Jonathan Massaquoi

I actually like him a lot as a back-up. Truth is, he was pretty decent in college and he is built like a superhero. He also has a good personality and its fun to get hyped over a marginal player, I know because I have done it. Thing is, I have trouble seeing where he is THE guy we should be focused on. Not saying Maponga is much better, I haven't seen anything from him either.

What is the excitement? I don't know. I try and understand truthfully, but all I see is him having good games against Matt Flynn, half a sack against the Panthers and Bucs, but a sack on Kaepernick where the guy literally runs into Massaquoi...come on.

Now, those to me are what I call garbage sacks. They didn't really amount to a whole lot TBH and don't really say anything about a player's ability. They do say he has some dog in him and can be coached up. While that excites me, I would hope we took the time to get a stop gapper at least. a guy who can get us 7-8 good ones with Massaquoi still learning until he takes over for Osi next year with a better player on the other side.

This is really what I'm saying. Not saying I don't like him, he sucks, or that I would like him gone. He's like Biermann with more upside. I think he's good for about 5 to 7 this year, but be fair and get him some help so the pressure isn't all on him. That front line helps a lot, but not like some of you think. You don't just add water.

Those sacks though, are why some actually get confused and think theyar e overrated. I don't need Clowney, Von Miller, or JJ Watt...not even Dumervil...okay let's face it, Elvis is a beast. I just need someone on the other side of Osi who is ready to help the team as Mass still grows. Putting him out there on the other side of Osi (who hasn't been much in years) is throwing him out to the wolves. Bad for his career.

That's just my take. Take it how you want to.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is all we have and I like him so I will cheer for him. 6-10 sacks is what I expect. Could he disappoint me? Yeah, he could. Won't stop me from hyping him a little and being a fan.

I'm excited about our defense this year. I get it some folks aren't. That's their problem IMO. Finally got big across the front and add that to everyone being healthy with one more year of experience and I'm good. Now could the unit as a whole disappoint me? Yeah, they could. That won't stop me from being excited about the possibilities though.

Is all we have and I like him so I will cheer for him. 6-10 sacks is what I expect. Could he disappoint me? Yeah, he could. Won't stop me from hyping him a little and being a fan.

I'm excited about our defense this year. I get it some folks aren't. That's their problem IMO. Finally got big across the front and add that to everyone being healthy with one more year of experience and I'm good. Now could the unit as a whole disappoint me? Yeah, they could. That won't stop me from being excited about the possibilities though.

Okay, now that's all I needed to know. Because he's what we have. I'm cool with that, my issue was as simple as wanting to know what I was missing. You've known me for years. I go by what I see in football.

If Mass gets 6-8 sacks this season, and plays the run proficiently, I would suggest that he has lived up to the hype. If he exceeds this reasonable expectation, he will have had an outstanding season.

Where I'm at on him. Not sure why it's been getting blown out of proportion. I haven't seen anyone with absolutely crazy expectations.

If Mass gets 6-8 sacks this season, and plays the run proficiently, I would suggest that he has lived up to the hype. If he exceeds this reasonable expectation, he will have had an outstanding season.

Yeah, you are one up from me on that one. I said 5-7 in my OP. Like I have said, its not a personal issue with me. Now, you are saying something though way more within the grasp of reason and always have. This is why I hold you in such high regard as a poster.

Your idea of hyping a player is putting a guy slightly above where he already is with a reasonable idea. I have always liked that. I don't consider that hype at all.

I say 5-7, but that's just me. I think he could dominate by next year if we address the other side for him. That's why I say just get a guy who can get it done and let them rotate.

I agree. I hope we 1 more pass rusher because I'm sure someone will get cut just like Abe did last year. But I think Mass improves because the whole line improved.

I stumbled on this during my research into the 2013 NFL draft last year....it was written by Doug Farrar who is a fantastic football writer with a great sense for scouting. He was high on Mass going into the 2012 draft http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/shutdown-50-50-johnathan-massaquoi-troy-182154141.html

This was Farrar's conclusion:

Massaquoi is an interesting "tweener" for his size and position. He'll most likely be asked to switch to outside linebacker at the NFL level, but he plays well with his hand down and seems to have a good grasp of the fundamentals. He doesn't play with the core strength of a James Harrison or LaMarr Woodley, but I wouldn't be quick to make the obvious DeMarcus Ware comparison either, because Massaquoi is the better player (at least in a raw sense) dropping into coverage and Ware again plays with more core strength. He's quick, but not quite as explosive as Von Miller.

