Did We Win The Dent/yates Trade?

THE ICEMAN

I think even as bad as dent was at times he still started like 20 games and had his moments. its not like he was drafted and cut injuries probably held him back from possibly grabbing a bigger role as it seemed as he would have a good game and then get injured.

Were Yates did go to the playoffs winning a game as well but didn't really do a ton. As he mostly turned and handed the ball off to Foster and at the time at least played behind a decent OL and with a top notch defense. Plus I'd ask why he never got the chance to start last year and had the same coach after "leading" them to the playoffs as some people like to say(when he was really more so along for the ride in my opinion) and was beat out by a undrafted rookie.

He should be a solid backup but I'm not sure I'd picked him over veterans like Fitzpatrick or hassellbeck or Orton as those types hit the market all the time and who have had ample playing time before having spots of success and are more than capable of coming in and running a team. If your going to go younger so to say a athletic guy who can get out of the pocket and makes plays and basicly simplify the game so to say probably makes more sense.

Its an Intresting trade with spoon going down. Dent I don't think would have started but he added good depth if we had another injury and was a very good STer and knew the system so they must of really have viewed Yates as a guy who could come in and still lead the team to the post season if needed.

Again I'm not bashing anyone as both players have question marks and have had spots of success. More so was it a smart trade as Dent really added good depth.

All in all my opinion is that I think both teams got good value here the falcons got a quality backup and the Texans got a great value in dent as well.

I'll say it was an even trade at least on paper but it is hard to value a guy like Yates who you hope never plays vs dent who should if nothing else be a top notch STer keeping maybe one of your starter from having to play st.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idk... I do think Yates is an improvement at the backup QB spot. I also think we could have picked up someone before the start of the season and kept Dent. Maybe they had seen enough though to know he wasn't going to make the team...

That's my thought. Must like some of the young kids to part ways with Dent.

It was a win on both sides. The Texans got a decent ILB for depth, we got a good backup QB which we've direly needed, while only giving up an LB that we were probably going to cut anyway. We had too many LB's on the roster to keep, getting some value for releasing one of them is a smart move.

Both teams gave up players that would have been cut by their teams regardless. Which team is the "winner" will be determined by which team holds onto their player, and gets the most value, for the longest. Right now, it's pretty even.

Just completing the circle of sending their back-up QB to the Falcons in order to avoid a QB controversy - Falcons did the same when trading Schaub to the Texans...

Yea we kind lost out on that trade though after what happened with Vick but fortunately it work out as we ended up with Ryan

Guest Negatorris

Well with our questionable OL, I'd rather have a young backup QB with some playoff experience than a mediocre LB who barely showed much improvement over the years.

Well with our questionable OL, I'd rather have a young backup QB with some playoff experience than a mediocre LB who barely showed much improvement over the years.

I want a solid backup regardless, but I am actually excited to watch our O-Line this year. First time I can say that in years

Posted this in the other thread and it was ignored but maybe it won't be ignored in this thread.

Example A - 11/20 (55.0%), 159 YDS (8.0), 1 TD, 0 INT, 97.7 QB Rating

Example B - 10/21 (47.6%), 316 YDS (15.0), 2 TD, 0 INT, 125.6 QB Rating

I have presented to you two examples of QB's that have won a playoff game. One QB gets absolutely no credit for his team winning a playoff game with him at QB and the other is getting all the credit for his team winning a playoff game with him at QB. I'll let you figure out which is which and why wins and losses are a QB stat when they favor your opinion and why wins and losses a team stat when they discredit your opinion.

He should be a solid backup but I'm not sure I'd picked him over veterans like Fitzpatrick or hassellbeck or Orton as those types hit the market all the time and who have had ample playing time before having spots of success and are more than capable of coming in and running a team. If your going to go younger so to say a athletic guy who can get out of the pocket and makes plays and basicly simplify the game so to say probably makes more sense.

We don't have a quality backup QB because the guys you mentioned are in around 1-2 million at least. This is purely about the salary cap. We now get a Decent backup QB on a low wage for a year and we get to see how he looks. Honestly Dent was pretty much gone next year so this way we at least get to take a look at this guy for a year. I can't tell you how bad I thought our backup QBs have been since Redman.