My Favorite De/olb For 2015

Golden looks good, IMO. Good vision on the line and does well at holding the point of attack. With a good year, he could go top 20.

Said last season that neither Ealy or Sam were the best pass rushers on the team. It was Golden. He's probably my favourite player right now, can't wait to see how he does in a more expanded role. Hope he continues to improve but he's a natural pass rusher.

• 2 months later...

Very early but no harm in looking at needs based on what we see to date. The pass rush remains an unresolved problem which the FO continues to either neglect or is a piss poor judge of talent. Our linebackers are not very athletic. We need talent on the edge and at the LB position. The odds of a late round pick hitting is not good historically.

Some candidates

Benardrick McKinney ILB/OLB Miss State

Avin " Bud" Dupree DE/OLB Kentucky

Both raise the level of athleticism on this defense. Will be interesting to see how they develop this season.

Would like to see a more athletic front 7 with a less complicated scheme.

Just my two cents

Mike Orakpo and Shaq Thompson aren't edge rushers. I like them both tho, a lot of Texas St games have been on TV this year.

I think Golden and Gregory are both very overrated. Golden doesn't look like he has the ability to bend the corner at the next level. Looking for more athleticism and hip flexibility from him. Gregory has NOT ONE pass rush move. He is only about speed and has very large holes in every other aspect of his game. IMO Beasley is a much better prospect. Beasley is better at what they do well and less of a liability against the run. Gregory just has a better body type for the position.

Williams

Fowler

Beasley

Dupree

Oakman (Plays too upright, shoots straight up at snap. Has to improve hip flexibility and strength before he becomes a factor. IMO he's a proj player so I'd love him in the 2nd like we did with Hageman)

Kihaha

Mike Orakpo and Shaq Thompson aren't edge rushers. I like them both tho, a lot of Texas St games have been on TV this year.

I think Golden and Gregory are both very overrated. Golden doesn't look like he has the ability to bend the corner at the next level. Looking for more athleticism and hip flexibility from him. Gregory has NOT ONE pass rush move. He is only about speed and has very large holes in every other aspect of his game. IMO Beasley is a much better prospect. Beasley is better at what they do well and less of a liability against the run. Gregory just has a better body type for the position.

Williams

Fowler

Beasley

Dupree

Oakman (Plays too upright, shoots straight up at snap. Has to improve hip flexibility and strength before he becomes a factor. IMO he's a proj player so I'd love him in the 2nd like we did with Hageman)

Kihaha

Nice observations here. I noticed the same with some of these guys.

Im starting to like Calhoun from Michigan State. He looked pretty good against Nebraska lastnight when I was just focusing on him.

Calhoun is a good 4-3 DE prospect. Strong at the point of attack but disappears for stretches. Certainly not a speed rusher but he has looked very promising from what I've seen.

The thing that stood out the most to me about him is how slow he is off the snap. He's typically the last one to react.

Yeah that's something I noticed too. Seems sluggish at times and as if him being slow off the snap wasn't enough, he also can come out of his stance too high.