My Favorite De/olb For 2015

I'll let you guys know in week 6 of the college season.

Just remember, last year at this time, Kony Ealy and Dee Ford were barely on anybody's periphery, literally nobody was talking about Marcus Smith, and names like Trent Murphy, Michael Sam and Jackson Jeffcoat were at the top of peoples' boards. Then, as the 2013 season wore on, everything started shaping up.

I'll let you guys know in week 6 of the college season.

Just remember, last year at this time, Kony Ealy and Dee Ford were barely on anybody's periphery, literally nobody was talking about Marcus Smith, and names like Trent Murphy, Michael Sam and Jackson Jeffcoat were at the top of peoples' boards. Then, as the 2013 season wore on, everything started shaping up.

Doesn't mean that you can't have a list of who you're focusing in on atm.

So you're not going to watch any tape? You're not going to like any of the prospects that you watch?

I don't watch old tape, no. The tape I watch is the tape of a player's season leading up to their declaration for the draft. If I see something I like, but the player was playing hurt, I'll look further back, but other than that I just don't see a need for it. 50% of an NFL talent evaluator's game tape grade comes from post-season games - bowls games, championship games, all-star games and the senior bowl. ~40% is from the most recent season. Why spend 50% of your time evaluating something that makes up 10% of your evaluation? I don't have that kind of time.

I don't watch old tape, no. The tape I watch is the tape of a player's season leading up to their declaration for the draft. If I see something I like, but the player was playing hurt, I'll look further back, but other than that I just don't see a need for it. 50% of an NFL talent evaluator's game tape grade comes from post-season games - bowls games, championship games, all-star games and the senior bowl. ~40% is from the most recent season. Why spend 50% of your time evaluating something that makes up 10% of your evaluation? I don't have that kind of time.

Old tape is all that's currently available, and it's fun to see how players can develop from one year to the next.

Old tape is all that's currently available, and it's fun to see how players can develop from one year to the next.

projecting player development is how you end up with Tajh Boyd in your top 5 QBs, like most, if not all draftniks had last year at this time.

projecting player development is how you end up with Tajh Boyd in your top 5 QBs, like most, if not all draftniks had last year at this time.

I'm not projecting. I'm watching tape now, and then watching it then. Plenty of players can improve or decline in a year's time, but that doesn't mean that you can't watch them.

• 2 weeks later...