Did We Win The Dent/yates Trade?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dent was set to count roughly $860,000 against the Falcons 2014 salary cap, but by shipping him off the Houston, his $725,000 base salary gets cleared off Atlanta’s books. The Falcons do however take on the remainder of his unallocated signing bonus in terms of a dead money hit of $135,725. In Yates, the team will have to absorb his $645,000 2014 base salary on their cap hit, which is obviously $80,000 lower than Dent’s, freeing up that space on their 2014 cap.

Again, while the Falcons could have secured a much better quarterback if they were willing to spend money, the value on the Yates-Dent trade was just too good to pass up. Had the Falcons tried to sign someone like Carr or Grossman, it likely would have cost them at least $1 million more in 2014 cap space. And a player like Freeman, probably an even higher amount.

Very good Trade

You can't compare the trade IMHO. The only loser in this is TD.

I don't know, before Weatherspoon got re-hurt

there were ABOUT 15 LBs on the roster,(7 OLB--8 ILB, just a guess) normally they keep 5/6. ---with new scheme they MAY keep more (or less)-----only 2 UDFA rookies

A lot of guys were going to get cut.

Getting something at all for 1 of them beats cutting 6-8 for nothing gained

guess you could blame someone for having that many (15) on the roster

What's wrong with playing yates 50% of pre season and then once we've gone comfortably ahead in regular season, let Ryan come out and rest.

I'm just remembering that there have been several games "with comfortable leads"(17-21- points) at half time,, only to lose that lead in the 3rd quarter

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

The only real winners in the Yates/Dent trade goes to.......................the realtors.

Actually not even that much considering Dent is an Atlanta Native and might have been living with family and Yates is also from the Atlanta Suburb area so he might be living with family. But who knows? The Houston realtors won for sure though.

I don't think wither team won. We got a serviceable backup quarterback and they got depth at linebacker. Truthfully, I didn't see Dent making the final squad. He is largely a special teams Guy. and the rookies are doing well there essentially making him expendable. Both teams got what they wanted. Houston still needs a Quarterback. And really, we could use a decent linebacker to back up Worrilow in the middle.

I gained a lot of respect for Yates a couple of years agao. I like him and glad he's a Falcon. That said, wasn't he waived???

I really like Yates as not only a back-up but trade bait down the road..... Yeah, they were gonna cut him but the Falcons made the move....

Falcons acquired QB T.J. Yates from the Texans in exchange for ILB Akeem Dent.

On Tuesday, it was reported that Yates had been cut by the Texans. A source informed Profootballtalk that once word got out around the league that the Texans were planning to waive Yates, teams started calling about a trade. In Atlanta, Yates should have the clear edge over Dominique Davis for No. 2 duties behind Matt Ryan. Also in the mix at quarterback for the Falcons are Sean Renfree and Jeff Matthews. Yates, 27, has a 2-3 career record and led the Texans to the franchise's first playoff victory in 2011. He has as many postseason wins as Ryan. Jun 19 - 12:43 AM

I really like Yates as not only a back-up but trade bait down the road..... Yeah, they were gonna cut him but the Falcons made the move....

Falcons acquired QB T.J. Yates from the Texans in exchange for ILB Akeem Dent.

On Tuesday, it was reported that Yates had been cut by the Texans. A source informed Profootballtalk that once word got out around the league that the Texans were planning to waive Yates, teams started calling about a trade. In Atlanta, Yates should have the clear edge over Dominique Davis for No. 2 duties behind Matt Ryan. Also in the mix at quarterback for the Falcons are Sean Renfree and Jeff Matthews. Yates, 27, has a 2-3 career record and led the Texans to the franchise's first playoff victory in 2011. He has as many postseason wins as Ryan. Jun 19 - 12:43 AM

I like Yates, I just don't know if all of that had to be done...no matter. I like the player.