John Clayton Podcast (6/19)-Mike Smith Interview - Hard Knocks, Matthews, Hageman

g-dawg

link to podcast:

http://espn.go.com/e...lay?id=11107232

first, Mike Smith is notorious for "big-timin'" and doing these interviews on speaker-phone - uggh - i hate everyone that does radio interviews on speakerphone - incredibly rude.

I believe this podcast was on 6/19 - I did not see it on messageboard so if this is re-post I am sorry and let me know.

Summary:

• Hard knocks positives - see rookies compete, showcases Falcons organization. says we have characters on our team/staff
  • Hard knocks worries? - Smitty says he has experienced Hard Knocks from his time at Jags/Ravens orgs. Smitty says that NFL Films have technology to obfuscate the verbiage.
  • Beefy on interior/exterior - Smitty said we had to address with additions to defensive line and offensive line - mentions Soliai/Tyson Jackson and Asamoah in free agency. our ability to run and stop run was not very good.
  • Continued in draft to get physical on defensive line with Ra'Shede Hageman.
  • Felt like we did things needed to do to improve our roster.
  • What was more important run stopping or rushing QB? Smitty: When you stop the run you get yourself in better 3rd down situations. However we still have to affect the QB - need big men to push the pocket and big men in middle will help with that.
  • Jake Matthews helps? Smitty: Adding Jake was cornerstone of our draft - he has been all that is advertised from what we have seen in OTA's - think he will be cornerstone of franchise.
  • Who was more happy to see Jake Matthews drafted Matt Ryan or SJAX? Smitty: whole organization - we targeted Jake and we were fortunate to get him @ #6. probably no one was more excited than I was to draft Jake Matthews.
  • Matt Ryan - what is he doing to improve? Smitty: under circumstances Matt played well last year - we were injured at certain positions and that hindered us throwing the ball. We all probably pushed a little too hard w/ the injuries - we need to play more within our means - when things did not go well in first 5 games of season - everyone started to press, including Matt.
  • We feel like we have done a nice job calibrating our roster to help weather a storm if we had rash of injuries again.
  • 3-4 or 4-3 defense? we will be more multiple than last year - in 2013, we had 6 rookies playing major roles - had two starting rookie LBs and starting rookie CB. We've gotten bigger which will allow us more flexibility in how we do things - more flexibility.

I am looking foward to Hardknocks - since it is only conducted during the pre-season and training camp - never understood why teams make such a big deal about it - is a camera on the field in August going to affect the last two minutes of a game in October?

No one cares if you hate mike smith

I don't hate him - not his biggest fan either.

I just for the life of me do not understand why Mike Smith does not understand how rude the speakerphone thing is. Normally Mike Smith comes off as a gentleman and is aware of etiquette - not so much when it comes to the speakerphone situation though.

I just for the life of me do not understand why Mike Smith does not understand how rude the speakerphone thing is. Normally Mike Smith comes off as a gentleman and is aware of etiquette - not so much when it comes to the speakerphone situation though.

look at it from his perspective he doesn't really want to let out secrets so the crappier and the more inaudible the better. I wish the NFL was so simple as a rah rah speech finished with now let's go whip their ***. It's a game of information like everything the less the otherwise knows the better.

look at it from his perspective he doesn't really want to let out secrets so the crappier and the more inaudible the better. I wish the NFL was so simple as a rah rah speech finished with now let's go whip their ***. It's a game of information like everything the less the otherwise knows the better.

your honor, move to strike as non-responsive.

1. if you are not going to be audible in an interview, just don't do interviews. Mike Smith has no problems talking while saying nothing - he might as well be audible while he says it.
  2. where did I say anything about "rah-rah speeches"? The examples I gave were Sean Payton and Bill Belicheck and was referring to their abilities to game-plan and make in-game adjustments.

your honor, move to strike as non-responsive.

1. if you are not going to be audible in an interview, just don't do interviews. Mike Smith has no problems talking while saying nothing - he might as well be audible while he says it.
  2. where did I say anything about "rah-rah speeches"? The examples I gave were Sean Payton and Bill Belicheck and was referring to their abilities to game-plan and make in-game adjustments.

he has to give interviews... They have made adjustments to have a **** ton of fourth qtr comebacks, do you even know what you are talking about?

Maybe he has a hard time hearing through the ear piece.

he has to give interviews... They have made adjustments to have a **** ton of fourth qtr comebacks, do you even know what you are talking about?

you don't know what you are talking about - but you are a Gator so....it's expected ;)

My interview with Coach Smith last night. It was completely off the record and he didn't use the speaker phone.

Me-So, Mike how do you think Massaquoi is going to do this year?

Coach-Well BDH, we had high hopes for him but I ran into this guy who was coaching his son at little league and he thought we should go in another direction. So now we have doubts.

Me-Wow, seemed like he was up and coming to me.

Coach-Yeah we did too but he did get 2 years here, you know, so its time to move on. We'll probably cut him and sign some old guy off the scrap heap.

Me-Um-Ok.

This has to be continued. Might try it as a spinoff thread.

Edited by Ben Day Hoe

What's rude about a speakerphone interview? Quality poorer?

Bad quality. Hard to understand the person but most people don't realize how bad it is unless they are told.

I used to talk to people over the phones constantly and unless you tell them they don't know.

G-dawg might be exaggerating on how "rude" it is tho...lol