Matt Ryan Without Tony Gonzales

i do feel like that in 2009 the signing of Tony G slowed down Ryan's progression as an NFL QB. Too many forced throws to Tony G in 2009, i kind of feel like he force fed Tony the ball that year. We had a pretty good offense in 2008 and MR won Offensive rookie of the year. We didn't have a lot of stars on our offense either, Michael Turner was great but he wasn't a star before he came to Atlanta, we had a decent OL in 2008, Sure we had Roddy White but RW wasn't the same kind of WR he was with Vick as he is with Ryan, a lot of dropped passes by RW playing with Mike Vick, Joe Horn signing helped RW develop as a WR and a weapon for Matt Ryan. Plus Vick just threw the ball too hard and it was hard to catch. You arm chair fans are going to say that's an excuse but i played WR so i know it's a legit excuse for RW with MV7.

Anyway, Matt Ryan had no defense in 2008, transformed the offense with Turner's run game and could hit Justin Peele in the end zone for TDs, i kind of feel like Tony G signing was a waste back then, we should have spent that money on defense imo. As good as a QB that Ryan has been I think playing with Tony G may have slowed his progression.

Now that he has spent the past 5 seasons relying on Tony to bail him out when he gets pressured or needs a first down or needs a TD, What does this do to Matt Ryan as a QB for the 2014 season? Hopefully the TEs we have now can somewhat fill the shoes of Tony G but there is a big differance when your standing back there and no body's open and you throw it up to a Hall of Famer to make a catch than to throw it up to a second year guy to make a play.

Edited by Miller2Rison

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I see both sides. Gonzalez got his job done, he was trusted for a reason.

But it stunted Ryan in giving other players chances I think. If Davis, Cone, Johnson, etc. are the receivers on the field, Ryan is throwing to Gonzalez 9 out of 10 times. It's kept him from trusting other receivers and helping them grow

Sounds to me like Ryan stunted his own growth. He is the QB right? Makes the decisions right?

I love this blaming of Tony. It is hilarious to me.

Edited by bt12483

Ryan doesn't put up the numbers he has without Gonzalez.

If you subscribe to the "QBs make others better" mantra...who has Ryan made better? What WR/TE has Ryan turned from "trash to treasure"? Who has he developed?

Edited by bt12483

Guest King Jigsaw

Sounds to me like Ryan stunted his own growth. He is the QB right? Makes the decisions right?

I love this blaming of Tony. It is hilarious to me.

I don't think anyone is saying "Darn you Tony Gonzalez for forcing Matt Ryan to throw to you so much."

I think we're more so trying to turn the loss of a Hall of Fame player and the greatest player to ever play that position into a positive by suggesting that our QB will continue to develop his game without having such a player as an 'easy button' to press when times get tough.

Sure we had Roddy White but RW wasn't the same kind of WR he was with Vick as he is with Ryan, a lot of dropped passes by RW playing with Mike Vick, Joe Horn signing helped RW develop as a WR and a weapon for Matt Ryan. Plus Vick just threw the ball too hard and it was hard to catch. You arm chair fans are going to say that's an excuse but i played WR so i know it's a legit excuse for RW with MV7.

People understate and underestimate the difficulty in going from a right handed QB to a left handed QB. There are receivers that have had to be trained during whole off seasons to catch passes from a left handed QB and still struggle. In high school I went from catching everything in site to looking like a first time player once going to left handed QB. I think this effected MV7 completion percentage quite a bit. Many of his passes would hit the receivers right in the chest and/or hands and they would still drop it. Didn't help he fired them like Brett Farve, either.

i think you misunderstood what i was saying, in 2008 when he was a rookie he spread the ball all around. In 2009 he force fed the ball to Tony G, 2010-2013 he relied on Tony G to bail him out, im just worried without Tony G now hes going to be back there choppin his feet like Peyton Manning and throwing interceptions bc he no longer has Tony to bail him out. Now if he trusts Toolio or whoever to fill Tony's shoes then its no big deal but if his mind set is i lost my HOF tight end what do i do? chop my feet like peyton manning and throw interceptions? (not a knock on Peyton Manning, you all have seen him do it)

If the falcons plan on opening the offense and throwing deep more often, I can totally see both Ryan's completion percentage dropping and interceptions increasing, when you factor in the deletion of the seemingly automatic short completions to sure handed Gonzalez.

If the falcons plan on opening the offense and throwing deep more often, I can totally see both Ryan's completion percentage dropping and interceptions increasing, when you factor in the deletion of the seemingly automatic short completions to sure handed Gonzalez.

No one cares what you think Brad. Slow learner if there ever was one.

I think Matt Ryan will do fine with out Tony Gonzales He didnt have alot of his weapons last year and no o-line and stat wise he still was good. He also got some practice feeding the ball to other WR and people on the field. I am actually happy to see what the falcons do this year. I have a feeling we are going to see the Falcons Back when Roddy and Turner were hitting off into the prime and making big names for themselves. I feel like we now have the complete falcons Offense that can hurt you in the pass and the run game. but on a much higher and explosive levels. As well we will have a defense that will shine IMO and will be rememberance of the old school falcons shut down D.

LOL derpy trying to act like he knows how the Falcons play football again!