What If Everything That Went Wrong Last Goes Right This Year?

falconidae

So, yeah, I wrote a thread like this last year, and then last year happened. I had posters making fun of me, saying essentially, " Hey, you're , you're a FAN OF YOUR TEAM. and you're hopeful. HAHAHAHAHA, how silly"

Don't care, still prefer to travel hopefully, both in life and here on the board. No one has ever shown me how being "realistic" [translation: negative] is a better way to be a fan.

So, with that disclaimer out of the way:

What if:

2013 was indeed a fluke and the Falcons rebound this year?

Holmes and Konz did spend the summer in the weight room and the film room and, are at the very least, solid backups who can replace Baker & Blalock in a couple of years?

Asomoah, Matthews, Hawley and a healthy Baker make for a solid Oline?

Ryan has a pocket to consistently work from?

Jones and White are healthy?

The 1000 lbs of humanity that is our new Dline makes a real difference?

Mass, Goodman, Maponga, Bartu, Worilow, Alford and Trufant are the core of a new very good young D?

Hageman is a monster?

Such a monster that he transforms the D?

Reedy and Pederson are the offense's version of Bartu and Worilow?

Freeman is the Falcons Ray Rice [W/O the domestic violence]?

Southward is a quick study?

2 of the young LBers emerge as solid pieces?

Ryan, off of play action, hits Jones for half a dozen deep TD passes?

Toilolo matches half of Gonzo's production from last year- 40 catches, 400 yards, 4 TDs?

Ryan takes his game up a notch- fewer mistakes, more big plays, better red zone decisions, better in a muddied pocket, a few more runs?

The Falcons have an effective run game?

Smith allows his coordinators to coach the aggressive style both prefer?

The Falcons offense is unstoppable- a perfect blend of pass and run, averaging 30 points a game?

Falcons D makes every single yard the opposition a struggle, gives up no big plays , stops the run and gets off the field on 3rd down most of the time?

HD finally gets it all together, with a few more TDs and no silly mistakes?

Ryan leads the Falcons back to the playoffs, only this time, he has a run game and a better D?

And this time his WRs don't fall down?

What if this IS a magical season and the Falcons are the last team standing in Feb?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In both of our 13-3 years we seemed to catch all of the breaks (until the playoffs, at least).

I think the most important question is: How good will we be if we have AVERAGE luck. Not if we have GREAT luck or TERRIBLE luck.

I think with average luck, we're a 10 win team.

Guest MikeKennHOF

In other threads OP, you are pointing out all the change from 2012 to 2013 as a major factor in the poor season.

Why will all the change this year not be equally disruptive?

Because of hope, reasons, and fluffy pink unicorns. Obviously. Open your eyes and see the truthiness!!!

Guest Gritz

I suppose anything's possible. Everything you listed would make me very happy, but as we've already seen with Weatherspoon's injury things rarely, if ever, go as smoothly as a team would like.

Law of averages says the Falcons get a couple of more injuries...Just have to hope that they aren't to key players like Ryan, Trufant, etc....

This looks like a .500 team to me, 8-8.

I hope I'm wrong.

Haven't seen any A material from you ever. It's June 25, 2014.

I'm ignoring you until July 25, 2014, unless you actually make me laugh before then.

I suppose anything's possible. Everything you listed would make me very happy, but as we've already seen with Weatherspoon's injury things rarely, if ever, go as smoothly as a team would like.

Law of averages says the Falcons get a couple of more injuries...Just have to hope that they aren't to key players like Ryan, Trufant, etc....

I hope I'm wrong.

A couple of big plays makes 8-8 10-6, I expect this team to be able to make a couple of big plays.

We'll know a lot more after preseason- see how good the new pieces are and how quickly they can mesh.

Think both lines will be better, maybe much better. Love to see what Ryan could do with more time and a consistent pocket.

In other threads OP, you are pointing out all the change from 2012 to 2013 as a major factor in the poor season.

