to surprise many fans this season. I have given reasoning why I feel this way, I'd like to hear your 3 breakout Falcons in the replies!

1. DE/DT Tyson Jackson - Derrick Johnson, Justin Houston, Tamba Hali, and Dontari Poe. All players were voted or named as reserves to the Pro Bowl. The key denominator to the success over all these players careers is DE Tyson Jackson. While his numbers would indicate a bust at first glance, the success Tyson Jackson has is usually not noticed on box scores. He penetrates, disrupts, clogs holes, etc. he is the typical 3-4 DE Run Stuffing Space Eater. Having him next to Soliai will free up our LBers to make plays in the run and pass game. Expect Tyson Jackson to be one of the emotional leaders of this team.

2. ILB Paul Worrilow - The Man. The Myth. The Legend. It is well documented Mr. Worrilow has bulked up since last season. He is also an eager student of the game, you could say a film room junkie. That information along with the improved Dline and the growth after the experience of year 1, is why I expect Worrilow to emerge as the next young, stud LBer this league will see. While essentially missing the first 4 or 5 games, he still finished 127 tackles and displayed surprising athleticism. Paul has gotten stronger, bigger, and faster since last season ended. Excpect him to put up double digit tacking games on a regular basis this year. My bold prediction for the year is that Paul will lead the league in tackles this season. Not bad for an undrafted LBer from Delaware.

3. CB Robert Alford - While Alford was noticeably outplayed by Trufant last season, it was well known that it would take a little longer for Alford to adjust to the NFL than Trufant, due to his competition level in college. While he wasn't as consistent as Trufant, he showed just as much potential. Alford will get another training camp to fine tune his skills against a hungry duo of Roddy and Julio. That, along with the elite athleticism Alford hones, is the reason why I see Alford ending the year considered as a top 15 CB, to go along with Trufant, who i consider to be in the talk for top 5-6 CB's after this season. The QB's in this league will learn quickly about the dynamic, athletic freaks at CB that Atlanta will throw out every Sunday afternoon. The perimeters of this defense looks to be in great condition, unlike the New Orleans Levee circa 2005.

Edited by ChevisJackson

alford didn't get outplayed by trufant...trufant started the season, but alford came on strong and took asante samuel off the field. they both had 1 forced fumble, and 2 picks....things look good for out secondary.

jackson is gonna be a role player for us....kinda like the guy in basketball that rebounds, sets picks, and plays defense....he is not the all star but we definitely need him to get to the next level.

worrilow has great instincts...I don't care about all the other stuff....if you can smell the play, the rest can be fixed....he just needed to get a little stronger, which I think he did this offseason

alford didn't get outplayed by trufant...trufant started the season, but alford came on strong and took asante samuel off the field. they both had 1 forced fumble, and 2 picks....things look good for out secondary.

jackson is gonna be a role player for us....kinda like the guy in basketball that rebounds, sets picks, and plays defense....he is not the all star but we definitely need him to get to the next level.

worrilow has great instincts...I don't care about all the other stuff....if you can smell the play, the rest can be fixed....he just needed to get a little stronger, which I think he did this offseason

Trufant was clearly the better corner last year, Alford showed some promise but he also showed more lapses

Not expecting much from Jackson just hope he and PS live up to their dominant run stuffing reputations. The only aspect of our defense that has been worse than our pass rush has been our run defense.

I'm not as high on PW as most here. I feel like he's closer to a lofton type than a urlacher type. Just don't see him having too many game changing plays but he will get a ton of tackles.

We really need Alford to improve his coverage skills. He's gonna get targeted a lot early on and he has to answer the challenge if were going to be successful on defense

1. Alford - It is all about Tru in the media, but Alford will get the targets...and make the most of them.

2. Hawley - He has stable play at the other 4 spots finally, and I think h steps up big time.

3. Douglas - Most think he will fall back to mediocrity with Jones and White back, but I would not be shocked to see him w more grabs than one of our starters even come week 17.

my runner ups are: Bartu, Lowry & Biermann

Rocky is the playmaker and Tru is the technician.

