Falcons Working To Train The Brains Of Players.

RI Falcon

In the continuing arms race for unique training methods, the Falcons are going with something that sounds like it came from The Matrix.

The team announced via its official website a partnership with a company called CogniSens Inc., for a product called NeuroTracker.

While it sounds like a mind-control chip (which coaches would doubtless prefer), it’s actually a 3D program which asks players to track a variety of objects at high speed.

“As an organization we are always looking for ways to improve our player’s performance on the field,” Falcons General Manager Thomas Dimitroff said. “By partnering with CongniSens we believe that we will provide our players with an additional tool that they can use as they prepare. By utilizing NeuroTracker technology we feel that our players will get the most out of their classroom and meeting time.”

The goal is to improve focus and attention, and maybe it works.

If nothing else, an NFL team is at least spending some of its money earned from years of television contracts on something to make the brain grow instead of shrink.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/23/falcons-working-to-train-the-brains-of-players/

Before anyone comes in and talks about the Falcons and gimmicks other teams are also using technology to help with training.

Here are articles about the Packers and Steelers integrating technology into their practices.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/23/steelers-integrating-helmet-cameras-into-practice-routine/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360809/article/steelers-packers-tinker-with-technology-in-practice

I just signed it to post this but looks like you beat me to it...

I'm pretty excited about this technology. It made me think about when I was seriously addicted to games, an activity that's still kind of frowned upon in society. I remember playing football and being able to do things that other kids couldn't do. I could catch and see everything! Turns out that a study that I read a while back said that kids that played games often had eye-speed comparable to a jet-fighter. This technology will be VERY beneficial if the players take advantage of it. Being able to process information visually would definitely make you a better football player, especially a QB or a defender!

I think it's awesome because instead of sitting on that money, the Falcons are using it to attempt to enhance resources that will make us a better team and organization.

All players and fans love to see when an organization gives back.

Edited by ATLFalcons11

I wouldn't even call this a gimmick, this is science. There have been multiple studies that show things like certain video games can increase reaction time and other cognitive functions. Football can be equally mental as it is physical, depending on the situation. There's nothing wrong with wanting your players to have a mental advantage.

I wouldn't even call this a gimmick, this is science. There have been multiple studies that show things like certain video games can increase reaction time and other cognitive functions. Football can be equally mental as it is physical, depending on the situation. There's nothing wrong with wanting your players to have a mental advantage.

the only ppl who think this is a gimmick are older folk who still believe you should just go out there and run laps and do pushups to win games.