My Thoughts On Defense And The Pass Rush

He never said sacks aren't valuable or important. He said they are over rated. It's true. Turnovers correlate much more accurately with wins and losses than sacks do.

Watching us struggle against the Saints, I cant help but think that a couple more sacks would not change the outcome, though a consistent push up the middle would. It affects their run game and forces Brees out of the pocket- if that leads to just 1 turnover its more valuable than a couple sacks. Ironicly the pressure also leads to sacks. There's no reason to take issue w Smitty on this.

How many times have we seen our very own Atlanta falcons get pressure on third down, only to allow a qb to escape and complete a conversion?

And y'all want to bank on pressure?

You're going to make this comment after the one above?

Whats different? Push up the middle....

Not that I am much of a Smitty apologist, but I do remember him saying something to the effect of rather having several guys get a handful of sacks than 2 guys getting 10 each or something.

The problem with that philosophy is when you have NOBODY that requires more than 1 blocker, you don't have the horses to get it done. With Hageman, Jackson, and Soliai, we now have some possibilities of demanding double teams, which will make Smitty's vision more realistic, even if it's not the strategy everyone agrees with. I could see 4-5 guys this year getting 4-5 sacks, with a couple getting 6 or 7. I could see us sniffing around 45 sacks this year...not sure that will be better than middle of the league, but I would be pretty surprised if we didn't have a better pass rush this year, and we sure as heck should be better against the run. I think some people forget about that aspect, when offenses can easily run the ball against you, you have less opportunities for sacks because you're not getting your opponent into long yardage situations.

looks OK but--(as always someone has something to say)

Last few years Babs, Peters, Jerry et al have not been able to collapse the pocket consistently---some (including me) believe that this is primary cause of the failure of the pass rush. The outside rushers do get up field after the QB, but can't get him because there is always an escape route by stepping up in the pocket because the Falcon DTs as still stuck back at the LOS

this 4-2-5 still has Babs and Peters at DT so I do not see any improvement in collapsing the pocket unless you believe Hageman is going to make a great difference over Jerry et al

I think babs is highly underrated on here by some, and one thing t hat will help is a lower snap count he played way too many downs last yr, and as far as peters its hard to tell bc he has been injured but yes I do think hageman and babs manning the dt spots will help collapse the pocket in the middle

Smitty will never live down the sacks are overrated comment. It was a bad choice of words. I believe what he meant and should have said is hits and hurries are underrated.

I agree and was a poor choice of wording in the modern nfl where rules highly favor the offense no defensive win is ever overrated

I think saying sacks are overrated is a dumb comment .... The reason Seattle was so successful in the SB was because of sacks ... The defensive line put fear n Mannings heart .... Which created nervousness n the QB ... A tipped ball is not going to do that ... But I think a sack is much more productive ...

I think saying sacks are overrated is a dumb comment .... The reason Seattle was so successful in the SB was because of sacks ... The defensive line put fear n Mannings heart .... Which created nervousness n the QB ... A tipped ball is not going to do that ... But I think a sack is much more productive ...

They had like 2 sacks that game.

What you're describing is pressure.

Smitty will never live down the sacks are overrated comment. It was a bad choice of words. I believe what he meant and should have said is hits and hurries are underrated.

You're smart enough to know what he meant, just like a lot of other people are, y'all just choosing to play up his words way too literally.

He was sacked once.

I do think 1 good hit not even a sack is needed a game. One hard hitting, whiplash causing, brain jarring hit or sack. After that all you really need is pressure. The QB remembers that hit he took. Constant pressure afterwards when coming from multiple fronts will keep the QB fearing and eventually force mistakes.

I've seen us lose games with hella pressure. Pressure just prezsure isn't good enough. It never has been.

Despite what smith has lead some of his blind loyalist to believe, pressure for the Atlanta Falcons is not greater than a sack.

How people watched Drew Brees decimate us, even with a constantly muddied pocket, and still think pressure is all we need is crazy to me. These are NFL quarterbacks, most f them can handle a little pressure...put they ***** in the dirt.

I've seen us lose games with hella pressure. Pressure just prezsure isn't good enough. It never has been.

Despite what smith has lead some of his blind loyalist to believe, pressure for the Atlanta Falcons is not greater than a sack.

How people watched Drew Brees decimate us, even with a constantly muddied pocket, and still think pressure is all we need is crazy to me. These are NFL quarterbacks, most f them can handle a little pressure...put they ***** in the dirt.

I have seen QB getting sacked on first down and second down, only to come back with a big 3rd down conversion. Keeping aside what Smitty said or not, this team needs to get off the field either with a sack, turnover or stop period. If you make Ryan Tannehill and Geno Smith look like pro bowlers, there is a bigger problem

I have seen QB getting sacked on first down and second down, only to come back with a big 3rd down conversion. Keeping aside what Smitty said or not, this team needs to get off the field either with a sack, turnover or stop period. If you make Ryan Tannehill and Geno Smith look like pro bowlers, there is a bigger problem

So you mean the first and second down pressure didn't make him wet his pants and subsequently throw an int like many are saying pressure does?

Hmm, peculiar.

So you mean the first and second down pressure didn't make him wet his pants and subsequently throw an int like many are saying pressure does?

Hmm, peculiar.

No he just said those 2 sacks on 1st and 2nd down meant jack ish. Once 3rd and long came around there was no pressure whatsoever let alone a sack and the git QBs converted. Twisting what he said.

Hmm, peculiar.

Hmm, peculiar.

Its ok man, let them sack on first and second down and give up the third down conversions. It does'nt mean jack if the Falcons have 50 sacks and let the QB abuse them on third downs. That has happened way too many times in last two years. That was a big problem in NFCG against Niners, they would go for a loss and a big 2nd down or 3rd down conversion.

No he just said those 2 sacks on 1st and 2nd down meant jack ish. Once 3rd and long came around there was no pressure whatsoever let alone a sack and the git QBs converted. Twisting what he said.

Hmm, peculiar.

Your reading comprehension skills are lacking. Since when is asking a question twisting someones words?

If pressure that results in sacks on first and second is of no consequence, what do you think just pressure on its on will achieve?

On 3rd down we need sacks, not just pressure, despite how over rated some are lead to believe they are.