Agreed. Perfect compliment.

My 3 surprises are

Bartu (I know Worrilow gets a lot of love and deservedly so but I see him as a player that does his job well but nothing more). I think Bartu's potential is insane and I expect to see him take the next step.

Alford: elite athleticism, reminds me of Patrick Peterson where he'll always be a little overrated but shows dominance at times. I expect him to take it to the next level. I know he's been working on discipline and technique this offseason so I'm looking forward to seeing it translate to the field.

Lowery: I think he'll be a very solid FS and I believe he'll stay healthy.

When talking about Jackson, you named a bunch of players who are mentioned with the best at their position. Do you not think it helped Jackson to play with players of their caliber?

I've watched Jackson since he was at LSU. He always had tremendous physical talent, he was just never as productive as he should have been. I've rooted for him for quite a while, but he's really nothing special. Just an average DT.

When talking about Jackson, you named a bunch of players who are mentioned with the best at their position. Do you not think it helped Jackson to play with players of their caliber?

I've watched Jackson since he was at LSU. He always had tremendous physical talent, he was just never as productive as he should have been. I've rooted for him for quite a while, but he's really nothing special. Just an average DT.

If he commands a double team in 3 man fronts he'll be doing his job. Pocket pushing and holding the point is the necessity.

Jerry. Watch him get a decent sack total this year.

Jaquizz. Bet he gets two 100 hundred yard games this year and 7 TD's.

Konz. He develops into a solid starter.

34 supplied the surprises OP asked for. The Lo Backers, Alford and Hawley can't surplise me. I hope he's right on all three.

If he commands a double team in 3 man fronts he'll be doing his job. Pocket pushing and holding the point is the necessity.

I don't know that he's going to command double teams. I think he'll do his job well in holding the point in the run game. He's not gonna push the pocket much or create pressure on the QB. I'm not saying it was a bad pick up, because the Falcons needed to get bigger up front. I think he'll fill his role well and do his job. I just don't think he's going to surprise anyone and will say anybody who expects him to will probably be disappointed, much like KC and LSU fans.

I think a lot of players will step up this year ... I think we will get back to the football we were playing in 2012 ... I expect the CB to look great and the secondary for that matter ... I think our line will get pressure up the middle I'm just concerned about those edges ...

Exactly what I was going to type

Our interior pressure is gonna be so nasty. All these people who wont stop beating the drum about *having* to have a star pass rusher are gonna see what real pressure looks like. That is how the Seahawks, Pats, Ravens, etc roll... Star pass rushers emerge cause they have time to hit the holes and get to the QB because of monster interior players.

Our interior pressure is gonna be so nasty. All these people who wont stop beating the drum about *having* to have a star pass rusher are gonna see what real pressure looks like. That is how the Seahawks, Pats, Ravens, etc roll... Star pass rushers emerge cause they have time to hit the holes and get to the QB because of monster interior players.

I'm excited to see it. We may not have a legit pass rusher on paper, but adding all this beef on the line AND drafting Hageman to play DE/DT and to see how he develops is going to be fun to watch. These guys on the line will collapse the pocket and give other guys opportunities to get more sacks. I pray that Hageman flourishes because he is my favorite pick in this draft. He plays mean and the only question with him was his ethic; he's proving that wrong in camps thus far. Coach Cox is perfect for developing him and I think he'll be a stud.

I wanted to get the boards opinion on this. I have come up with a list of the 3 players I expect to surprise many fans this season. I have given reasoning why I feel this way, I'd like to hear your 3 breakout Falcons in the replies!

1. DE/DT Tyson Jackson - Derrick Johnson, Justin Houston, Tamba Hali, and Dontari Poe. All players were voted or named as reserves to the Pro Bowl. The key denominator to the success over all these players careers is DE Tyson Jackson. While his numbers would indicate a bust at first glance, the success Tyson Jackson has is usually not noticed on box scores. He penetrates, disrupts, clogs holes, etc. he is the typical 3-4 DE Run Stuffing Space Eater. Having him next to Soliai will free up our LBers to make plays in the run and pass game. Expect Tyson Jackson to be one of the emotional leaders of this team.