Basically, Massaquoi does everything decent-to-well you'd want a man playing his position to do. If his skills were more refined, he'd be a first-round lock. As it is, the team willing to put in the finishing work (starting with the weight room) could have a Pro Bowler and quarterback sack leader on their hands sooner than later

And I think I saw some development from a guy who was pretty raw and got minimal playing time his rookie season. I dont know that I saw enough to think he'd ever be a consistent 10+ guy but he's shown me enough to think that he could develop into a very solid 7-9 guy with the occasional 10 sack year. This defense really hasnt had that type of "#2" pass rusher in a long time. We still need a major difference maker from somewhere but I think he'll serve as a decent option this year

It's Lawrence Sidbury 2.0. The excitement of potential. I'm with you, I have no faith this guy will be more than a 5 sack a year role player.

If he was going to break out, he'd have done it last season, when Abe was gone and we shut down Osi. I still don't get the Biermann phenomena either. He's a utility player, but doesn't excel at anything.

I stumbled on this during my research into the 2013 NFL draft last year....it was written by Doug Farrar who is a fantastic football writer with a great sense for scouting. He was high on Mass going into the 2012 draft http://sports.yahoo....-182154141.html

This was Farrar's conclusion:

And I think I saw some development from a guy who was pretty raw and got minimal playing time his rookie season. I dont know that I saw enough to think he'd ever be a consistent 10+ guy but he's shown me enough to think that he could develop into a very solid 7-9 guy with the occasional 10 sack year. This defense really hasnt had that type of "#2" pass rusher in a long time. We still need a major difference maker from somewhere but I think he'll serve as a decent option this year

I've seen enough to know he's a good utility player like Biermann so far. I like him, just not as muchas many others. We have a fantastic #2 guy in Osi though, we lack that #1 threat.

It's Lawrence Sidbury 2.0. The excitement of potential. I'm with you, I have no faith this guy will be more than a 5 sack a year role player.

If he was going to break out, he'd have done it last season, when Abe was gone and we shut down Osi. I still don't get the Biermann phenomena either. He's a utility player, but doesn't excel at anything.

That's just it, I thought he would show up last year.

He's not elite in one thing. But he does everything well. HE plays the run very well and sets the edge well for his size. He'll start this year over Osi with the base defense. And by doing so and seeing reps, he'll get better as the season goes on. His biggest questions have been technical. If Bryan Cox can get his hand usage up to where Dumervil and Wake got up to, we could see the next breakout star pass rusher for Mike Nolan. He's just the perfect fit. But that's just my take.

And FWIW, I'm predicting 10 sacks this year, more in future years.

Don't buy into the 3rd year stuff? 3rd year definitely seems to be the magic number.

Sidbury never saw the field, so Mass at least has a better shot to succeed. For a pass rusher to breakout your team needs to be leading and stop the run. Neither happened much last year.

Sidbury could never stop the run either. Massaquoi at worst is a run stuffing guy who can get 6-8 sacks a year in a starting role.

He's not elite in one thing. But he does everything well. HE plays the run very well and sets the edge well for his size. He'll start this year over Osi with the base defense. And by doing so and seeing reps, he'll get better as the season goes on. His biggest questions have been technical. If Bryan Cox can get his hand usage up to where Dumervil and Wake got up to, we could see the next breakout star pass rusher for Mike Nolan. He's just the perfect fit. But that's just my take.

And FWIW, I'm predicting 10 sacks this year, more in future years.

ummmm....

Don't buy into the 3rd year stuff? 3rd year definitely seems to be the magic number.

I don't buy into much in terms of time, or there would be way more of them.

You people are complaining that one of our players sacked an opposing QB. Just think about that as you whine yourself to sleep at night.

Sheesh, some peepoles.

lolwut