A Scenario

We are in the 4th quarter. The score is 23-21 we are up against the Saints, their offense is on their own 35yd line with 50 seconds left on the clock.

QB Brees, RB Thomas, WR Colston/Stills/Cooks, TE Graham, OT Harris, OG Grubbs, OC Goodwin, OG Evans, OT Strief

Who are you looking for to stop them from getting into position for at least a field goal?

For some reason, this scenario brings back a lot of memories.

Almost all of them are bad.

With that said, I honestly have no Idea.

I really hope that something very odd happens like Justin Houston and the Chiefs management completely piss each other off to the point of no return, but that is just wishful thinking.

If I had to pick someone to make a play as of right now, it would be Willy Mo on a disguised safety blitz up the middle now that both Soliai and Jackson are a part of the d-line if it was on a 3rd down.

For some reason, this scenario brings back a lot of memories.

Almost all of them are bad.

With that said, I honestly have no Idea.

I really hope that something very odd happens like Justin Houston and the Chiefs management completely piss each other off to the point of no return, but that is just wishful thinking.

If I had to pick someone to make a play as of right now, it would be Willy Mo on a disguised safety blitz up the middle now that both Soliai and Jackson are a part of the d-line if it was on a 3rd down.

I would agree if there wasn't two guys with 4.3 speed on the field. Willy Mo has to stay in coverage. I mean who do we have on Graham?

Guest Negatorris

I'm looking at Nolan. He has got to send the heat in this scenario. Breed loves to make desperation throws and he gets picked off a lot because of it. Nolan bringing the pressure should net us a turnover.

Being conservative will result in a sure loss.

I'm looking at Nolan. He has got to send the heat in this scenario. Breed loves to make desperation throws and he gets picked off a lot because of it. Nolan bringing the pressure should net us a turnover.

Being conservative will result in a sure loss.

Turnovers are extremely difficult to manipulate. My question is, where is this heat coming from? Biermann, Mass, Osi. Let's not forget they have a good line and Pierre is unaccounted for too. He's not a bad receiver and has made things difficult, he's also a monster blocker.

I would agree if there wasn't two guys with 4.3 speed on the field. Willy Mo has to stay in coverage. I mean who do we have on Graham?

Oh, I has forgot all about defending Graham.

That is why I am highly jealous of teams with 2 or more very good pass rushers because it allows their defenses to do so much.

The Chiefs could very well end up having 3 very good pass rushers this season. They should at least let us have one lol.

Guest Negatorris

Turnovers are extremely difficult to manipulate. My question is, where is this heat coming from? Biermann, Mass, Osi. Let's not forget they have a good line and Pierre is unaccounted for too. He's not a bad receiver and has made things difficult, he's also a monster blocker.

Could be edge rushers but if anything I'd count on our big guys inside to cause the most disruption. Between Hageman, Solia, Jackson, and Babs they can get to Bree's. If Peters somehow plays, he can get there as well.

Im going with a 3-3-5 look I'll have Babs, Soilia, and Hageman man the front incase of some run trickery but still 2 guys very capable of mandhandling their interior with some speed and power. I'll have Bartu, Worr, and Bierman as the LB setups and have Bartu or Biermann bring some extra heat while the other drops in coverage in the middle of the field incase of a slant and can react fast enough incase it is a run. Then i would have my best 3 CB's all on WR's Lowery dropping in coverage to help where coverage is weak and moore sneaking up to Blitz from the SS position.

Figure with bringing the 3 big dudes, Bartu or Biermann + Moore with a decent enough scheme from Nolan we might can get to them in a open gap. While still having 1 LB shadowing the RB for anything he tries and 5 guys in coverage trying to keep everyone covered enough for someone to get home.

It gives them the idea that we are playing it safe with so many guys in coverage but we still bring 5 guys from different levels and angles making their O-line be accountable and playing well.

The way you have it though sounds like a 3-5-3 though. Give us a breakdown of who you have.

Well the twist and stunts are to confuse brees. But the main purpose is to contain brees in the pocket. The base in this set up is a 3-3-5 nickel formation with the linebacker not showing blitz. Corners are pressed and the idea is for the weak side linebacker to make a play and force a fumble. The press corner coverage is to keep the ball in brees hand a Lil longer. Gram most likely will be right side in the case the linebacker bump him and the middle and strong side linebackers are in press zone. Yes it's a miss match with our linebackers covering gram but if it works out the way it's supposed to he won't have that time for gram to get open. But if he is able to get open there's minimal damage seeing the safeties aren't deep.

We are in the 4th quarter. The score is 23-21 we are up against the Saints, their offense is on their own 35yd line with 50 seconds left on the clock.

QB Brees, RB Thomas, WR Colston/Stills/Cooks, TE Graham, OT Harris, OG Grubbs, OC Goodwin, OG Evans, OT Strief

Who are you looking for to stop them from getting into position for at least a field goal?

How many time outs do the Saints have ? If Saints have zero timeouts I'm sure one shot by Brees will be a seam route shot to Graham . So I put my best defensive athelete on the field and make sure he plays over top and make sure Graham double covered and Southward is glued on him and his only responsablity

Then I send a creative blitz like bring Alford off the corner.Trufant locked up with Colston

and if Brees beats me deep to a streaking wr so be it.

Edited by teach and educate

Becasue Saints are basically a pass first team, I would be looking for the LBs and CBs to stop them. Might be a simply answer but this is what I would be looking for first and foremost.

I'd actually sell out in coverage. If they get within FG range, it's over anyways. I'd go 4-2-5. Bracket Graham with our best cover LB and Moore, try to crash the line to the far sideline while having the other LB play a shallow zone (or possibly delay a blitz) in hopes of reducing the size of the field for the offense, press man coverage with the FS coming in to play a robber. You'd have to put Tru and Alford on an island, but like I said, if they get 5 yards, it's likely over.

We line up in the 4-2-5 with this lineup an get them off the field...

Babs,Soliai,Jackson,Hageman

Bartu,Umenyiora

Trufant,Alford,Arenas,Moore,Lowery

The goal here is let the front 4 plug their offensive line and then blitz Osi, and the rest cover their 5 targets like so....

Cooks-Arenas

Stills-Alford

Colston-Trufant w/ Lowery as safety help

Graham-Bartu w/ Moore as safety help

Thomas-Anybody can cover Thomas in this scenario if Osi can't get to the QB just let him sneak out and get Thomas. They rarely send RBs deep so if Osi can't cover a short route he shouldn't be playing.

Edited by dirtybird#11