2. ILB Paul Worrilow - The Man. The Myth. The Legend. It is well documented Mr. Worrilow has bulked up since last season. He is also an eager student of the game, you could say a film room junkie. That information along with the improved Dline and the growth after the experience of year 1, is why I expect Worrilow to emerge as the next young, stud LBer this league will see. While essentially missing the first 4 or 5 games, he still finished 127 tackles and displayed surprising athleticism. Paul has gotten stronger, bigger, and faster since last season ended. Excpect him to put up double digit tacking games on a regular basis this year. My bold prediction for the year is that Paul will lead the league in tackles this season. Not bad for an undrafted LBer from Delaware.

3. CB Robert Alford - While Alford was noticeably outplayed by Trufant last season, it was well known that it would take a little longer for Alford to adjust to the NFL than Trufant, due to his competition level in college. While he wasn't as consistent as Trufant, he showed just as much potential. Alford will get another training camp to fine tune his skills against a hungry duo of Roddy and Julio. That, along with the elite athleticism Alford hones, is the reason why I see Alford ending the year considered as a top 15 CB, to go along with Trufant, who i consider to be in the talk for top 5-6 CB's after this season. The QB's in this league will learn quickly about the dynamic, athletic freaks at CB that Atlanta will throw out every Sunday afternoon. The perimeters of this defense looks to be in great condition, unlike the New Orleans Levee circa 2005.

Your three:

1 - TJ - I expect him to help hold down the fort in run defense. He is good at it. I wouldn't expect much in the way of a pass rush. If we can get 3-5 sacks out of him I'll take it. He's never had more than four

2 - Warlock - he was a nice UDFA find but he's way overhyped on TATF. He was surprisingly good in his first seven games but tailed off considerably in his last seven. It's well documented he put in the work this offseason. Hopefully he can live up to the hype in 2014

3 - Alf - I love his demeanor and attitude but truth be told when he took over for Asante he got lit up by some average QBs. He will have a bullseye on his back this year. If he doesn't improve we might need to move him to the right side. Of the bench. Hopefully he won't be like Crisp Owens and Chevis Regal who were Dimi corners that showed promise in their rookie years and fell off the cliff afterwards

My three:

1 - Devonta - hopefully dude can show the staff he can pass block. If he can he will get some snaps. He has the tools to make a positive impact on our run game. If he can't run block he may be sitting next to Antone pouring Gatorade refills for SJax

2 - LoLo - I said last year this was my favorite 2013 Dimi pick. Buddy has some red zone skills. He caught two TDs and could have had a third but he dropped it. That was on limited targets. He has the size and is faster than TonyG. Even though he can't block he dam sho can block better than TonyG

3 - Hester - We all know he's a helluva returner that should elevate our return game but many forget he put up decent numbers as a receiver in CHI. I heard Harry Dougle on radio today saying we plan to get him some targets. If we do he will be productive

Steven Jackson, Devin Hester, Dwight Lowery

You could also pick those guys as the three biggest question marks.

Steven Jackson is saying all the right things so far in the pre-season, but I'm picking up a sense of entitlement in the subtext of his remarks. He believes he's the #1 back, and he may be. But never mind past performance. Never mind the expectations. He'll actually have to earn a simple roster spot, and it isn't guaranteed.

Hester is the Falcons second most dangerous player with the ball in his hands, after Julio Jones. But can he make a mark outside the return game?

The question with Lowery is always health. If he stays on the field he's a solid vet presence with starter talent, but will he?

3 - Hester - We all know he's a helluva returner that should elevate our return game but many forget he put up decent numbers as a receiver in CHI. I heard Harry Dougle on radio today saying we plan to get him some targets. If we do he will be productive

I don't know if it is because dude spent all his time in CHI, but I keep forgetting we got him. I have a feeling he will be good for a couple more years because, lets face it, if he loses a step, he will be as fast as an average KR / WR. If I could add a 4th surprise, it would be him, basically because I keep forgetting we got em.