Julio: I Feel Like I'm The Best Receiver In The League

OC

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000359748/article/julio-jones-i-feel-like-im-the-best-receiver-in-the-league?campaign=Twitter_atl

Julio Jones: 'I feel like I'm the best receiver in the league'

Going back to the beginning of last offseason, NFL Media analyst Gil Brandt, VP of player personnelfor the Dallas Cowboys dynasty of the 1970s, opined that Julio Jones had a slight edge on Calvin Johnson as the NFL's premier wide receiver.

Needless to say, it was a controversial stance.

To the surprise of no one who understands how high-level professional athletes are wired, Jones agrees with Brandt's assessment.

"I feel like I am the best receiver in the league," Jones recently told Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com. "Every receiver should feel that he's the best. It's all about confidence. You should never put another man in front of you and say he's better than you.

"I never compare myself to him (Johnson). When I was coming out of college, they used to talk about me and A.J. (Green). We're two different receivers. He's good at what he does, and I am good at what I do. Like the LeBron (James) and Michael Jordan thing. You can't compare the two."

From a statistical standpoint, Johnson wins in a landslide. If the Falcons' spread-the-wealth aerial attack is factored in, though, Jones narrows the gap. He's unquestionably the engine that makes Atlanta's offense go.

When Roddy White was dealing with a nagging high-ankle sprain early last season, Jones was on pace for a league-leading 131 receptions and 1,850 yards before foot surgery shut down his run at a historical campaign.

"There's a handful of people on this planet," quarterback Matt Ryan told Prisco, "capable of doing some of the things (Jones) is capable of doing."

Now that future Hall of Famer Tony Gonzalez has retired, Jones should pick up where he left off early last October.

Although Jones is targeting a Week 1 return from surgery, he said Tuesday, via The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, that he is already "back to the old Julio."

One of the rare receivers capable of producing week-in and week-out as the focus of the opposing defense's game plan, Jones insists there is "no one, period" who can cover him one-on-one.

The revamped Saints secondary will be the first to test that boast in the season opener.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to read too much into this, but I think it's good to hear Julio say these things, particularly coming off the kind of season-ending injury he had. Aside from debating whether or not he's the "best" WR in the league, what this tells me primarily is that he feels he's healthy enough to put up some great numbers this season; otherwise, I doubt he'd sound as confident as he obviously does here. I think both Julio and Roddy are primed to have outstanding seasons. My only question on offense is Toilolo.

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

Not to read too much into this, but I think it's good to hear Julio say these things, particularly coming off the kind of season-ending injury he had. Aside from debating whether or not he's the "best" WR in the league, what this tells me primarily is that he feels he's healthy enough to put up some great numbers this season; otherwise, I doubt he'd sound as confident as he obviously does here. I think both Julio and Roddy are primed to have outstanding seasons. My only question on offense is Toilolo.

I have no idea why people are questioning replacing Gonzalez or even Toilolo. The Falcons brass has made clear they eliminated Tony's position from the offense, and we're going to see more 3 WR sets with TE being more of a blocker. If anything the receivers are more of a question that Toilolo.

This mirrors my observation on Julio. And Toilolo, of whom is a big red ? mark for me.

He's too long and thin to use leverage and brute strength to his advantage in the blocking game.

And his hands are a huge mystery, like Lockness Monster kinda mystery. Do or don't they really exist ?

Too many projects at key positions can be hazardous to a teams health.

This mirrors my observation on Julio. And Toilolo, of whom is a big red ? mark for me.

He's too long and thin to use leverage and brute strength to his advantage in the blocking game.

And his hands are a huge mystery, like Lockness Monster kinda mystery. Do or don't they really exist ?

TE is a key position? When?

Why would saying I am strike fear into an opponent anymore than his accomplishments on the field?

I FEEL like I am the best wide receiver in the league.....

VERSUS

I AM the best wide receiver in the league....

Adrian Peterson says he's the best running back in the leagu...and even predicted (inaccurately) that he would break the Rushng yards record after he was 8 yrds shy

Lesean McCoy says hes the best running back in the league and backs it up by saying look at his on the field stats this past season (disregarding Adrian completely, even though there is no beef)

Richard Sherman tells everyone he IS the BEST in the league...

Marshawn Lynch won't even speak to the media, because he feels he is the best and says I'll show it on the field (BEAST MODE)

Matt Ryan even told them to "Get The F*** Off My Field"....

Floyd Mayweather, Muhammad Ali, etc....

The greatest athletes have a habit of conveying a sense dominance in their position when they speak even in quiet manner....

In Julio's defense he is coming off injury...I just want my players to THINK they ARE the BEST, not FEEL they are one of the BEST...(Huge Difference In Mindset)

Edited by AlphaOmega

Have you sen this years pics of Toilolo? He beefed up a lot.