What Happened To Competing For Every Position?

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[

PAT KIRWAN

NFL Insider

Roster depth key to championships, so it's no surprise Seattle has it

In my opinion there are 13 categories that have to get a positive answer for a team to qualify as having solid roster depth. The first is the backup quarterback. A capable backup QB that can go at least 2-2 in a four-game stretch qualifies as a good backup.

There's a reason the Falcons traded for QB T.J. Yates this week. In 2011 Yates came off the bench and went 4-4 for the Texans, including a playoff win. Atlanta is still trying to get a passing grade for this first question of my roster depth analysis and Yates could be the answer.

"Trading for backup QB T.J. Yates was a shrewd move by the Falcons."

Not only that but there is no way Davis is a thousand hundred percent better than Theodis.

Edited by Bier-fann

No offense, but I don't see how this is a knee jerk reaction. We let him compete and subsequently win the back up spot last year. He was needed for mop up duty and unfortunately had his knee busted up behind that porous line. He still hasn't developed touch on his passes and probably was a little behind this mini camp. We saw an opportunity to get a player who can win in a pinch with some real experience, and in doing so, shed some weight in an underperforming third round pick at a loaded position. Sounds rational to me.

Let them compete head to head and then you know.

Dent was not going to make our team and Yates was not going to make their team. That is why the trade happened. They actually waived Yates and apparently pulled him off waivers when we claimed him. They then got whatever they could for him by trade. I started to say we would get him when I saw they waived him. The reason I didnt is because I think Jeff Mathews has way more upside and I want him to be the #2 QB.

don't you find it strange that Renfree (on IR all 2013) and UDFA Mathews are both still on the roster and DD is gone.

So the Falcons DO have competition at QB (Yates, Renfree, Mathews)

but it's simply that DD is no longer in the mix

sorry, I thought he could develop and maybe the Falcons still think he can BUT they decided to go in a different direction, what's wrong with that? THey do it all the time even with starter. ie Clabo, Dahl, Abraham, Turner etc

and there is a new crop of WRs on the PS nearly every year

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum, and Phil Savage are the reason Yates was let go. If he was fourth string for them why would I want him? I hope there is a competition. Yates was pedestrian in college and pros. I really think Mathews has what it takes to eventually start in NFL. Yates does not. Yates was bested by a second year CFA last year, Lets hope it happens again next year as long as we can sneak Jeff by on PS. It does seem that they gave him the job to lose.

Mathews has the arm talent and intelligence. He needs to take whatever coaching they have given him on his mechanics thus far and drill it into himself everyday and master his playbook. He needs to wow them in TC. Yates has the most experience but as a second year player showed last year and a rookie showed this year, he can be had.

Renfree is the better choice for PS because he is so brittle. If we ever had to use him he wouldnt last long anyway.

Coaches clearly already decided Renfree was better than Davis for QB2. Competition was actually preserved here:

Before:

Qb1 Ryan

Qb2 Renfree

Cut: Davis

After:

Qb1 Ryan

QB 2. Renfree or Yates

The Falcons ARE causing legitimate competition for QB2 with someone that might be able to unseat Renfree. They already decided Davis could NOT beat him out,

"I came in every day busting my ***," Davis said. "I was doing everything the right way.

"The only thing I thought was I wasn't going to get cut right now. I knew I had to compete for the job, but I thought I would be good through camp. I was no way being arrogant by saying, 'I'm already on the team.' I just had the feeling that, yes, I'm going to be in camp for the Falcons."

Falcons are a joke of a franchise. Clown material

Bum TJ Yates. Going to be following closely this dudes pre season. He better make sure he is on point in pre season

Ryan is a leader. Everything Davis said was 100% accurate. I mean I wouldn't think he would call him a noodle arm playoff failure lol

These two posts are prime examples of why you get called a troll these days. Calling the franchise a joke after going a different direction at backup QB and your criticism of Ryan is rather ridiculous...