"Change" in general doesnt drive disruption. In fact, the history of "change" is actually pretty strong. Teams often do very well after coaching changes. New schemes on either side of the ball often lead to improvements (The Bears 2013 offense, the Bills 2013 defense). New talent obviously brings new dimensions to the team.

Love to see what Ryan could do with more time and a consistent pocket.

i've not been one to overly criticize the trade for Julio, but i have always thought the biggest strategic mistake Dmitroff has made was believing he had an elite franchise QB, but making tactical decisions that didn't cohere with that belief. Great QBs need a great OLs much more than they need great receiving corps. Give an elite QB a clean pocket and time to throw, and they will make average WRs look really good. The focus of a GM who thinks the team has an elite QB should be less on bringing in great receivers and more on bringing in great OL. Doesn't matter how great the receiving corps is when the QB is laying on his back or running for his life most of the time.

A couple of big plays makes 8-8 10-6, I expect this team to be able to make a couple of big plays.

We'll know a lot more after preseason- see how good the new pieces are and how quickly they can mesh.

Think both lines will be better, maybe much better. Love to see what Ryan could do with more time and a consistent pocket.

Ryan with a pocket is a very, very dangerous weapon. He put up 4500 yards with road cones for an OL.

We will be in the playoffs barring injuries.

I hope I'm wrong.

Please explain how you see a 8-8 team. I dont see it unless we get hit with the injury bug again like last year. Our biggest weakness was our oline because despite how awesome I want our defense to be that was never our strength. OUr bread and butter is scoring points with this offense and if we can block well enough to run and pass the ball then I see this team making the playoffs and pushing for the #1 spot in the NFC South.

In that scenario, we are a much improved team. What scares me is how close.we were to being decent last year even with the train wreck that happened. We only got totally worked three or.four times. The rest of the games were winnable, even with the sad state of affairs we found ourselves in.

Please explain how you see a 8-8 team. I dont see it unless we get hit with the injury bug again like last year. Our biggest weakness was our oline because despite how awesome I want our defense to be that was never our strength. OUr bread and butter is scoring points with this offense and if we can block well enough to run and pass the ball then I see this team making the playoffs and pushing for the #1 spot in the NFC South.

How anyone sees a 8-8 team ? Pretty easy

Pushing for 1 spot ? Lol

Defense is still atrocious

No pass rush

Young secondary still getting exploited

2 injury prone players get hurt Baker and Julio

Matthews will take time to develop

Running game still a issue

Change wasn't necessarily the issue last year.

The catalyst for last season IMO was the failure/regression of the offensive line. Once that happened a lot of things had to go right in other areas of the team to overcome it... Which we know didn't happen.

If we have significant improvement in both lines then that in itself will take us a long way.

How anyone sees a 8-8 team ? Pretty easy

Pushing for 1 spot ? Lol

Defense is still atrocious

No pass rush

Young secondary still getting exploited

2 injury prone players get hurt Baker and Julio

Matthews will take time to develop

Running game still a issue

1.YOu have not seen what the defense can do and again the bread and butter of this team is the offense. I dont think the defense will be bad to the point where they will lose games for us.

2. We may not have improved our pass rush from the edges but will should improve on our pass rush on the interior which was a big of a problem last year as the edges.

3. I am not worried about the secondary when it comes to coverage - tackling was more of a concern than coverage IMO

4. There is a reason why the team was sooo happy to get Matthews = he was the most NFL ready player in the 1st round period - I dont think the learning curve is as high as you believe

5. The addition of Matthews, JA, and Hawley should spark an improvement in our run game. I actually think our Oline will be the most improved aspect of our team this year. We invested alot into our OLine this year.

I actually think we are a much better team than the 2012 Falcons.

Oh, forgot,

What if:

Tice and Cox make a huge difference?

See the thing is, of course, not all of those what if's are coming true, but not one of them is impossible, and, if several of them do come true, this team can make the playoffs, after which, anything can happen.