Okay, I was going to let this go after saying my little piece yesterday about releasing Davis but after reading his interview comments posted on ESPN.com

(http://espn.go.com/b...grips-with-fate)

I'm a little more pissed about what the **** are we doing as a team. Smitty has said over and over again that everyone is going to have to compete for their job this year. But after reading the interview article with Davis I see Smitty is full of dung!!! Davis said he found out they traded for TJ and that they told him TJ was going to be the #2 and that he was being released, WTF!! So where is the competition there? Not only was he told we are only going to carry 2 QBs right now we have 4 on the roster which means there is another QB out in the dark who did not know it before but does now & the other one is going to probable get signed to the practice squad. It's a reason why TJ was being released by the Texans but the Falcons are to blind to see it. TJ SUCKS!

Of course Yates was brought to be the #2. Whether he wins that job or not isn't part of that discussion though, I think you are reading too much into that statement. I fully expect Yates to win the job, after all, he has tangible experience where our other QB's do not...

he is better than the rookie and the 2nd year guy who missed his rookie season....he has started NFl games and won a playoff game....its pretty obvious we have upgraded the backup QB position

I think it's obvious too. But you can't fix stupid. Yates is a proven back up, as much as I liked DD he never stepped up in Preseason despite all the time he had to do so.

I think it's obvious too. But you can't fix stupid. Yates is a proven back up, as much as I liked DD he never stepped up in Preseason despite all the time he had to do so.

Wrong YET AGAIN MD

In 2012 he was good in pre season

Undrafted rookie QB Dominique Davis has been a "very pleasant surprise" to coach Mike Smith.

"He's done some nice things," Smith said. "He's got a strong arm. He's very athletic." A redshirt freshman at Boston College when Matt Ryan was a senior, Davis finished his career at East Carolina. He's likely practice-squad bound.

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution Tue, Jul 31, 2012 04:49:00 PM

A lot of NFL front office men are "buzzing" about Falcons undrafted rookie QB Dominique Davis, according to Dan Pompei of the National Football Post.

Athletic with a strong arm and excellent poise, Davis has gone from pleasant early-camp surprise to Matt Ryan's long-term backup. The former East Carolina star finished the preseason 33-of-56 (58.9 percent) for 402 yards (7.2 YPA) and a 3:3 TD-to-INT ratio. His stats would have looked even better if not for an inordinate number of late-game drops by his receivers.

Undrafted rookie QB Dominique Davis continues to be a "revelation" since training camp started.

Davis completed 10-of-18 passes for 121 yards a touchdown against the Bengals Thursday night. He showed poise on a potential game-winning touchdown drive, but was victimized by two drops. Davis already looks better than John Parker Wilson, and will force the Falcons to consider keeping three QBs on the roster this season.

most undrafted rookie QBs get just one offseason to show what they can do....he got 2.5....he should thank his lucky stars that he made about a million bucks out of the NFL

Wrong YET AGAIN MD

In 2012 he was good in pre season

Undrafted rookie QB Dominique Davis has been a "very pleasant surprise" to coach Mike Smith.

"He's done some nice things," Smith said. "He's got a strong arm. He's very athletic." A redshirt freshman at Boston College when Matt Ryan was a senior, Davis finished his career at East Carolina. He's likely practice-squad bound.

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution Tue, Jul 31, 2012 04:49:00 PM

A lot of NFL front office men are "buzzing" about Falcons undrafted rookie QB Dominique Davis, according to Dan Pompei of the National Football Post.

Athletic with a strong arm and excellent poise, Davis has gone from pleasant early-camp surprise to Matt Ryan's long-term backup. The former East Carolina star finished the preseason 33-of-56 (58.9 percent) for 402 yards (7.2 YPA) and a 3:3 TD-to-INT ratio. His stats would have looked even better if not for an inordinate number of late-game drops by his receivers.

Undrafted rookie QB Dominique Davis continues to be a "revelation" since training camp started.

Davis completed 10-of-18 passes for 121 yards a touchdown against the Bengals Thursday night. He showed poise on a potential game-winning touchdown drive, but was victimized by two drops. Davis already looks better than John Parker Wilson, and will force the Falcons to consider keeping three QBs on the roster this season.

lets see if ANY NFL team agrees with these sports writers.....he is done in the NFL....if Vince Young can't find a team, DD is done....DD is a poor man's Vince Young